• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much should we be eating?

phatmomma

Am i the only one who worries i am eating too much? Yesterday i seemed to eat a lot up until and including lunchtime...

Today i've been hungry too, this is what i had:
mini shredded wheat for breakfast
banana mid-morning
2 rashers of bacon with scrambled egg for lunch
yoghurt this afternoon
2 fish fingers n 2 small rosti rounds for tea
little bit of s/f jelly with a blob of l/f yog on for afters :)

Feels like loads but when i look at it written down it don't seem so bad....

t's looking fine to me Julie. Oh my word, bacon.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........I feel like a Bisto kid!:giggle:

I would LOVE some bacon!

No seriously, you must be doing fine, you're losing weight steadily.

What would you have eaten pre-op? A heck of a lot more than that, I'm guessing!

I feel like that Julie... I'm sure I've been given a bigger pouch than most. Today I feel like I've been constantly eating! I'm definately really hungry after soup right now so think I'll be moving onto mashed this week! x

im pre op so i dont really know, but when written down it doesnt seem to much at all, you can prob get more in as alot of your foods is protein :) xx

looks good to me.
Do you really think drinking a lot really helps with the weight loss, I'm lucky to get 1 litre of water in along with my 2 milky coffees

Honestly Julie, at your stage there is no way I could have managed even half of that, but then I think I have the opposite problem and that my restriction is too great!

The amount you have listed is the kind of quantities I manage now at 13 months post op. Some days more, some days less.

Honestly Julie, at your stage there is no way I could have managed even half of that, but then I think I have the opposite problem and that my restriction is too great!

The amount you have listed is the kind of quantities I manage now at 13 months post op. Some days more, some days less.

Sam it's responses like this that make me worry! How come i can eat that much? Tbh i could have easily nibbled on some toast last night as well as all i ate during the day. I lay in bed feeling hungry last night!

It's ridiculous when i sit here thinking maybe i should do w/w or something because of my slow losses and because i can eat so much...

Sunday i can't remember what i ate but i ate loads or so i feel...

I'm gonna ring the dietician and ask how many calories i need to be going for a day....

It seems ok to me Julie. It's certainly not over-eating so the weight will come off nice and steadily. It will seem like a lot to you after the first stages post-op.

I too seemed to eat a lot yesterday, but when I put it into myfitnesspal it was only 739 cals. A big leap on the 300-400 I was managing last week but still way under what is recommended for non-bypass patients.

I wouldn't worry too much about it really. You're not snacking on naughty things.

Julie I think I eat more then you, I'm gonna keep a diary and ask for help on here to see what I'm doing wrong. Some days I fell I have no restriction at all

I struggle to know too Julie. I always try and put my meal on a little tea plate but even then compared to what others are eating I think I have more.

Yesterday I had:
2 scrambled eggs and left about a fork full
3 low fat cream crackers with extra light philadelphia
A piece of mackerel and 3 new potatoes without the skin with cauliflower and carrots.
4 tuc crackers
a pkt of quavers

i have started feeling more hungry now Julie, and have also started picking too, i feel like i am eating tonnes although compared to pre op its not, but i thought i would be eating a lot less than i am at the moment.
xxxx

Hi Julie (only me LOL). I was thinking, and this doesn’t happen very often. Just a thought though, why don't you write out a typical days diet i.e. what you used to eat pre op and compare it to what you eat now.

If it were me for example, I would have to remember portion size, the sweets, biscuits, chocolate at work when I pass by the cabinet. The things I don’t even realise I’ve put in my mouth until I’ve done it, food that doesn’t even touch the sides … small portions of mash potato which actually takes up half the plate because it’s what’s left in the pan.

Two fish fingers, I would moan if I only had six!

You are already reaping the benefits physically, your love of walking, could you have done that before? Be good to yourself, you have the rest of your life to enjoy this gift, it might take time, we all differ, but you are definitely showing the effects of weight loss and you understand what you are doing. You are so lovely and so very supportive to everyone on here and believe me it will come off, that days menu plan you wrote is a quarter of what I eat now.
….hangs head in shame …..

Sam it's responses like this that make me worry! How come i can eat that much? Tbh i could have easily nibbled on some toast last night as well as all i ate during the day. I lay in bed feeling hungry last night!

It's ridiculous when i sit here thinking maybe i should do w/w or something because of my slow losses and because i can eat so much...

Sunday i can't remember what i ate but i ate loads or so i feel...

I'm gonna ring the dietician and ask how many calories i need to be going for a day....

Hi Julie, she probably wont tell you how many calories a day because I asked her about 6 weeks ago. She just kept telling me to eat healthy (yeh like obviously I'm good at that.....).

I have now settled on around 800 cals a day, and am losing about 1lb a week now which I am happy with. But thats with a band.

Hu Julie

I dont know that much about bypasses but it does sound possible that people are going to get different levels of restriction just like each bander will feel restriction differently.

I think what Im trying to get at is that we are all different and if what you are eating means you are losing then fine, it certainly sounds healthy enough.

It wouldnt hurt to raise your concerns with the team though just to put your mind at rest x

Hi Julie,

We were done more or less the same time and I have just done a thread on what I eat and I think it is roughly as much as you.

I think having more protein has worked for me, I try and have protein at each meal and I do lose more the weeks I stick to that.

I wouldnt worry, they say we are suppose be able to eat a childs size porton and what you listed is was an average child would eat.

You havnt mentioned what you drink??

I don't know if it's the same for you Julie, but when I had my cbt therapy one of my tasks was to eat three meals per day and I really struggled with it because I felt I was eating so much. I wasn't at all, but previously I'd often skipped breakfast and eaten a lot in one session during the evening. So maybe it takes our heads a while to get used to eating so frequently?

Mary my first task of the day is to put the kettle on. Don't look at breakfast till i have had a mug of tea :) Arrive at work at 8.30 and put the kettle on again, will have had about 3 - 4 mugs before lunch, squash after lunch (remembering the half hour rule) and then a nice cup of tea when i get in from work about 3.30... Then of course through the evening i'll have at least one drink! So i drink enough i think :)

As for food i always ate three meals before my op and i always manage three now no problems :) :)

I think i'll start writing a diary out and take it with me to my next appt or if the losses are still slow then i'll get an appt with the dietician before then..

I know it says i've lost 3 stone, but you have to remember 16 of the 41 was lost in two weeks, the other 25lb is since my op....

julie i also feel i can eat to much some days my trouble is that im getting into the picking habit, before i had the op i could pick all day but wouldnt sit and eat a normal meal and im getting like that again . but i think its more to do with the fact that i dump about 2 or 3 times aday now on anything. so now i say to myself well i have to eat so if i dump then so be it.

today i have had
2 crumpets with peanut butter, breakfast
2 scrambled eggs with baked beans, lunch
i macdonalds cheese burger and 5 wedges but i was so full afterwards. first time with a burger since op . my granddaughter birthday tea...
and i have just had 2 slices of small loaf bread with cheese

i have had 3 little lollypops and 3 sherbet lemons
and 2 low fat yogurts.but i know it is a hell of a lot less that what i would of been eating pre op ...

Tray it's hard isn't it? Me and you will keep on plodding at it though...

The picking was becoming a thing for me so now i'm putting a real effort into thinking when i go in the kitchen so as not to do it... And as i type this i'm wanting to go in the kitchen and pick grrr

Todays menu:

2 weetabix (breakfast)
1 apple (mid morning)
1 of those John West Low cal low gi tuna meals in a pot followed by a Mandarin muller light yog
Jacket pot (ate half almost), 1 cherry tomato, 3 pieces of chicken with tikka masala sauce (had tea at Asda)

Into that equation throw about 5 mugs of tea, one big glass of nas squash and a milky coffee :)

Oh and a three mile walk (work and home again)...

Back