• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I can't stop eating!

rosejohnson

Home from the USA :-(
I don't know what has happened, it's like someone has switched the hunger switch, and I have become obsessed by food! I think about food far more than I did pre-op, I am constantly hungry, I eat something, and an hour later I am looking for more!

I am eating bigger portions too. I actually feel like I haven't had a bypass at all, was it a dream?

And to make things worse, I put on a pound this week. Although I have lost it again now. But even that wasn't big enough motivation to stop me eating.

I have had 6 months of not being hungry at all, and now it's all I am.

I would love to hear if anybody else has experienced this, and can share any hints or tips.

Rx

maybe it would be helpful if you listed the things you are eating and we can have a look.
I know for me if i eat carbs early in the day im hungry all day.
Im maintaining now so i have 1 carb heavy day where i eat carbs at each meal but then i have 2 protien rich days where i only have carbs with my evening meal otherwise im hungry all day.
the dietition said it will be down to my absorbtion rate and insulin production so i also make sure the carbs that i do have are wholegrain ones brown rice and pasta wholmeal breab, sweet potatoes etc
hope that helps.
carole

Hi HC, thanks for your reply.

I am trying not to eat any carbs where possible, but I do occassionally have a slice of wholemeal toast with quorn pate on, in fact that is what I had last night at supper time as I was really hungry.

Dinner was vegetable curry without rice, which I eat 3 or 4 times per week (it keeps me regular!). But I ate a lot more than I would usually manage, and I went back for more after about 30 mins.

Breakfast was weetabix. Lunch was home made vegtable soup.

And I was starving ALL DAY.

And this morning, I have had a whole muller light (previously could only eat about 2/3), and I am sitting here with a grumbling tummy desperately trying to hang on til 1230 for lunch, and breakfast was at 930 so not like I had it at 6am! I have got a falafel salad for lunch, and I am making a pastryless quiche for tea. I am hoping that planning will help me.

I am sorry for moaning on, I just feel shocked at the change over this last week and a half or so, I haven't really been feeling much restriction, which is a totally new sensation for me. I had 2 days of soup and yogurt this week, in the hope that giving my pouch a rest would help, but apart from it feeling like some kind of self torture, it didn't seem to do anything!

I was on metformin pre op, for insulin resistance caused by pcos, and I am half wondering if I should start taking it again.

Ho hum

Rx

Hi Rose i must say i have read some of your daily menus and have thought to myself that you dont eat much. im 10 months post-op now and could easily eat a whole muller light! Why dont you try eating more dense food and eat enough till you DO feel restriction as im sure you will, i could eat 2 jacket potatoes but the minute i have one with tuna i can only manage just over half without feeling bloated, just an idea and maybe worth a try. Also i put on 2lb last week for no reason and then lost 4lb this week! Us women and water retension!

One thing that has jumped out and hit me is that yr not having much in the way of solid food.
I take it your vegitarian? how aboy things like carrot stick and hummouse. Quorn fillets with vegetables (i have all my veg al dente so its still got some bite to it.)
breakfast yr having carbs in the weetabix how about having a mushroom omlette.
I eat a full total 0% yogurt with fresh fruit and nuts added so i wouldnt worry about portion size there.
Dont start back on any meds without the advice of yr GP. Also to increase yr protien how about milky coffee.
Are you hungry enough to eat an apple. i buy the mini gala apples and if i get the munchies aepecially on my carb day i eat one of them.

Hiya

Yes I am vegetarian, and quite fussy with it!

I do like carrot sticks and houmous and have them occassionally, but I don't like apples. I might get some of the carrot sticks and houmous individual pots from sainsburys to have in for when i want to snack between meals, as it's not too bad and quite filling. I do buy the nets bags of cheese from asda and occassionally have a piece of cheese, that's 40g of cheese eaten solidly. Last night I also had a piece of cheese sliced up with quorn pate spread on. I am constantly wanting to eat between meals.

Last weekend I just fell off the wagon completely, and managed to eat a multi pack of snack a jacks (8 bags) in 2 days :-(

I think you are right about the solid food, I like curries, chilli, bolognaise, casserole, cauliflower cheese, shepherds pie type meals, I always have. And I love my veg well cooked. And I have always been someone that eats most in the afternoon and evening, breakfast is a chore for me. That's why it's often just a yogurt or a slice of toast at work (I work in a hospital). But I also like stir frys and things, so I will have to make an effort there. I am going to try and eat more fritatta/omelette/quiche and now that the weather is getting better I love salads, which aren't slider foods.

I wish I ate meat and fish, i even tried a bit of chicken once, to boost my protein, but I haven't had it in years and just can't train myself to eat it again!

I used to eat a lot of pasta and jacket potatoes, but cuting out carbs means I don't anymore.

I will definitely try and have more dense foods, not in gravy or sauce. It's hard for me cos working full time I like to just bung a load of food in a pan or the slow cooker, I realise I probably need to make more of an effort.

Thanks again for your replies

Rx

When you are feeling hungry drink drink drink, i must admit the last week or so i've felt hungrier but i stick to the portions ive been having since the solid stage but i do drink more to stop the hunger.

Hiya
I found this very interesting coz i thought it was only me that still felt hungry. I do the same as you but have done for quite sometime.I put it down to old habits take a long time to get rid of and when I am due on I feel I could eat anything but when it boils down to it I cant which is whyI had it done.thanks for posting it

Jo
xx

I make fritata different ones cut it into portions and freeze it. i can then just grab a piece to put in packed lunch if im at the office and by lunchtime its thawed or i bung it in the microwave for 2 mins if i want it straight away as a quick tea or breakfast. i usually have a cooking day once a month and do loads of things i can freeze for both myself and son it makes life so much easier.

I have found myself being hungry as well but find that this is just before my period. Could that be the case? I would say to try and keep a food diary and take the advice that has already been given.

Let us know how you get on.

I have been to sainsburys and bought some things that are more dry, quorn sausages, quorn satay sticks, quorn bacon pieces, quorn gougons, quorn escelopes, falafel, tofu etc. I will try and have them with just a little steamed veg or salad.

For lunch I had bulgar wheat salad with 2 tiny falafel, roasted butternut squash and sweet potato. Couldn't eat too much tho, which was good. Although I am hungry again now.

And I didn't buy any snack a jacks, which I really fancy now!! At least I can't have the disaster weekend I had last week. I also got a few bottles of flavoured water, to try and prompt me to drink more.

I really appreciate all your suggestions guys. Would anybody mind if I continued to use this thread to post what I am eating for a few days? That way I can get some hints and tips from your expertise!

Rx

I have found myself being hungry as well but find that this is just before my period. Could that be the case? I would say to try and keep a food diary and take the advice that has already been given.

Let us know how you get on.

I haven't had a period for months. I had 2 quite close together after surgery but I haven't had any since then so I guess that's possible. But if that were the case I would expect that it would last a few days, it's getting on for 2 weeks now.

I actually hope that is the cause!!

R x

Defo keep posting here sue and let us know how your getting on. Think the food you've just bought will do the trick just make sure you eat enough of it! Also i'm sure the flavoured water idea will help, i too am guilty of not drinking enough!

Saturday 20th March

Breakfast - Muller light
Lunch - bulgar wheat, roasted butternut squash and sweet potato salad
Tea - home made quiche/fritata (onion, cherry tomatoes, philadelphia, 2 eggs, grated cheddar on top)

Today has been a better day. And I am feeling more positive people. Thank you!

well done rose. I have found that since my bypass i really cant tolorate plain water so its coffee, squash or flavored water all the way.
Fantastic idea to keep posting here and with yr breakfast try having a few nuts and some fruit, blueberries, grapes raspberries etc to give it some body,
hth
carole

Saturday 20th March

Breakfast - Muller light
Lunch - bulgar wheat, roasted butternut squash and sweet potato salad
Tea - home made quiche/fritata (onion, cherry tomatoes, philadelphia, 2 eggs, grated cheddar on top)

Today has been a better day. And I am feeling more positive people. Thank you!

Hi Rose am so pleased to read ur having a better more positive day. Looking forward to reading more of ur posts, take care luv Roch xx

After a week if throwing up and diahorrea, yesterday I felt so hungry I downed 3 veg samosas, and 2 creme eggs. My husband bought 4 creme eggs, I ate two and threw the other two in the bin.
Didn't dump, but threw up a little.
Had to throw them out because like a heroin addict couldn't have them in the house.

Mmmmmmmm creme eggs was only thinking yesterday how i'll never be able to have another one and Tyra had 2!!!!! I dont really dump so maybe i'll have an easter treat and eat half!

Glad your feeling positive Rose xxx

Mmmmmmmm creme eggs was only thinking yesterday how i'll never be able to have another one and Tyra had 2!!!!! I dont really dump so maybe i'll have an easter treat and eat half!

Glad your feeling positive Rose xxx

You can get mini creme eggs now. I used to adore creme eggs pre op, but just one of the mini ones was enough for me to satisfy a choc craving the other day. It was too sweet if anything.

Back