• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SRH Psychologist said NO :(

:doh: he's a complete tit ive met you and ya entitled to this just as the rest of us are and ya reasons are very valid for wanting wls, he's an opinionated, anti wls pratt ! x

he's not a consultant or a bariatric nurse hes got no real idea of how we are and how we think !!!!!!!

gggrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!!!!!! unsuportive prick stopping ppls wls, his opinions count for nil in this and i will be saying so too !

x

Errrr ... bit scared now Liz :) Not really ... I am from Sheffield & have not had to go within a mile of a psycologist. I was asked pertinent questions at my first appointment with the surgeon but that was as far as it went. It really is about time the whole country followed the same guidelines :mad: I have had my surgery now but it is heartbeaking just how many others keep coming up against brick walls & so many are from the North East. Don't take this as an absolute, Rolanda ... keep fighting - it is a prize worth winning. :)

LOl.... don't hold back Liz! I agree that someone who has their own bigoted ideas about WLS should not have any power/control over who gets their op. Hope you got friends in high places that you can have a word with. xx

through my group its become apparent this person is making decisions about wether ppls ops go ahead or not from his own personal opinions about wls....... am not happy guys :( and my group members speak it 10 fold :(

sorry about any typos my glasses broke a couple of weeks ago and i cant see till next weds...... thanks not Specsavers :(

Is this the only guy ppl get a refferal to or is it the luck of the draw... Is he against bypass surgery per se or is it something deeper than that!!

Hi Rolanda,

I've had the same experience as you at SRH... he said that he wouldn't recommend me for bypass (two days after the consultant said I could be put forward onto the list as I'd met wl target) because of my 'relationship' with food.

I've had about four sessions since May and he's agreed that I'm ready to have a balloon as part of a 'staged approach'. I'm happy with that. I know I am fairly addicted to certain foods and I know that I eat for reasons other than hunger. His main concern is how I would deal with restriction - if I can't eat large portions or eat emotionally - how will I deal with it? I also know I get aggressive/frustrated and hit out if things don't go well for me - so I guess I need to do anger management too!!! but I'm keeping shtum about that...

I was totally gutted at the first session when he said that he was pending my case and I went home feeling suicidal. I'm surprised I didn't crash the car the tears just wouldn't stop and I was shaking so much.

Now, I'm just taking what I can get - and at this point in time its the balloon. It'll add on another 6-12 months (as I don't know what the waiting list is like for balloons at SRH) but I don't feel that there's much I can do as I queried with the bariatric team as to who 'had the last say' and he basically confirmed that the balloon would be done first if that was what the sych recommended. It was also reiterated to me in sessions that no surgery would go forward unless he felt comfortable with it - that he would have final say. I have to go back for more pscyh once the balloon's in place.

Please don't get disheartened.... your time will come.

PS I can't believe your sessions were 45 mins.. mine were 20 mins if I was lucky - I think I spent more time in reception!

Hi Liz - I did pick up that he didn't agree with the bypass and half the time I wasn't quite sure what he was wanting from me. The support group was never mentioned at all during the sessions - yet I would think that this would be helpful for anyone considering WLS to come to a session to get feedback from those who have been through it and how they have had to readjust their eating/lifestyles.

:wave_cry:does everybody have to see the phyactrist sorry abou the spelling
I am at Sunderland, Just waiting for my date but have not had to go through pshycatrist (thank goodness!) challenge him sounds like he needs it x

Hi Theresa :welcome2:back hun - I`ve missed you!

So sorry about your problem trying to get surgery, thought you would have been done and dusted by now hun x

I am surprised that they don`t think you should have the surgery.....Liz seems to know about this guy and the problem he causes with his attitude. Perhaps he does need to be challenged.....after all we can`t all be God! :worthy:

Hope you have some positive news before long hun x
Try not to be too down about it all...you have waited so long, it must be worth fighting for, not only for your sake but for your 2 gorgeous girls!

Sending you loads of big (((hugs))) :grouphugg::grouphugg::grouphugg::grouphugg:

Keep in touch with us on here - you will gain lots of new friends and no end of help and support xxx

Take care hun x

Love Kat x

i went to see Tony in June, had a few sessions, he didn't really understand why i was referred there in the 1st place. I found them ok but i must admit he was questioning everything i said.. like he was trying to get something from me so he could turn me down. But then i got discussed in a mdt in august and got the go ahead. Just waiting for an appointment in the clinic now, then an endoscopy.. Anyone know the waiting list for appointments at the min? x

You could have addiction transfer or simply cheat the surgery and this is likely to be why he didnt feel the surgery was for you from your history with food.
Tbh we all have the same or similar relationships with food and its down to the collective team whether you have surgery or not.They have to be satisfied you will work with the surgery and get the best from it.Maz x

Just been thinking about this again, Rolanda, and if with like me, Tony was suggesting that you may not be ready for surgery but would be suitable for the balloon (after some therapy) then he isn't totally ruling out the surgery.

He's using it with me as a staged approach to surgery - if I can lose weight with the balloon, cope with restriction and handle my emotions without the need to turn to food then these are good signs for the bypass surgery - should I decide that I still want to go ahead with it after six months with the balloon.

If I can't or don't lose weight with the balloon, or don't like the restriction or can't find other ways to cope emotionally then its likely that I will need to accept that surgery might not be for me and will need to work further with Tony on self-esteem and other issues.

It sounds like he's going down the same track with you so don't lose hope, the surgery is not totally out of the picture.

Hope this helps.

kimsvespa said:
:wave_cry:does everybody have to see the phyactrist sorry abou the spelling

Hi I am on list at SRH and psych was offered to me twice and I told them I didn't need it as I was fully aware of my issues with food. Thank gaud I didn't take it and it wasn't forced :)

I had the same at Luton at first I was so mad but after I went away and spent a week comfort eating, the light went on and I could see why. I worked hard and faced the things I'd buried for so long. I went back to my doctor 2 mths back saw and independent psyche got a letter from him saying my issues were dealt with and now I am awaiting a date to go back, so don't lose heart, keep strong and keep fighting for what you want x

Back