• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much weight lost?

Lady Shaz

Hi all you post-opers,

I'm still pre-op, but have the appointment with the surgeon next month. I'm still torn between the band and the sleeve. Would people mind giving me some stats to compare. What type of surgery did you have, what weight were you when had the surgery and what had you lost at the 3 month, 6 month and 12 month stages? Any failures, if so do you know why?

I'm just trying no get as much information together before I make the decision.

Many thanks.

Sharon x

I've lost almost 9 stone with my band. Most in the 1st year, I'm 10lb away from normal bmi now. I'm 19 months post op. It's hard work with the band but I'm really pleased with it & glad I chose it. It suits me

I had the bypass so can't help just wanted to wish you well with whatever you decide x

Im a bypasser at the very start of my quest I weighted around 28 stone by the day of my surgery I weight 25 stone having lost 3 stone on LSD now nearly 11 months post bypass I weight around 15.5 stone
no major set backs only been sick 1 time months post op still feel tired at times but blood tests come back fine some hair loss but knew that would happen

Hey

I had a sleeve.

I started at 30st

Op day I was 28st

3 months I was 23st

6 months I was 19st

1 year I was 15st 1/2st

Hope that helps :) X

Wow, that's amazing Sophiapink. You must feel fantastic. I think I'm leaning more towards the sleeve if I'm honest. Seems to have better long term results.

My consultant gave me the average weight loss for each procedure, which was:

Band: 50% of excess weight
Sleeve: 60% of excess weight
Bypass: 70% of excess weight

Those are averages gained from big data studies, but obviously on an individual level you can have people losing more or less.

My consultant gave me the average weight loss for each procedure, which was:

Band: 50% of excess weight
Sleeve: 60% of excess weight
Bypass: 70% of excess weight

Those are averages gained from big data studies, but obviously on an individual level you can have people losing more or less.

These are averages for the first year and very useful but its worth pointing out that by the second year they even out to almost the same.

Good luck with whatever you decide! x

I had a sleeve a year ago...
I've gone from 13st to 7st 5lbs and lost over 200% of my excess weight, I've had no issues, apart from not being able to eat much and am maintaining my weight.
I would day that long term you can put weight on by eating slider food and the surgery is a tool. You must stick with the rules!
Good luck x

I had a sleeve a year ago...
I've gone from 13st to 7st 5lbs and lost over 200% of my excess weight, I've had no issues, apart from not being able to eat much and am maintaining my weight.
I would day that long term you can put weight on by eating slider food and the surgery is a tool. You must stick with the rules!
Good luck x

Say what! do you mean 100% of your excess weight? You can't lose 200% of it. Your excess weight is 100%, if you lose all you've lost 100%

I needed to lose 6 stone, I lost 6 stone which means I lost 100%, 200% would mean I lost 12 stone - eek :D x

No 200 % is correct..I am now underweight with a bmi of 17...I have lost my excess weight an more

No when I started I didn't need to lose the amount I did..my excess weight was just under 3 stone. That would have taken me to a normal weight if just over ten stone. I lost that and then a few more stone..so I lost the excess weight which us 100 % and then I carried on losing to take me to where I am now. As I am underweight now I have absolutely no excess weight...so 100% was 2st 4lbs and as I've lost 5st 9lbs it's 200%.
Anyway..that's the stats...

I didn't have 81lbs to lose, maybe that's where the confusion is...I kept lowering my target as I went!

I am just ove ten months post surgery, I had a sleeve done and with the pre op diet and since surgery I have lost 7 .5 st and my bmi has gone from 50 (at anaesthetic assesment) to 34 at my last weigh in a couple of weeks ago, so am pleased

Back