• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hunger and other stuff

Hi Nakipa, All the replies have been so positive and encouraging - but there is always one and here I am :( I think it must still be habit or because there's not a lot else going on in my life but I watch the clock because I want the next meal time to come around :( The thing is that I'm not hungry, and I am getting almost 18grams protein per day, but I think my brain is in panic mode and the chocolate habit is hard for me to break. I do seem to be in the minority so I expect that you will be ok. Best wishes.

You are totally wrong if you think 18g of protein a day is enough! My dietitian told me 2 days ago that 40g is considered a low protein diet, and with the malabsorbtion part of the bypass you wont even be getting that! Try at least to get it upto 40g a day and see if that sorts out your hunger, I have not experienced hunger at all, the only reason I know i need to eat is when I get lightheaded, but even that's only if I totally miss lunch. x

You are totally wrong if you think 18g of protein a day is enough! My dietitian told me 2 days ago that 40g is considered a low protein diet, and with the malabsorbtion part of the bypass you wont even be getting that! Try at least to get it upto 40g a day and see if that sorts out your hunger, I have not experienced hunger at all, the only reason I know i need to eat is when I get lightheaded, but even that's only if I totally miss lunch. x

Our bariatric nurse told our group we must eat 60g of protein a day post op for healing and health. Then we went through everyday foods to see how much or rather how little protein there is in each, and how hard it is to get that much protein in.

eg. a 250g steak. You'd think well that would have more than 60g wouldn't you? But it only has 45g and which one of us post op can eat even a fraction of a steak that size?

So we must concentrate always on getting the protein into us. The rest of the food groups are much less important. I was getting panicky because I wasn't eating any veggies, they give me wind. Then a (non bariatric but very sensible) nurse friend said to me that I have to rethink how I eat. Before op, I would eat a lot of veggies because they are low calorie and high bulk. But now with such a small capacity I must get the protein in, and veggies if poss but if not, a good multivitamin pill a day can replace them.

Oh Marie, you are right, I checked my Eating Plan notes and it says 80 grams per day!!!! Thank goodness for you and this site. I'm struggling to find 18 grams per day and now I've got to find another 62 grams on top of that. I'm vegetarian - any ideas?

Our bariatric nurse told our group we must eat 60g of protein a day post op for healing and health. Then we went through everyday foods to see how much or rather how little protein there is in each, and how hard it is to get that much protein in.

eg. a 250g steak. You'd think well that would have more than 60g wouldn't you? But it only has 45g and which one of us post op can eat even a fraction of a steak that size?

So we must concentrate always on getting the protein into us. The rest of the food groups are much less important. I was getting panicky because I wasn't eating any veggies, they give me wind. Then a (non bariatric but very sensible) nurse friend said to me that I have to rethink how I eat. Before op, I would eat a lot of veggies because they are low calorie and high bulk. But now with such a small capacity I must get the protein in, and veggies if poss but if not, a good multivitamin pill a day can replace them.
Hi Ruthie, I thought it was 18 grams per day but Marie has just corrected me and when I checked my notes I've been told 80 grams per day. Where can I get a 250g vegetarian steak :)
I'll be posting tomorrow asking for ideas but for now I must go to bed to rest my head.

Oh Marie, you are right, I checked my Eating Plan notes and it says 80 grams per day!!!! Thank goodness for you and this site. I'm struggling to find 18 grams per day and now I've got to find another 62 grams on top of that. I'm vegetarian - any ideas?

Lots of pulses added to soups and stews? Beans and peas are quite high in protein. Grated cheese on top? Drink milk and yoghurt?

Tofu, tofu, tofu !!!

Ok, other than that, just had a quick google search for you:
Protein in the Vegan Diet -- The Vegetarian Resource Group

Hope that helps :) -- a few sample day menus they have adding up to 73 grams of protein a day.

Back