• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much is to much post op

moonflower

How much did you have in one go with soups/milk
i have half a tin of soup taking my time but i dont think i feel full after.
I can also have half pint milk in about 30 mins.

I space the drinks out and soups out throughout the day i have a tin of soup a day about a pint milk and sf squash sipped

i do have two baby spoons of petit filous sucked till liquid and bit of cheese sucked till liquid

Does this seem alot to have at once because i dont want to stretch the stomach
Any advice warmly welcomed

Ali
xx

Hi Ali

I find that with anything liquid I've always been able to have loads. During my liquid stage I could easily get down a full portion of soup and even managed a grande skinny latte @ a coffee shop a week after surgery. My dietican explained that fluids etc flow freely through your pouch so there's no chance of stretching it.

Once you are on solids you will notice when you are full.

Hope that helps x

Thanks
hope it works that way for me too. I know i'm only few weeks into it but there is no way i want to fail this as i have all the other diets i've been on

thanks
xx

I was really worried about the amounts I could fit in and convinced myself that I hadn't had a bypass or it hadn't worked.

The 1st time I tried to eat a boiled egg soon cured me of that! I couldn't even manage half of it. Regardless of how much I chewed it seemed to be lodged in my chest for about an hour.

I still find now that I can eat more of some things than others. Fruit / Salads, loads of it, but solid protein, chicken/turkey/beef etc only small portions. I guess that's why the dieticians tell you to eat those 1st.

Try not to think of this as another diet, for me, I'm trying to think of this as my new way of life and hopefully I'll never go back to the way I was.

Thanks Gail

for me it is a new beginning. I think once I get to eating normally i will learn quickly what i can eat and cant

thanks
xx

When your on liquids there classed as slider foods , foods which go into your pouch and back out pretty fast . You cant really have too much of these if your following the fat and sugar content rule that your surgion gave you, and if your keeping a steady flow of calories protiens and liquids this will help you heal , its not until your on solids that you will feel a big restriction in your pouch x

Oooh...this thread is similar to my latest post too and really helpful answers. Thanks everyone.

In additions to the explanation about liquids emptying from the pouch fairly quickly, it is sometimes also advised that in the early days you follow the volume guidelines given by your bariatric team (some do and others don't). So usually you start with say 1oz (fluid) at a time - add a bit more slowly at any given time. You can actually completely fill the pouch with liquid before it all flows out. Ever notice the so called foamies when you've drunk just a bit much and quickly ? Foamies = when your mouth suddenly fills up with foamy saliva and swallowing just doesn't seem possible. The reason for drinking or eating liquids/sloppies by volume is that the nerves to your stomach have been cut and you are unable to feel restriction because the stomach brain signal is weak to non existent. This changes obviously as you heal and move along your journey. Your capacity to hold more food in the pouch grows as you heal. It is entirely normal but can nonetheless be shocking/surprising. I suppose eating by volume reassures you that you are not eating beyond your pouch capacity and takes away the "have I damaged my pouch" fears that most of us have no doubt had at one time or another. At just over 8 months, my pouch capacity had me thinking the pouch was stretched. Not so. I've just started focussing on eating dense, drier proteins with lightly cooked veg and while I eat more than say at 3 months post op, I certainly still eat relatively little and have good restriction. I just have to LAY OFF THE BAD CARBS.

Pouch stretching requires some serious abuse. There doesn't seem to be any danger of that from what you are eating. So while you can eat say 150g of cottage cheese, it is likely that you are eating it fairly slowly, are chewing it somewhat and swallowing it in something of a liquid state. All good.

Thanks everyone its reasurring to know these things.
Rising sun thanks I only have a couple teaspoons at a time and yes chew to liquid state

Thanks again it good to hear everyones experiences

Ali
xx

I'm sure all will go well for you. As others have said slow and steady. Chew chew and chew again

Wishing you well

xx

Back