• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much to eat?

toll

Hi all, I have been in loads of pain after the band and finding it hard to eat and drink due to a burning pain. Now all of a sudden I'm able to eat, and consumed a portion of fish pie, but not sure at how much I should eat? It took 45 min to eat slowly but didn't feel any restriction after the surgeon said I probably should of had a bigger band because it was too tight! I'm so confused!!!

The guidelines I have from my provider are (for mush and normal stage after band)
~ food should fit onto a side plate.
~ eat a morsel of food about the size of a 50p piece and chew well, after eating, leave 30 seconds before taking another mouthful
~ eat ONLY for 20 mins. Do not eat more even if feeling hungry, if any food left throw it away.

The eating for 20 mins coincides with the length of time it takes for the stomach to brain to register that you're full and also limits the size of the meal that you're eating, so as not to stretch the pouch or stomach.

Just to say, I didnt feel any restriction after my band particularly, and I had my first fill last week at 5 weeks out, I still only feel limited restriction, but if I time myself like the above, I don't feel hungry.

Another thing is eat until you don't feel hungry within that time and not until you feel full . . .there is a difference. But stick to the 20 mins.

top_kat said:
The guidelines I have from my provider are (for mush and normal stage after band)
~ food should fit onto a side plate.
~ eat a morsel of food about the size of a 50p piece and chew well, after eating, leave 30 seconds before taking another mouthful
~ eat ONLY for 20 mins. Do not eat more even if feeling hungry, if any food left throw it away.

The eating for 20 mins coincides with the length of time it takes for the stomach to brain to register that you're full and also limits the size of the meal that you're eating, so as not to stretch the pouch or stomach.

Just to say, I didnt feel any restriction after my band particularly, and I had my first fill last week at 5 weeks out, I still only feel limited restriction, but if I time myself like the above, I don't feel hungry.

Another thing is eat until you don't feel hungry within that time and not until you feel full . . .there is a difference. But stick to the 20 mins.

That's similar advice I've been told, my dietician even said set a stopwatch or alarm for 20 mins until you feel confident with things. Great advice x

My provider actually gives out a little sand egg timer for the 30 seconds, I got one when I went for my fill although she thought I'd already had one. It really does slow you down. I set the timer on the microwave for 20 mins, use the timer, but I've also bought a small lasagne type dish and if the food covers the base, that is more or less the right portion size for the 20 mins. Am finding that helps too

I think I'm taking to small mouth fulls then because I'm only putting in pencil rubber size piece in every time not a 50p!! I'm scared to eat because of the pain I got earlier I think, but because I haven't eaten in so long literally one yogurt a day for the past 2 weeks and 800ml of water I know I need to eat but I don't want to mess it up! Fed up of feeling weak!!

Try slightly bigger pieces but chew them well and see how you get on, but yeah, just checked my book from my provider and the most recent sheet they gave me with the timer and it says "morsel" but about the size of a 50p :)

Back