• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How do I find my PCT funding criteria?

Miss Tickle

I'm reaching the stage where I need to think plastics ! I didn't think I'd need them but I do. I get bad neck ache, and back ache. I think it's from the 'hanging' weight at the front!

I'd like to speak to my gp about it but feel I need to be prepared. It seems almost rude to ask in the current climate , but if it's available in my area.
I don't know
1. What the current criteria is for my area
2. How to present it as a medical need, not a cosmetic one.

I have googled but can't find the criteria for my PCT- Birmingham East and North (BEN).
Anyone know how I can find out?

Go on the NICE website and search for bariatric surgery funding criteria. There should be a list of areas/PCT's on there then just click on the one you need :).

Go on the NICE website and search for bariatric surgery funding criteria. There should be a list of areas/PCT's on there then just click on the one you need :).

Tried that ( searched by plastic surgery though) and still couldn't find it. Must be doing something wrong

From what I've read on other posts you need to focus on the pain and discomfort caused, sore areas and infections plus the emotional toll it is taking on your life.

Each pct varies but some are still doing it. The economic climate is only going to get worse in the short term so I'd ask sooner rather than later. Best of luck x

On the BOSPA website it says the funding criteria for your area is the same as the nice guidelines. Only difference being is they will not fund a secondary procedure, if the first one fails.

I think mrs tickle means to lift her boobs n saggy skin as she is post op!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Oh Crikey sorry !!! Lol x perhaps try searching under corrective surgery ? I understand that most PCT's are not keen, as they see it as cosmetic and not life threatening. I'm sure I read on here somewhere that they like you to maintain your weight for 2 years once you've stabilised.

My BMI had to be 25 and under for my PCT (Sandwell)
I think all the west Midlands PCT'S are around the same

My BMI had to be 25 and under for my PCT (Sandwell)
I think all the west Midlands PCT'S are around the same

Hi I also live in Sandwell, I did have a band fitted on the nhs 3 1/2 years ago, it didn't work for me I kept being sick so I had to drink with my food, lost 4lbs in 2 years so joined weight watchers, lost almost 6 stone 3 more to go, I recently had the band removed because as I was losing weight it was causing complications and alot of pain, sometimes to the extent I could barely walk!

I know I will need an arm lift, tummy tuck and possibly a breast uplift, i'm exercising but it's not helping the skin, i'm only 32 and hate that my boobs look like i'm 60 its awful :(

Did you have any corrective surgery on the nhs?

Hope you don't mind me asking? x

Hi I also live in Sandwell, I did have a band fitted on the nhs 3 1/2 years ago, it didn't work for me I kept being sick so I had to drink with my food, lost 4lbs in 2 years so joined weight watchers, lost almost 6 stone 3 more to go, I recently had the band removed because as I was losing weight it was causing complications and alot of pain, sometimes to the extent I could barely walk!

I know I will need an arm lift, tummy tuck and possibly a breast uplift, i'm exercising but it's not helping the skin, i'm only 32 and hate that my boobs look like i'm 60 its awful :(

Did you have any corrective surgery on the nhs?

Hope you don't mind me asking? x

Hi Sammie I had a tummy tuck on the NHS in April I am hoping that I will be able to get my boobs done.
Arm lifts are a no no so I've heard

Where in Sandwell are you?

Hi Sammie I had a tummy tuck on the NHS in April I am hoping that I will be able to get my boobs done.
Arm lifts are a no no so I've heard

Where in Sandwell are you?

Thanks for getting back to me, I live in West Bromwich, if you don't mind me asking how long after you reached the required bmi did you have to keep it off before they put you on the waiting list? I've heard so many different stories, some people waiting and others don't have to? :confused: Seems like it all depends on your Dr and PCT x

Thanks for getting back to me, I live in West Bromwich, if you don't mind me asking how long after you reached the required bmi did you have to keep it off before they put you on the waiting list? I've heard so many different stories, some people waiting and others don't have to? :confused: Seems like it all depends on your Dr and PCT x

As soon as I reached BMI of 25 my GP referred me
To be honest getting referred and funding wan't a problem.
The plastic surgeon was.
He just didn't want to do it on the NHS.
The way he acted he was paying for my op with his money.
He made Scrooge look good

is this right for sandwell to fund you for wls you got to have bmi of 25 or under how the hell am i ever gonna reach that

is this right for sandwell to fund you for wls you got to have bmi of 25 or under how the hell am i ever gonna reach that

Wendy has had a tummy tuck after reaching her WLS goal, sweetie ... she had to have BMI of 25 or less for that. Don't panic ... if we had a BMI of 25 we wouldn't be on here, lol xxx :)

haha jeesh you nearly sent me to my 9th heart attack lol

As soon as I reached BMI of 25 my GP referred me
To be honest getting referred and funding wan't a problem.
The plastic surgeon was.
He just didn't want to do it on the NHS.
The way he acted he was paying for my op with his money.
He made Scrooge look good

bit of good news then which hospital was it? Can you remember the name of the surgeon who did it? Sorry to pick your brains, i've still got 3 1/2 stone to go, but it doesn't hurt to research does it :) x

haha jeesh you nearly sent me to my 9th heart attack lol

HA HA there is nothing get gets your heart working harder than getting the wrong end of the message LOL
I think Sandwell has just changed the BMI to 50 for gastric surgery.
Where in Sandwell are you Tartan?

bit of good news then which hospital was it? Can you remember the name of the surgeon who did it? Sorry to pick your brains, i've still got 3 1/2 stone to go, but it doesn't hurt to research does it :) x

I had it done at Russells Hall hospital and yes I know the surgeons name I've got it written a a nice baseball bat for when I meet him in a dark alley :mad: (I have reped you his name)
BUT I will say got to the QE or Sandwell I have only heard good thing about the plastic surgeons there.

Last edited:
Back