• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how often do people be sick?

bahia

Just wanted to know how often are people sick. I am still relatively new as now 3 months in. Sometimes I can be sick twice a day and then other times go a few days without being sick. This morning had half a bowl of cereal maybe a bit on the quick side and then had to stop on the motorway to be sick. AAAArgghhhh!!!!:8855:

Just wanted to know how often are people sick. I am still relatively new as now 3 months in. Sometimes I can be sick twice a day and then other times go a few days without being sick. This morning had half a bowl of cereal maybe a bit on the quick side and then had to stop on the motorway to be sick. AAAArgghhhh!!!!:8855:

Hello there

If ur being sick then its one of a few things, either 1, over eating, 2 eating too quickly, 3 eating foods that don't agree with your band, 4 your too tight.

Even being just over a year post op I will not / cannot rush my meals or I will be sick. It's a real learning curve but you will get there in time, and not forgetting once u have already been sick your pouch will be sensitive for a couple of days in turn which may cause u too be sick even more. please take it easy xxx ( p.s meant to say I am never sick) xx

Bahia I had my op 7/7/11 and I was sick/pb last night for the first time. I ate a beef cob left from hubby's packed lunch, I was hungry and gobbled it down without chewing properly. I've always chewed properly and took my time since the op, the cob was after a couple of glasses of wine and I 'forgot'. I feel little to no restriction most of the time so I know it's from not chewing.
I hope you're being careful and trying not to rush, I know it must be hard when you're on your way to work. HUGSxxx
xxxx sharon

thanks guys. I think it is probably a combination of things. I'm scared of saying i'm too tight as sometimes I have very little restriction so dont want any fluid removed.

I defo think it's gobbling too quickly. Or should that be gulping? Not sure. I don't think being sick should be part of our lifestyle otherwise why would we spend so much money getting the op ? I'm speaking personally here - sometimes I don't chew enough, I swallow too much, and I don't take time with my food. Everything has to slow down big style. It takes a lot of getting used to.

i too can go for days without being sick/pb and agree that it is when i rush or eat a bit too much that it usually happens or if i get complacent and try to eat things i know i cannot manage hugh learning curve as julie said but we will all work with our band as best we can to get the best results we can. i try really hard most of the time as i really hate being sick :O

I've only got minimal restriction just now with only 2ml in my band and I was nearly sick just now eating one of those swedish krisprolls. It was definitely because I ate it too fast. I had been making a cup of coffee and mindlessly buttered it and ate it before the kettle had boiled! My husband has noticed that this always happens when I'm stood in the kitchen preparing either food or a drink and I'm not thinking about it and I swallow too fast. I reckon its definitely a speed thing because when I actually sat down and took my time it all went down fine. I wonder how long it takes before the new habits really become 2nd nature. My nurse says that the aim is for everything to become natural ie slow chewing is the natural way to be and so its normal.

Last edited:
For the first 2 weeks after a band fill, im sick very often (maybe once per day) just through being tight. after 2 weeks its settles down. Im now 4 weeks after my 3rd band fill and not been sick at all in the past 2 weeks. Each time i have a meak the first few bites i eat very very very slow and small small small bites. It might be mind over matter, but this really helps me get through the meal (and sometimes the full meal) with no problems.
Today i tried a hash brown and i could feel it was going to get stuck, so i stopped and waited and the feeling passed. Its a big long learning curve!

Back