• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How do I find my PCT funding criteria?

Thanks for this Yve. I couldn't find it anywhere. However, I am absolutely gutted having read it. My GP , who didn't know the criteria, is very supportive and agreed to refer me but the document says:

"6. Body contouring procedures
It is recognised that the consequences of morbid obesity will become an increasing
problem for the NHS and that robust inclusion criteria need to be developed to ensure
that appropriate patients benefit from interventions that change the body contour.
6.1 Tummy tuck (apronectomy or abdominoplasty)
Procedure not funded by the PCT under any circumstances.
6.2 Other skin excision for contour e.g. Buttock lift, Thigh lift, Arm lift
(brachioplasty)
Procedure not funded by the PCT under any circumstances."

I find it very odd that the first paragraph acknowledges the need for an inclusive policy and then goes on to out line one that completely excludes people from surgery. It appears to me that no matter how much pain I suffer with the skin, no matter how many infections etc that I will not get my tummy done.
Gutted !

I did read that bit. I'm so sorry hun. I would apply anyway under exceptional circumstances. Maybe even write to your mp.

HA HA there is nothing get gets your heart working harder than getting the wrong end of the message LOL
I think Sandwell has just changed the BMI to 50 for gastric surgery.
Where in Sandwell are you Tartan?

on the borderline I am actually blackheath looks like round the corner from you its my dr who is 3 roads over closer to Dudley than i am thats in Sandwell lol Yes its been changed to 50 found out today but in my case as they did not know i had mobilities thngies they said my dr could sort it out on the forms she is going to send me and 49.9 would be good could always rice bag my knickers if i had to when I go drs must only be a couple pound off the 50bmi mark

I had it done at Russells Hall hospital and yes I know the surgeons name I've got it written a a nice baseball bat for when I meet him in a dark alley :mad: (I have reped you his name)
BUT I will say got to the QE or Sandwell I have only heard good thing about the plastic surgeons there.

QE were great with my husband who had a little op there, nothing to do with weightloss, he's only 12 stone and eats way more than me! Sandwell is ideal aswell because it is only 3 mins in the car :)

I think it is awful that we have a postcode lottery, I was told the NHS would not have funded my band removal if I was based in Birmingham but Sandwell would!?

you need to demonstate that the infections, sores and any other health complications is likely to cost the nhs more overtime if they do not sort out your hanging skin issues. I was able to get my plastics agreed on nhs as the risk to my health of them refusing the ops was higher than the cost of the plastics but then again my medical history a bit complicated....i guess you know your history....they did not agree to do my boobs as no medical reason, i could hav applied again but decided not to go there, good luck you need a good dtrong letter from plastic surgeon e benefits and good supporting letter from go keep a record and photographic evidence of sores rashes ect good lucl!!

Thanks Judy. I'll do as you advise. The problem with my arms is a bit tricky though as it's just pain, and just in the left arm. It's agonising when it happens though-like a terrible , long lasting chinese burn. Happens several times a day but I guess pain on its own won't meet the criteria.
xx

Back