• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

i know i shouldnt but i do

kay milburn

just been talking to a lady who had her bypass same day as me and shes lost 1st 4lbs more than me. i really happy for her, but am i doing something wrong.

she may of had more to lose than you, so this is maybe why shes lost more than you x

Hi Kay, don't forget that we are all different and will lose weight at a different rate. Lots of factors will affect it, like your starting weight and BMI, mobility, excersise,
health, stress, food choices etc.

As long as you are following your surgeons guidelines you'll be losing weight at the rate your body can. You never know, this lady might have a few stalls and you may find in a few months time that your loss supercedes hers.

The good thing is that you are losing and not gaining. Give yourself a pat on the shoulders.

Rebirth

im sorry ladies that post must have sounded really pathetic, feeling a little sorry for myself in other areas of my life.... appologies.

Kay don't apologise. You can't help feeling the way you are and it is human nature to compare ourselves. That's why it's so good to have this forum to help us realise how different we all can be.

Rebirth

Kay you'd lost more than at 6 weeks and I was feeling a bit low about that! But I had to give myself a quick kick up the rear and realise that everyone loses at their own rate.
It's not a race and we will all get there in the end honey. Sending hugs. xxxxx

just been talking to a lady who had her bypass same day as me and shes lost 1st 4lbs more than me. i really happy for her, but am i doing something wrong.

Hun I done exactly the same thing for the first couple of months and it really started 2 get me down when I compared myself to people that had lost more than me. Then one day I had to give myself a really good telling off because I started thinking that I was doing it all completely wrong.

You just need to forget about everone else and be happy with your loss hun. xxxxxxx

Don't apologise Kay you are human like the rest of us! It's an natural thing to do is compare ourselves to someone else lets face it we have done it all our lives in our "fat world" so it's hard not to feel as if we have done something wrong. As Liz said if you have more to lose at the start you will lose more and faster! My hubby and I when we did Slimming World together was miles ahead of me but he had almost double the weight to lose than i had. So don't worry you are doing really well and you will reach target when its right for you!. Big hugs xx

You're not being stupid, you are just wanting the weight to go..it's perfectly natural. Having such a big surgery and so many expectations, it is natural to want the excess falling off.
If you read enough on here you will see amongst the bypassers , people are different in rates of loss..each of us has a body totally different from anyone elses...you are going to drive yourself mad by comparing or setting down crazy targets.
I know you have a lot of stress in life but don't ramp it up by putting undue pressure on yourself..all that will do is make your body clamp on to the weight harder....it is really hard to lose weight when you are uptight...your mind directly affects the physical body.
Please be nicer to yourself...you have had the bypass..it is physically impossible to take in the same amount of food as you used to that made you overweight...it is physically impossible to absorb the same amount of calories as you did before the op....you will lose it. You will not regain it.
Please relax lovey x Hugs x

The short answer to your question is YES!

You are comparing yourself to other people. Just like we all are different sizes and shapes so to are our bodies metabolisms different. Some people lose faster than other people.

I am not knocking you for comparing, i do it all the time.... It has to be learned not to compare. I stopped it when i realised that i ENJOY eating three meals a day and snacks yet a friend of mine has lost the joy of food...

Enjoy your own success, if you are worrying about what you are eating then do a diary and people will offer assistance... You are doing GREAT xx

I know the feeling i'm always comparing my very slow loss to others and makes me feel pretty damn lousy and it doesnt help with my family saying "only 1lb you would have thought it would come off quicker"

:grumble:I wonder where this idea that having wls means you lose weight at a quick rate? I suppose its like all the other myths and legends. I recently had to endure a weekend with Mr TB's mother trying to convince her I would not be on a lifetime liquid diet after the op:rolleyes:. We are all different and will lose at different rates - the goal ultimately is to get down to a healthy size and hopefully stay there! I am desperate for this surgery as I need to lose weight and get off the lethal combination of blood pressure meds I have to take which are slowly disintegrating my kidneys - and to get mobile as I feel virtually house bound at the moment as I cannot walk far. I will not care if I am a slow loser as long as it comes off. Personally losing it slowly may help with loose skin issues which I am dreading.

tranquil

Well said Tranquil. I think sometimes we see people who have bigger losses and think it happens to us all, when in reality it doesn't! Also the fact that the sheer volume we eat is diminished we expect big losses when the reality is that we aren't burning many cals so our bodies are not having to eat into our 'reserves' as much.

I'm happy with any losses now! I guess we all just want it to be like Christmas, a few weeks of expectation and business followed by instant slimdom... The reality for me is that it took me 25yrs to put this weight on, so if it takes 2 to lose it hey ho way to go!

Keep plodding on all you tortoises, we will beat that pesky rabbit/hare/furry protein rich animal xx

Back