• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I can't do 3 pints of fluid a day.

Tyraboots

It is all I can do to cover the fortimel drink and half a pint of water. I am nearly a week post op, has anyone else experience of this?

its difficult to drink fluid in such large amounts quicky when you early post op, what I do is buy a multi pack of bottled water, the hand held ones not the 2 litre ones, and I carry it with me every where, so I am always sipping from it. its amazing how much water you drink without even realising it. :D

thats what i did kim you do get through an amazing amount by constant sip sip sip. Give it a try Tyraboots or get a sports bottle type container or the bootles of evian that have the nozzle type top i have on of those and buy a big bottle of flavoured water and fill the evian bottle with that and drink throughout the day and then fill as it empties it goes down quicker that way and you don't feel as though you have to keep looking at a big bottle thinking i cant drink all that. Hope this helps a little tyra xxx

I'm having the same problem - some days i'm lucky if i get 1 pint of milk and 250mls of juice in. I've been using a sports top water bottle, keeping it on the table next to me but i keep forgetting to drink it. so i've decided to try and leave it on my lap as much as possible today as a visual prompt and i'll see if that makes a difference.

Hi, i am the same with cold drinks, i have to have hot water with the juice, which makes a massive difference to me, i can take far more fluids that way.

I found hot/warm drinks much easier and I have to set a kitchen timer to remind me to make another hot drink! I have a really selection of drinks, loads of different teas, Cherries and Berrries is great hot. The only think I drink really cold, is my protein shake and tomato juice. But I would never get it all in without the timer!

hay lol ask doc to but a drip in then you want have to worry hehehe

It does get alot easier I,m 21 days post op and could only drink warm water at first but now am able to drink almost as i did before my op.
It feels like it youll never be able to drink properly again i know but every day is that bit better. xx

I'm going to be controversial here and say dont worry to much, obviously drink as much water as you possibly can as its good for you and not good to let yourself get deyhdrated, but dont beat yourself up because you've only drank a litre when you should be drinking two !

Like yourselves i really struggled to get fluids in and to be honest its still an issue for me even now, i know i dont drink enough water daily, but i'm not dead yet so cant be doing that bad really.

I'm going to be controversial here and say dont worry to much, obviously drink as much water as you possibly can as its good for you and not good to let yourself get deyhdrated, but dont beat yourself up because you've only drank a litre when you should be drinking two !

Like yourselves i really struggled to get fluids in and to be honest its still an issue for me even now, i know i dont drink enough water daily, but i'm not dead yet so cant be doing that bad really.

I was just about to say the same thing. If you can drink 3 litres, great. If you can drink 2 litres, great.
I drink about 6 cups of black coffee and a cup of orange juice per day, I am still surviving.

Use your wee as a guide, if it is strong smelly, cloudy and dark yellow in colour, you should drink some more. If it's *normal* and you are going regularly, you are probably ok.

And as time goes on, you will be able to have more fluids, will get to know the amount your body wants you to have, know what sort of fluids you tollerate well, and will adjust accordingly.

Good luck xx

Some really good advice here by the looks of it. Hope it works for you over time. :)

Back