• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When to start the process . . .

top_kat

I was just wondering if those who have been through a tummy tuck etc could give me some help and pointers.

Prior to my WLS, I wasn't expecting to be so negatively effected by the skin. And while it didn't bother me on my arms to begin with, mainly my stomach and pubic area, my arms have just (almost quite literally!) slapped me around the face to see how bad they are.

I still have a couple of stone to go until target, but my skin around my stomach area is so awful and hangs so low, that I wouldn't be at all suprised if its a good stone on its own. Now that I've lost almost 10 stone, the weight of the skin sagging is giving me really bad back ache, its also causing my c-section scar from almost 13 years ago to be chronically itchy. :sigh:

I do not know whether anything will be able to do be done on the NHS (Im in Gloucestershire) and had my surgery private. But I'm just wondering when I should potentially start the process and whether I shoudl approach my GP.

When I approached them regarding WLS, they actually laughed saying "thats a bit extreme" and yes, maybe it was, but being 24 stone was also extreme!

Any thoughts on how best to approach this and whether I should just head to the docs or indeed bypass them and start saving for private surgery?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help . . .

Kat x

I should find out what the criteria is. At my hospital your Bmi has to be 27 or under and maintained for over 1 year. They don't do arms or legs so I'm paying for those and will worry about the rest later.

I'm more critical of my body now then I ever was at 22 stone!!

I would approach your GP, I have already discussed this with my GP and he was very supportive if I lost the weight and maintained he would support me

I was turned down for a TT that I desperately needed,my doctor agreed and referred me but the pct said no :( good luck though Kat it really is a postcode lottery xx

It absolutely is a postcode lottery but you don't get if you don't ask. Definitely start the discussion now with your GP and ask for your PCT criteria as others have already suggested. Even if you meet the criteria (as I did) there is no guarantee of the funding but you have to try. If not to give you an idea, I have just forked out £5.5k on a fleur de lis tummy tuck. Have no idea on cost for arms though.

Good luck and keep us posted. xx

I've just been referred by my gp after a year of maintaining my weight at around 11st. Whether it goes beyond that I won't know for a while or what the pct criteria & decision could be. If we don't ask we will never know if we do we may never know if it could be possible. Good luck.

Girls remember pct's are gone now!

The PCT's may be gone in theory, but the decision is still made by the same people. The clinical commissioning groups still hold the purse strings. It's changed in name only.

thanks everyone, I think I will get through my holiday in August and then make an appointment with the gp.

If the pct's are no longer, is there anywhere now that details the requirements to get funding?

when I had my mdt few weeks back it was explained that although pcts have gone not every elective op is under national guildlines like wls is , I know 100% here its not done but it is done in some places it might be your not long enough at the weight yet tho I think a lot of places are 1 or 2 years maintaining befor it agreed but wish you luck x

Back