• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Psych making life hard for me/How to challenge a decision???

FireandBlood

Hey guys,

I have been lurking on this site for a while and I have been so inspired by many of the forum members’ journeys. I have joined because I’m in desperate need of some advice. Sorry I’m very long winded so apologize in advance if I’m rambling.

I was referred by my GP to my local hospital for WLS last May. I met with the Bariatric surgeon and dietician in September and they said that I could possibly have my surgery by that Christmas or latest by January. The dietician said that I would just have to see the psychologist before commencing on to surgery. During this time, my mum was also battling Stage 4 cancer and she unfortunately went downhill fast. By the time of my psych appointment, my mum was in hospice and I was told that my mum was actively dying and only had a few days. The very next day, I had the appointment with the psych and I was hysterical and feeling like I couldn’t live without my mum. The psych discharged me from the service because she felt I wasn’t mentally prepared for my surgery. The next day my mother died.

Surprisingly I coped considerably well with my mother’s death. My GP and I, agreed that the best way for me to move on was to have WLS so I can start leading a productive life. My GP referred me back to Bariatric team and they said that if I could get a letter from the mental health team to confirm that I was stable, I would be accepted back under the care of the bariatric team. I obtained the letter and sent the evidence to the team. I waited 2 months for a date and was given an appointment to see the Psych again in another 3 months.

I finally saw the psych. As soon as I walked in to the office, I knew the appointment was going to be whole lot of trouble and strife. She agreed that I had coped well since my mother’s death but she kept focusing on it and re-directing the discussion to issues of grieve. I told her although I am hurt and missing my mother, my day to day life is more affected by the barriers caused my weight. I told her that I find it hard to go out as people are constantly staring at me and it really affects my mood and self-esteem. Also tried to tell her that I am currently unemployed and am desperate to get off JSA and get a job but it will be impossible for me to get a job the way I am. She agreed but I didn’t feel she really acknowledged my feelings, she keep going back to my mum and grieving. She said that she feels I’m well enough to progress on to surgery but wants me to see the dietician and CNS once again. I left the appointment feeling so depressed and deflated.

Today I got the date for my dietician and consultant appointment and it’s in JANUARY. This morning I could have turned into the incredible hulk. I could understand if was just due to a waiting line but it’s just based on the psych’s judgement which I feel is wrong. I am angry that i have made to excessively wait for these appointments and after that I’m probably going to have to wait another couple of months to be scheduled for surgery. It’s supposed to be six months from referral to treatment or surgery.

I really want to challenge this decision but I'm unsure on how to proceed. I have co-morbidities in the form of high blood pressure and heart problems (not severe enough to rule me out for surgery) and thinking that I could get a support letter from those teams?. I was also thinking of contacting PALS. I was just wondering if there’s something else I could do??

Sorry to hear about your mum and that you're feeling stressed by all this. I don't know where you are and every hospital is different but this isn't really a quick process for anyone, anywhere. I think perhaps they led you to have high expectations that this would be over and done with so quickly. Most bariatric departments are pretty oversubscribed and there are pretty long waiting lists resulting in long periods of waiting for appointments. I just waited from November to July from seeing the dietician to seeing the surgeon!! The waiting is in part also to do with preparing yourself mentally for the process. It is very frustrating, I know, but I'm not sure this time it's psych being difficult for you as you are progressing through the system - if they had a problem they would have recommended you not have surgery. It's probably more a case of being part of a very busy department. Good luck with your journey, hope you don't have to wait too long x

Back