• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how much is enough??

grom

Slim for 2009
I'm in the first week of my puree stage and am trying to stick the guidelines about eating carbs, protein, fruit, veg etc but I'm worried I'm eating too much! The guidelines say 'stop when you feel full' but after a lifetime of being overweight that's easier said than done! I don't always feel hungry but then worry if I don't eat, I won't be getting the goodness my body needs to heal after surgery! Should I keep a count of how many calories I'm having?? I daren't weigh myself in case I haven't lost!! AAAGGGHHHH!!

I get a weird sensation when my tummy is full. Like i could eat more but i will be sick. Its like when sick rises in your tubes from right down in your tummy. I cant explain it. Stick to the guidelines and you wont go far wrong. Take care R x

Thanks - guess I'm just panicking that it won't work for me!!

ohh Grom must be really nice to have something you can feel in your mouth sliding down other then liquids... time for my first shake today

ohh Grom must be really nice to have something you can feel in your mouth sliding down other then liquids... time for my first shake today

:eek:

O, the memory of LL & CD... I never realised that I would miss something chunky in my mouth to get my teeth into.

If it were me I woudl pobably write down everything you eat and drink (dont get obsessed though) then if you eat something that fills you up you will remmber or something tha knocks you sick. You coudl also write teh amount down i.e. yoghurt size pot etc...
then you will remember what size of portion fills you

good luck x

I think the problem I have is not knowing what 'full' now feels like! I keep a list of everything I have and mark off whether it's carb/protein/veg/liquid etc but it's the portion sizes that concern me.

the guidelines i have for suitable puree foods are

Protien
S/s milk
Yoghurt
25gms of purred meat
25gms soft cheese

Carbs
2 tblspn purree porridge
1/2 weetabix
1 tblspn pureed potato
2 tblspn beans/pulses pureed

Fruit & Veg
100 mls fruit juice
100 mls tomato juice
1 tblspn stewed fruit
1 tblspn pureed tinned fruit
1 tblspn pureed veg

the recommended is to aim at 5 protein portiens a day, 4 carbs, and 5 fruit.veg

Last edited:
Yeah those are the same as mine - but it also says stop eating when you feel full and that's the bit I find hard! Should I eat all my weetabix cos it's good for me or do i stop at half cos I'm full?? Or am I full??

i think its trial and error then you eat until you feel full ie you start to feel a heave as if your going to be sick then you know you have gone a little too far, next time you make sure you have that little bit less

i still have this to come as well

grom you will find on the pureed stage you can eat quite a bit. for me the full feeling is a tightness in the chest. too much and i have an elephant sitting on my chest. as you progress through the stages you will find some meals you can eat more than others and each day can be different. even at the puree stage try to get used to moving the food around yr mouth and eat slowly
hth
hc

i think its trial and error then you eat until you feel full ie you start to feel a heave as if your going to be sick then you know you have gone a little too far, next time you make sure you have that little bit less

i still have this to come as well

personally for me it is the intence pain where nothing you do will shift it other than being sick. Its only happened once it felt like i had a knife driven through my chest to my back and it took my breath away. It was instantaniouse as soon as i took that one to many mouthfulls but also when going from puree to mush and the food was too dry. Its not like being sick its more of a massive belch followed by a load of froth a little like a baby possiting.

In time you get used to listening to yr body and you will know when enough is enough.

hc

I never really felt 'full' during purees. I just served myself a couple of tablespoons of protein & veg or protein & fruit or protein and carb. It wasn't until I went to soft foods that I felt full. No need to count calories at this point, just make sure you eat from each food group and concentrate on your protein.

The trick is to eat often and eat your protein first. The fullness will come and you will know it as it is a bit uncomfortable. This will work for you hun. Purees slip down easy so the pouch is empty more quickly so you can manage more than you will be able to once on regular food. Don't worry, you are doing it right!

Thanks everyone! The dietician has said the same things and said not to worry about eating too much at this stage as the fullness will come when I'm on hard food. I've stopped panicking now and have had some lovely salmon today liquidised with a very small amount of WW low fat sour cream - delicious. Have also got a stock of low fat, low sugar protein drinks to make sure I'm getting my protein. Hubby has removed the scales to the attic for me so I'm not jumping on them every day and I'll just get weighed at boots every few weeks. Am feeling good and some of my clothes are too big already!!

hi hun, it takes a while to figure out what your body needs. i never felt hungry and was eating no where near what i should have been. it is early days for you and you may find that your weight loss initially is slower than you hoped alot of this is down to your body recovering after the op. Let you body tell you what you can and can't manage it takes a while but you will get there x

Back