• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS funding weight loss surgery abroad

Astraste

I've never heard of this before but thought I would post the link and get more information of this from people on here, hopefully people who have done this through the NHS will be able to give a better insight. I was just wondering if I could go abroad and get my treatment then come back and get the money I paid or do I need to meet some criteria;

Seeking treatment abroad - Treatment abroad - NHS Choices

I had a quick look an the link but couldn't see where it says about nhs funding for weight loss surgery , I wonder about this as its our pct who approve the funding for our area so how would that be abroad ? but hopefully as you say someone may know about it x

I had a quick look an the link but couldn't see where it says about nhs funding for weight loss surgery , I wonder about this as its our pct who approve the funding for our area so how would that be abroad ? but hopefully as you say someone may know about it x

The whole links about it. It explains all the options etc.

The whole links about it. It explains all the options etc.

From what I read it says the pct need to give authorisation first? But I am tired so maybe reading this wrong so will read again in the morning :) x

I think this is about your entitlement to treatment in the EC if you happen to need it whilst visiting( i.e emergency treatment) or if you move to another EC country ( like you get here). I don't think it's saying you can arrange an operation of your choice in an EC country and then get your money back. If I'm wrong great- Belgian plastic surgeon here I come !!

p.s. Oh, I do hope I'm wrong !!

that's what I understood it to mean not having our surgery done on nhs over there :) good luck though if that is correct and I would book for tummy to be done somewhere nice too :)

Oh just imagine, going on holiday somewhere warm and beautiful by the sea- and coming home with a flat belly, no flappy arms and your boobs in the right place. If only ..

i'll be joining you if you can have it done abroad, sun sea and surgery

a few years ago a large group of people were sent to france for knee replacement surgerys because of the very long waiting lists here, it was paid for by the nhs to get waiting times back down

Hi Astraste,

As CCG (Ex PCT) have tightening budget restraints it is unlikely they will fund a Bariatric procedure abroad when they have local providers that they have a contract with.

Bear in mind if you do go abroad and have Bariatric surgery privately the NHS is under no obligation to revise or correct a procedure if anything should go wrong (bar obviously emergency).

Back