• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How old were you when you took the plunge.....?

I was 20 when i first went to ask about it and am 22 now and had it done last September :) xxxx

I was 46 when I had the band fitted last year but I think there is a right time for some things and this was definitely the time for me. I think we respond to challenges better when we are really ready for them and I think this surgery has to be a very carefully thought about. I do sometimes regret the wasted time though
Best wishes
Jo XX

it was 3 months before my 30th birthday i had my op...and it was a year prior to that i went to see my GP about it

but hey...my life is beginning (again) at 30 :D

i'm 32 and my WLS is on Wednesday ~scared~

Oh good luck scarlet!

I was 51 and wish I had done it 15 years ago. Went private but with all I have spent over the years on pills, clubs and special diet food I could have probably saved a fortune!!

Have not felt this good for a fair few years!!

64 oldist yet i am so glad i had it done, i feel great and have more energy saggy skin i will live with

i was 52 and 5 days on oct 28th 2010 wen i had my sleeve . as for saggy skin that wont kill you!!!!!!!!!! but all that fat will get you in the end of that i,m sure so its a no brainer me thinks1

I was 50 when I had my op in 2008.
Had enquired about 2 years before - thinking that it was only available privately.
Would have asked before if I'd known!!

Best thing I've done after my daughters!! and hubby I s'pose!!

xxxx

Following up on that Mary, I'm very close behind you at almost 59 ... I am now 7 weeks post up and after a few up and downs feel really good now. You have been an inspiration to me Mary, I have closely watched your progress. Do I regret having surgery so late, well yes in some respects but it really didn't cross my mind until two or three years ago when I was sick and tired of going to weight loss clubs etc., and taking three steps forward and two steps back. I am happy, losing weight, it can come off in it's own time and really happy that I had it done even thought I am older.

Likewise Beth - same age, same reasons!

If I had known about weight loss surgery 20 or more years ago (I of course probably could`nt afford it at that time) I would certainly have gone for it. I just think about all those wasted years!

Mind you I`m not worrying about a small thing as loose skin, at my age its the least of my worries!

Some of you on here are very young - you have a wonderful chance to grasp this opportunity with both hands.
Once you have had your surgery and you have learnt to eat healthy and lose weight; don`t expect it to last forever without you putting the work in forever!

There are no guarantees with this surgery - you have to work with it to lose the weight; then perhaps the hardest part is to maintain your weight for all the years ahead.

Love Kat x

I was 51 and wish I'd had it done 10 years ago. Saggy skin - yes, and I'd like to say it doesnt bother me... but I'm getting vain for the first time in my life ! It's a small price to pay though and I don't regret it one bit.

I'm 25 and being banded next week..Been thinking about it for a long time and decided to do it now rather than leaving it..could only see myself getting bigger otherwise!

I'm 40 and my op is next month so I'll see if life really does begin now! lol
Have thought about it for a few years but always thought 'they'd never give it to someone like me'. Then last January I went to the GP about my constant tiredness, was referred to hospital who diagnosed sleep apnoea. The consultant actually asked if I'd consider being referred to see if there was any medical reason for my weight (!!) so after a few more appointments another consultant wrote to my GP recommending that I be put forward for surgery.
And so here I am - looking forward to the life ahead of me (after 21 Feb!) My hubby is also having same op on same day. We've only been married for five and a half years - it took us both a long time to find the right one! Now we both want a long and active life together, and after a miscarriage 5 years ago and no success getting pregnant since we're keeping our fingers crossed that losing the weight will help our chances of getting pregnant in a year or so - age allowing!

I had my bypass at 50, and 50 is the new 40! I began investigating WLS after being inspired by Fern Btittain's success. I was 49 and the realization suddenly dawned that without doing something this 'drastic' I would be fat and fatter and fatter for the rest of my life.
It hasn't been plain sailing but I'd do it again in a heart-beat. :D

I had my hair cut today (it used to be very very long) my sons' reaction when they came in from school (they're 17 and 18) : Mum you look like you're in your 30s!
It isn't even my birthday! :D
Grace xxx

Hi was 45yrs old , i'm nearly 1 yr on from surgery and struggling a bit , but hey it's probably my own fault !:sigh:

Back