• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hypertension

jaynefrances

Has anyone had high blood pressure pre op that has disappeared post op, and they've been able to come off their meds ?
I saw one of my GP's yesterday and he said that once you have it you always will and have to stay on the meds. However he did humour me by checking it and found that it was much lower than he expected it to be.
He has therefore backtracked a little and agreed to try me without the medication for a couple of months to see what happens.
I'm really chuffed to think i may be able to prove him wrong, but also a little nervous that he might be right and i may have to stay on the meds forever, especially as my developing hypertension was the driving reason for me having the bypass.
Has anyone got any positive experiences with this ?

My GP won't take me off my meds. Everytime she checks my BP it is fine, but she said it is only fine because of the meds. She said she will consider maybe lowering them in the future.

My weight loss hasn't been great so that maybe something to do with it as well.

Absolutely !
I was on a daily dose of 10mg Ramipril & 16 mg Doxasozine pre-op. Six weeks after my op I was taken off the Doxasozine; a few weeks after that the Ramipril was reduced to 5mg... and last week I was taken off them altogether ! My GP said "It goes to show just how much your weight influences your blood pressure..." I continue to monitor my BP at home and it's now perfect.

Thats great news Rose Im on 4 different BP meds and I hate taking them.....hopefully post op I will at least be able to reduce them :D x

Thats great news Rose Im on 4 different BP meds and I hate taking them.....hopefully post op I will at least be able to reduce them :D x

I'm sure you will, you'll see !

i have intracranial hypertension.... which is high amounts of spinal fluid inside rather than high blood pressure - my consultant reconmended Wls to me as a cure for this. i wish you luck for getting that resolved and off meds soon hun xx

I'll watch this thread with interest as I, too, started this journey when my BP went through the roof.
My GP thinks I'll probably always take the meds as she says the body gets used to them and it's really difficult to stop them. My BP at the moment is 120/80, which is better than it has ever been, even with meds.

ME me me.

I was on lisinopril and losartan pre-op and atorvastatin for cholesterol.

Haven't taken any cholesterol drugs since the day before my op - last cholesterol was 3.8.

Started my BP tabs when I was allowed tablets 5 weeks post-op, my GP stopped the losartan when my BP was low then halved the lisinopril. Then when I went for my pre-op assessment for my knee replacement the nurse said my BP was far too low and did I need the tablets - so I stopped them!!

Have had a normal BP ever since

Think your GP has had some sort of common sense bypass !! LOL

Good luck

xxx

Well I didnt think it was rocket science that if obesity contributes to high BP, diabetes and high cholesterol then if you reduce the obesity - the others are almost bound to be reduced.

I s'pose cholesterol and diabetes are only going to be as controlled as the type of food we shove down our necks!!

Silly doctors!!

xx

This is a really interesting thread; I've got my op next week and am on lisinopril but my doctor has already told me sh efully expects to take me off it within a few months...it is really interesting to see the varying opinions & views of different GPs...only time will tell if I can come off my BP meds too, but I really hope so!

I was on 3 different BP tabs pre op and have to far come off one and hoping my blood pressure will keep falling so I can come off more, last reading was 116/69. Due for my B12 jab tomorrow so gonna get them to check BP while I'm there

Back