• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hungry!

Jinjanut

Hi all!

I am on the 1st week of my pureed stage. Most days I am fine with 3 or 4 very small portions. But today I am really hungry. Had some kidney beans in a curry sauce and some corned beef blended with milk. Now I want something else. Is this normal? I am worried I am eating too much - I am I supposed to be having ice cube size portions? I don't feel like I have overeaten.

Thanks xx

Could you have a little soup to top you up or a warm drink?

Jinjanut it might be 'head hunger' try having a drink but if your still hungry 30 minutes after the drink then have something to eat xxx

I think you maybe right. I have been staying with my family for the first 2 weeks of the op and now back home alone. I think it might be boredom. I went to work on Tuesday and hardly thought about food at all. Need to get a hobby!

have a milky coffee hun, that way because it hot itl take you a while to drink it and keep your mind of food for abit xxxx good luck on your pre op diet hun and your forth cuming op!

Head hunger is a killer! I am always "hungry" when Im bored but when Im busy I never think about food! I agree you need a hobby lol.....anything that takes your mind of it :D XX

Thanks all for your advice. It odd thing is this weekend it's been hard work getting much food down at all. Is this normal? Especially in the morning it feels like all the food is travelling down so slowly.

Only managed 2 teaspoons of cottage cheese pureed and some lentil Dahl pureed about 4 teaspoons. I am going to have a silmfast as I don't think I am getting enough food.

Xx

Watch out for the sugars in slimghastly, it can make you dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

You probably need to eat a bit more. But avoid the yucky slimmers foods. You're better sticking to 'proper' food. That slimmer food is packed full of additives and junk!

Get into the routine of eating proper food now and start making some good habits. Try some pureed cauliflower cheese, soup, yoghurt, milky drinks fortified with Marvel for extra protein.

And make sure you're drinking enough too. Thirst can still feel like hunger to me. But in all honesty, this is probably head-hunger. I've only just begun to feel hunger now at 6 months post-op, and then really just slightly peckish, not really hungry.

Grace xxx

Thank you ladies. I have packed some pureed cauliflower for lunch today and will get some soft scrambled egg when I get to work. What the best way to get additional protein. I was only having sf for that reason?

Xx

If you want a convenient liquid protein use protein shakes. There are lots of recommended types and sites on here, myprotein is a site that does sample size sachets so you can try a flavour before buying a big tub. You are looking for a whey protein with atleast 20g protein per serving and no more than 5g carbohydrates (but ideally 1-2g).

BUT don't use them as meal replacements. You should still have 3 meals per day, a protein shake can be one of your 1-2 snacks on top of that. They do keep you full for a long time though so best either mid afternoon or in the evening.

They do them in H&B yes, but they are more expensive and don't come in sample sizes, so you would need to but a whole tub (around £12-£20) and run the risk of not liking it. They do have protein shots (fruit flavoured drinks in test tube style containers) which you can buy individually while waiting for an Internet order, but check the carb content as some are loaded with sugars. They also do ready to drink cartons but again these tend to be loaded with carbs, mostly nit sugar carbs so shouldn't cause dumping but will slow down your weight loss and make you crave sugars.

Hi can anyone help? I can't keep any food down at all today. I had a spoon of soft runny scrambled eggs and it felt it it was stuck which made me sick. The same thing happened after water and then again later when I tried a couple of spoons of soup. Why is this happening and how do you get rid of it??

It could be that the eggs have caused a blockage. Try sipping warm water VERY slowly. A blockage can take a while to clear, and can mean you can't swallow any fluids or foods for 10-12 hours. Tiny sips of warm water can help soften the food and allow it to pass through.

If it lasts any longer than that then you need to go to a&e or if your hospital where you had surgery has an emergency line ring that as you are at risk of dehydration.

Once sorted, give your pouch a couple of easy days, stick to liquids and soups etc. Leave eggs for a few weeks before trying again. When you eat anything remember to take bites no bigger than the size of a pencil top rubber and chew to liquid.

It is common in the first few months post op to get trapped wind in the pouch which some people mistake for a blockage. The symptoms are an intense pain just under your sternum which radiates from front to back, some burping, and bringing up frothy liquids. It is caused by swallowing too much in one go or not chewing properly. What you've described does sound more like a little blockage.

Stay calm and relaxed, it will pass and you will be fine. One of the best things you can do is sleep as your muscles relax and it gives the food time to pass through.

No problem, update us tomorrow x

Back