• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hunger and other stuff

nakipa

I am in a real quandry at the moment as I am planning to have WLS in the new year. My husband was absolutely against it and totally non supportive but is gradually coming round to it. I am about 15.7 stone and 5'3'' and so my BMI is about 37. I have arthritus in my hip and have a few symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes (I am going to see my GP next week about that).

My husband keeps asking questions and some of them I cant answer. I have done loads of research and in my mind I am happy to have the sleeve although I am worried about my willpower as it has always failed me before. That is why diets have never worked for me as I can lose the weight but never keep it off.

My husband said to me this morning that if I was hungry after this surgery then he thinks that after 18 months I would end up committing suicide as I hate to be hungry. I get grumpy and irritable when I am hungry. I said that I thought that because the hormone was gone from the stomach after surgery that you didnt feel hungry but he doesnt believe it. Can anyone tell me do you feel hungry after the surgery or if you do feel hungry that after a small meal that hunger is satisfied for several hours?

I am quite an active person and we have a small farm so I am quite busy with that so use a lot of energy.

I really want to do this for me but I have to make sure I have the answers for him indoors because if I have a problem after or even look like I am moaning or struggling afterwards he will just be saying 'I told you so!' and I dont need that.

hi nakipa welcome.
I know exactly how you feel its very difficult knowing which surgery is best for you.
I was going to pay for a gastric band op, the funding was refused but.in the meantime I had been really unsure whether that was the op for me as I didn't want to go back to my normal eating habits once the fills etc had stopped so I have decided on a bypass as its for life and no going back to eating huge portions etc.
I found just reading as much as I could on here gave me a great deal.of help....people are very friendly and honest.

I am nearly 12 weeks out from a RNY bypass and although I do still crave certain foods I do not actually feel hungry. But to be honest as a an extremely overweight person I don't think I ever knew what real hunger was.

When I smell certain foods they do trigger a feeling of want but the actual hunger feeling is very rarely there. I do feel peckish, I also still enjoy certain foods but a lot of WLS people will tell you sometimes we can actually forget to eat and drink so it is important to remember this.

Whatever you decide I wish you well.

I was scared of hunger, i used to eat in case I got hungry because it used to give me the shakes, sweating and feeling sick. I never used to go more than 2 hours before eating again. I am now two weeks post op and have not felt any hunger. I have to watch the clock to remember to eat! It is weird.
My husband was also against me having this surgery, he came round to the idea when he came to my diabetes education sessions and realised just what a deadly disease it is. Now he is so happy I have had it doen, he too worried about me being miserable because i miss food, I love food.

Hi Nakipa,

Here are a couple of articles about how bariatric surgery reduces appetite, desire and hormonal food cues:

Gastric Bypass Reduces Appetite For Fat? | Dr. Sharma's Obesity Notes

Bariatric Surgery Reduces Response to Food Cues? | Dr. Sharma's Obesity Notes

Both articles refer primarily to the full gastric bypass. However, I understand that the sleeve also has very similar appetite suppressant effects, as it removes a large portion of the stomach, including the part of the stomach which secretes ghrelin (the hunger hormone).

The only bariatric surgery that has much less effect on appetite and desire for the same foods as previously, is the band, as despite the restriction at the top of the stomach, the rest of the stomach below the band remains the same size (including the hormone producing part).

Hiya I had the sleeve done on Tuesday so 4 days post op I'm not feeling hungry at all I'm watching the clock so I know when to eat and drink.

Good luck hun hope this helps you decide xx

At nearly 15 months out (bypass) I can honestly say I've still not felt hungry, not even once. I often forget to eat!

For lunch today I had a cream cracker, 6 grapes and a pinch of grated cheese, felt totally stuffed and satisfied!

There isn't a single food I "miss".

I occasionally treat myself with a diabetic biscuit, piece of chocolate, sweet or sometimes make cakes with sweeteners but because of my lack of "hunger" I actually forget I've bought treats!!!!

You'll be fine and remind your husband that he'll also reap the benefits of you loosing weight, wink wink, nudge nudge!!!

Good luck.

Im 3 months post bypass. I dont feel hungry, but i know i should eat as i feel a little empty, nothing inpleasent though x

I am in a real quandry at the moment as I am planning to have WLS in the new year. My husband was absolutely against it and totally non supportive but is gradually coming round to it. I am about 15.7 stone and 5'3'' and so my BMI is about 37. I have arthritus in my hip and have a few symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes (I am going to see my GP next week about that).

My husband keeps asking questions and some of them I cant answer. I have done loads of research and in my mind I am happy to have the sleeve although I am worried about my willpower as it has always failed me before. That is why diets have never worked for me as I can lose the weight but never keep it off.

My husband said to me this morning that if I was hungry after this surgery then he thinks that after 18 months I would end up committing suicide as I hate to be hungry. I get grumpy and irritable when I am hungry. I said that I thought that because the hormone was gone from the stomach after surgery that you didnt feel hungry but he doesnt believe it. Can anyone tell me do you feel hungry after the surgery or if you do feel hungry that after a small meal that hunger is satisfied for several hours?

I am quite an active person and we have a small farm so I am quite busy with that so use a lot of energy.

I really want to do this for me but I have to make sure I have the answers for him indoors because if I have a problem after or even look like I am moaning or struggling afterwards he will just be saying 'I told you so!' and I dont need that.

Hello nice to meet you, can i just start to say that as we lose weight you dont hunger food as much as you do when being a larger person. i have found this being a yoyo dieter in recent years and when i have been smaller i havnt been so hungry.
Remember whatever surgery you decide to have you are doing this because you want it not for your husband...you will need his support hun.
Good luck with what you decide and remember this forum is wonderful there is always someone available with advise and people in the know.
xx

Welcome hun n good luck ;) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Nakipa,

I am 3 weeks post sleeve, and I can honestly say, you don't feel hunger the way you feel it before the op. As others have said, I could have happily gone without eating at all, but I know that's not healthy or good for weightloss, so I try and eat something small at mealtimes. I was always a big eater, so this is a revelation!

The surgery does take away the part of the stomach containing the hormone (forget its name!) that sends "I'm hungry!" signals to the brain.

However be prepared for the pre op diet (for two weeks usually) to be very hard, you've got a normal sized stomach and are eating next to nothing. If you really are a bear with a sore head when hungry, better tell hubby to take a two week holiday then!

On the subject of your husband though, I really think it's important to get him on side. I have a very supportive family of adult kids but even so, one of them was very negative, and I found that really hard. If it hadn't been for my husband being supportive I don't think I could have gone through with this op.

You say you have arthritis; well so do I, bad osteo arthritis in knees, spine and ankle, and it's the pain of that, seeing me suffer with it, that brought my husband round. Can't you tell him you're doing it for the arthritis, not for vanity? I think my husband might have been less supportive if he'd thought the op was just for glamour.

I must say my arthritis is already getting much better, even at this early stage, so it's definitely worth it.

Hi Nakipa, All the replies have been so positive and encouraging - but there is always one and here I am :( I think it must still be habit or because there's not a lot else going on in my life but I watch the clock because I want the next meal time to come around :( The thing is that I'm not hungry, and I am getting almost 18grams protein per day, but I think my brain is in panic mode and the chocolate habit is hard for me to break. I do seem to be in the minority so I expect that you will be ok. Best wishes.

i have rheumatoid arthiritis and osteo and 3 1/2 weeks after surgery feel it is a bit easier my diabetes is normal now and i have not taken any medication whatsoever since op. :) you don't say how old you are but i went downhill very quickly once i hit 45 the pain and movement which i could cope with got much worse i have a walking stick and hope to be able to leave that at home once my weight has reduced more xx there can only be benefits for you :)

Hi Nakipa, All the replies have been so positive and encouraging - but there is always one and here I am :( I think it must still be habit or because there's not a lot else going on in my life but I watch the clock because I want the next meal time to come around :( The thing is that I'm not hungry, and I am getting almost 18grams protein per day, but I think my brain is in panic mode and the chocolate habit is hard for me to break. I do seem to be in the minority so I expect that you will be ok. Best wishes.

As my surgeon said to another worried sleever: "Look, I operated on your stomach, not your head. What you do with the tool I have given you, is up to you."

It's true. We still need to tackle our addiction to food, and ask ourselves: are we eating to live, or eating to live? For me doing this procedure was freeing me from the tyranny of my own appetite. I don't think I have been addicted to food, and I'm SOOO happy not to feel I must eat a large meal.

As I tried to say before, (no idea what happened to my post) the surgery is on our stomachs not our heads. If you have an addictive attitude to food, you need to do the work on that yourself. Surgery is merely giving you a tool to help you with that.

Honestly? Those who say they don't feel hungry are blessed. I know when it's time to eat, however it's not the same as when morbidly obese phatmomma was hungry. I don't feel the sick in the stomach 'gotta eat, gotta eat' feeling anymore. I know if it's time to eat but a drink can sometimes help me hang on a bit longer if i'm at work and waiting on a meal break.

It's the food choices that you make that will make the difference. You can go for dense protein meals that will fill you more and keep you going for longer, or go for slider sandwiches n the like that are more loaded in calories and don't leave you satisfied for as long...

But it is life changing and will completely turn your health around xx

Thanks for all your replies. Hubby is still not convinced and just cant understand why I cant make simple lifestyle changes and lose the weight and keep it off! Duuhhh why didnt I think of that!

I am 54 and in the last few years have had a couple of serious accidents whilst riding my horses and because of my weight gain these are not recovering as well as they should because of the pressure I put on them.

Riding is my life, it is my raison d'etre and when I am heavy I cannot be as agile and accomplished as I am when I am lighter. Your whole centre of gravity changes when you are heavier. The accidents I had have all been when I was heavier and I think this is because I am less stable then.

Thanks again xx

Your hubby sounds like my negative daughter who btw is like a pencil and spends hours every single day at the gym. She couldn't understand why I couldn't be as disciplined as she is. I said to her "if I was like you, I'd look like you." They will never, ever relate. I accepted that with her, but I couldn't have coped if my husband had been the same.

Once I'd had the op however this negative daughter has been fine, even brought me round soup. So there you go.

As I tried to say before, (no idea what happened to my post) the surgery is on our stomachs not our heads. If you have an addictive attitude to food, you need to do the work on that yourself. Surgery is merely giving you a tool to help you with that.
Where do they do brain surgery to sort out my addictive attitude to food - or am I asking too much?

Back