• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Should I be able to eat this much yet?

LisaG

Disappearing slowly
Hi all,

It's been almost 2 weeks since my op and I've had a difficult start to eating and drinking...usually only managing a few glasses of milk and/or a yoghurt per day.

I've been feeling much better the last few days and decided to move things on a little. This morning I had a scrambled egg and managed to eat it all.

Later I had a yohurt (125g pot) and again managed all of that.

This evening I had half a pot of cottage cheese (about 150g) and this also went down fine.

I'm worried that I'm able to hold too much in one go. I know calorie wise that this is still quite low in total but I didn't think I'd be able to hold this much in my pouch.

I do get the full feeling (high in the chest - a bit like heartburn) and prior to today was not holding much at all. Today no heartburn feeling and felt I could have put a bit more in but didn't want to incase I end up stretching the pouch.

I know everyone is different but do you think this normal people?

I was the same to start with and used to really worry myself because I was eating quite a lot at times, other times I had tight restriction in my pouch but I definately had lots of times in the earlier days when I worried myself about eating too much.
As I went on this stopped and I seemed to even out.
I still have days when I could seemingly eat and eat all day with only a couple of breaks (obviously I dont) and then other days even drinking feels like too much.
You will be ok hon, dont worry too much. You could phone your team and ask them but I reckon you are doing fine.
Steph xx

Hi all,

It's been almost 2 weeks since my op and I've had a difficult start to eating and drinking...usually only managing a few glasses of milk and/or a yoghurt per day.

I've been feeling much better the last few days and decided to move things on a little. This morning I had a scrambled egg and managed to eat it all.

Later I had a yohurt (125g pot) and again managed all of that.

This evening I had half a pot of cottage cheese (about 150g) and this also went down fine.

I'm worried that I'm able to hold too much in one go. I know calorie wise that this is still quite low in total but I didn't think I'd be able to hold this much in my pouch.

I do get the full feeling (high in the chest - a bit like heartburn) and prior to today was not holding much at all. Today no heartburn feeling and felt I could have put a bit more in but didn't want to incase I end up stretching the pouch.

I know everyone is different but do you think this normal people?

Hi Lisa this doesn't seem to be a lot as it is slider food (apart from the egg). Once you staart to move on to more solid food then you will notice your restriction. I was exactly the same when on mash and sloopies, boy did I have a shock when I moved onto solid 2/3 mouthfuls and I thought I had done some serious damage. You will know when you have eaten too much as the feeling in your chest is like nothing you've ever felt before. x x x

What you are eating seems normal to me. I found that if I ate a little bit more on one day the following day I couldnt barely eat. Some days you can eat more than others.

Thanks guys that's all very reassuring. I'll have to try not to worry too much at the moment then and hope I feel more restriction when I'm on solid foods.

Thanks for the 'slider food' info...will go and look up a bit more about that now.

Ta x

hi Lisa just seen your post must have just beat you to it as you know i thought the same glad to hear its normal.

I'm supposed to be on fluids till tues next week but was finding this boring as only like two flavour soups and couldnt take the fortimel drinks and too much milk makes me feel sick. so have started cottage cheese, cheese (well sucked) Did try some dairylee yesterday as daughter didnt want it. Dont want to push it to much so have not gone onto full purees yet

xx

hi Lisa just seen your post must have just beat you to it as you know i thought the same glad to hear its normal.

I'm supposed to be on fluids till tues next week but was finding this boring as only like two flavour soups and couldnt take the fortimel drinks and too much milk makes me feel sick. so have started cottage cheese, cheese (well sucked) Did try some dairylee yesterday as daughter didnt want it. Dont want to push it to much so have not gone onto full purees yet

xx

LOL...from the replies looks like we're both quite normal!

I'm supposed to be moving onto sloppies from tomorrow but like you started a bit of cottage cheese and dairylea a few days early. Again like you I can't really stomach much milk. Find it easier though whizzed up with half a banana. I had a slice of corned beef broken up in my cottage cheese just a while ago and that seemed to go down well too. Still quite worried about not getting enough protein in. I'm sure you are too.

Are you managing to get enough fluid in? I still find drinking water quite difficult but squashes make me feel sick as they remind me of being in hosptial.

I'm ok with the fluids stocked up on robinsons so dont get bored with the flavours. I have half half apple juice and water.
I find petit filous gives me enough sweet flavour to take the taste from my mouth. Had a bit of tesco's ready done cheddar mash and mashed up beans that went down ok dont know why my daughter didnt like it.

I have a bit of prune juice too to keep things flowing

xx

Back