• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I’ve had my op - can’t believe it!

Hello to all on here. I had gastric bypass and my gallbladder removed on Saturday. I was so terrified but everyone was so reassuring and helpful. Got home yesterday afternoon and this morning I did my first solo blood-thinning jab.
Moving about is getting easier and I’ve found I can now sleep on my left hand side, which also makes breathing a bit easier.
Mentally I’m still a bit shell shocked about the whole thing. Still on liquids obviously so plenty of water, and yesterday I made soup from organic baby food and milk. It’s a massive adjustment but that was the whole point 😂
As I mentioned previously I’d had to delay my op because my dad was seriously ill in hospital. Amazingly he’s rallied a bit and I’m hoping I can drag myself in to see him today.
Thanks to everyone on here for your support - having this kind of surgery does feel like lonely experience in lots of ways because although my husband has been v supportive from a practical point of view he just doesn’t understand why I couldn’t just stop eating so much. Needless to say he’s a slim Jim with the appetite of a horse!
Good wishes to all here whatever stage of this adventure you’re on. I shall keep you posted with my progress x

lilyc

Hi and congrats. I had mine 2 weeks ago and it still doesnt feel like it actually happened. I have had some uncomfortable moments but otherwise getting on ok (although having an emotional day today). Ive lost 2 stone since starting the milk diet 3 weeks ago which is insane. Already some of my joint pain is easing although I dont think I look any different yet. Im finding the puree food difficult, its hard to find something that I actually enjoy eating (mash potato, cheese and beans is my go to). I just want to chew something but not too long now. Good luck going forward.

Sarnie

Hello, congratulations and welcome to the losers bench. Sounds like it all went well and you ate doing great. It is all a bit daunting, the next few months will be a huge learning curve, but you will get there, you'll learn what right for you, as it is different for everyone. Just remember the most important thing is to keep hydrated so keep sipping that water all day and get rest so you heal quicker. Keep us posted with your progress x

Bling Babe

Hi, welcome to the losers bench x I’m glad dads turned a corner too, it sounds like your doing great in these early days, water, water and more water is vitally important so it’s great that you on it. Keep in touch with us xx

Hello Sarnie & Bling Babe and thanks for your replies - I don’t feel too bad considering. And the first thing I’m amazed by is the change in taste. I tried a low sugar zero fat chocolate drink last night. Tooth rottingly sweet - yuk. Can’t think I’d have thought that before!
I must share this on here. The nurse looking after me said several years ago a woman had her bypass op, was discharged with all the diet info and strict guidelines for the journey. On her first Sunday out of hospital she decided to have a “ very small” ROAST DINNER. Ended up in emergency surgery having it removed.
Meanwhile I’m learning to love soup. Thanks again for your messages and support. x

Parsnip

Welcome to the losers bench xx

Morning all and
Hi and congrats. I had mine 2 weeks ago and it still doesnt feel like it actually happened. I have had some uncomfortable moments but otherwise getting on ok (although having an emotional day today). Ive lost 2 stone since starting the milk diet 3 weeks ago which is insane. Already some of my joint pain is easing although I dont think I look any different yet. Im finding the puree food difficult, its hard to find something that I actually enjoy eating (mash potato, cheese and beans is my go to). I just want to chew something but not too long now. Good luck going forward.
hello too to lilyc and Parsnip and thanks for your messages. Lilyc I can’t wait to embrace purée- at what point did you move to it?

lilyc

I started the pureed food after one day. It seems to be different depending on where you have the op. Ive got another 2 weeks before moving on to soft food. I cant wait to be able to chew something. I had to go to the doctors yesterday as I have been getting a lot of nausea so I’ve been given something to stop that and feel much better today.

Hi lilyc- yes there does seem some variance in what’s on the menu depending on where the surgery was done. Today I had some quite milky ReadyBrek - it felt like a banquet after soup, soup and soup. Glad you’re feeling better x

Day Eleven post-op and don’t feel too bad. I must say the biggest jolt to the system has been something my surgeon said when we first talked about the whole process: “Don’t forget - you won’t have food!”
I have been blithely eating my way through each and every day for years now with no thought of hunger or of actually needing to eat.
And not doing that does feel very odd. But a relief in so many other ways. Being able to put food into perspective (finally) will be a hugely positive step for me.
Hope everything is fine with all on here x

Lalapo

I’m new here. 5 months out. With sleeve op. I’d love people to give me ideas for getting most out of journey. I’m worried my sleeve not worked properly although I lost 5 stones I can eat loads and my weight loss has slowed down.

good luck ladies I hope you all
Keeping safe.

Bling Babe

I’m new here. 5 months out. With sleeve op. I’d love people to give me ideas for getting most out of journey. I’m worried my sleeve not worked properly although I lost 5 stones I can eat loads and my weight loss has slowed down.

Keeping safe.
Hiya, welcome, well done on your loss so fa.
so from what I’ve read you already know that wls is only a tool and we must work with it, every single day is a battle for me especially as Percy (my pouch) is so tolerant of sugar/fat. Everyone’s journey and weight loss is different so you can’t compare but what you have lost so far is great and I wouldn’t be at all surprised at the slow down at this stage.
I am able to eat a lot of cold food and snacks but cannot tolerate hot food nearly as well and hot drinks are completely out of bounds since surgery.
just work with your tool, try not to get into bad habits with the chocolate, I lost 8.5 stone and reached my target before my 1 year surgiversary but have gained 1 stone, to be fair I didn’t look healthy in the face at my lowest but I would like to lose half of the stone I’ve gained but I am strugglin to shift this and it’s all down to bad habits so please be cautious.
otherwise just embrace your new way of life, it’s the best thing I’ve ever done for myself but also the absolute hardest.
take care x

Lalapo

Hiya, welcome, well done on your loss so fa.
so from what I’ve read you already know that wls is only a tool and we must work with it, every single day is a battle for me especially as Percy (my pouch) is so tolerant of sugar/fat. Everyone’s journey and weight loss is different so you can’t compare but what you have lost so far is great and I wouldn’t be at all surprised at the slow down at this stage.
I am able to eat a lot of cold food and snacks but cannot tolerate hot food nearly as well and hot drinks are completely out of bounds since surgery.
just work with your tool, try not to get into bad habits with the chocolate, I lost 8.5 stone and reached my target before my 1 year surgiversary but have gained 1 stone, to be fair I didn’t look healthy in the face at my lowest but I would like to lose half of the stone I’ve gained but I am strugglin to shift this and it’s all down to bad habits so please be cautious.
otherwise just embrace your new way of life, it’s the best thing I’ve ever done for myself but also the absolute hardest.
take care x
Thank you. That’s really good advice.
8.5 stone lost is amazing. I have 9 stones to lose so another 4 to go. Fingers crossed. Just need to keep real ... on your own you sort of lose your focus x

Sarnie

Keeping safe.
I agree with what Bling said, try to keep away as long as possible from your trigger foods. I had a bypass and can eat a fair amount and don't dump on anything, my taste buds have changed, chocolate was my thing and now it doesn't taste nice, but this still doesn't stop my head wanting it, so I still eat it even though I don't like it go figure! This is still my biggest struggle and makes no sense to me. So try to stay away from trigger foods and train yourself to eat 3 healthy meals a day and keep hydrated, sounds simple doesn't it lol x

Lalapo

@Littlebigwoman after 2 months how are you getting on, I forgot to say welcome and hope you are recovered well. I struggled to eat at first and now I’m week 25 and can’t stop eating. Lol. Bet you can see a difference already. Good luck.