• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My mind is spinning - please could I have your advice?!

You may remember a month or so ago there was a post on here about a poor lady who had tragically died following her bypass at The Spire in Southampton. Basically her bowel had been perforated. Before I go on, I would like to emphasise how terribly sorry I am that this has happened and I genuinely sympathise with her family.

The story has been the front page headline today of our local newspaper - The Southampton Echo because the lady's son has been protesting today outside the hospital about the incident and the care his Mother received. I know this because I have received a telephone call from my Mum (in a bit of a state!) and my sister with the predictable "do you know what you are doing" story "we love you whether you lose weight or not". I am having my bypass by the same surgeon at the same hospital, hence the concern! I've obviously known about this for a while. I can honestly say that I have great faith and trust in my surgeon (he also did my band) and I would rather have the continuity than go elsewhere but this story does certaintly make you think.

Please could you let me have your views/advice.

Thank you so much
x

Sorry to jump in on your posts but I felt the need to write.Having worked in theatre as a nurse I can tell you that every patient's insides are as different as faces. although the anatomy is generally the same some bits often lie in strange places hence always the risk as you don't know until the incision. Maybe this poor lady's bowel was in a slightly unusual position which made her surgery difficult. If your surgeon had been negligent he would have been struck off. My guess is, this was avery tragic unavoidable complication. think of all the people your surgeon has operated on who HAVE recovered and put it into perspective.Good luck with your surgery and wishing you a good recovery xx

Hi there

This is undoubtedly extremely sad and tragic. I think the reality is that bariatric surgery comes with risk and I would think that most surgeons have experienced losing patients for a wide variety of reasons and complications, however, the dangers of doing nothing are often even higher. If you have the confidence in your surgeon I wouldn't let this instance unsettle you.

xx

firstly I sympathise with the ladies family my heart goes out to them. But you go with your instincs, Only you can make the decision but for me it was the right thing to do I had my gastric bypass 7 weeks ago and feel fantastic, I am 43Lbs lighter and in a size 16s clothes. My family was exactly the same as another lady died and hit the head lines the same week as me having my Gastric bypass . At the end of the day I had to do what was right for me. I went for my surgery 3 years ago and backed out 1 week before my operation because of something very similar I regretted it ever since. So this time I went ahead and never looked back. Kind regards Gail.x

Not much i can add to the good advice already, but i am still a great believer in if it feels right for me then it will be right. My mum was the same(she too had heard some tragic stories like the one you mentioned) but she knew i had to do this and when i phoned her after a very succesful op she was delighted for me. If it feels right to you Nicola and you trust your surgeon i would say go for it x

how sad. You have got to weigh up how you feel hun. if i was you i would mention my concerns to the surgeon. they want to know about any worries you might have so they have the opportunity to put your mind at rest. they will give you a run down of their stats that i a sure will put you more at ease.

We are all taking a risk when we have any sort of surgery. Unfortunately for this lady there were complications and through no fault of hers or the surgeons this tragedy happened. So many people have weight loss surgery and have a successful operation but we don't really hear much about them. Its the tragic ones we hear about and this puts so much doubt in peoples minds. You have to do what you think is the best for you and try and be patient with your family as its only their love for you that unsettles them in you having this op.
I personally would go ahead and have the op but the decision is yours and only yoursxxxx

It is a tragedy this lady died, but the stats are well in your favour. If you trust this surgeon then go for it - despite the tragedy of the lady who died, your surgeon will have learned just that little bit more and will know even more than he did before. Best wishes to you x

Hi Nicola

I know I would be feeling exactly the same as you right now...but you are in a position to know this surgeon, you trust him too...and that is a good place to be in.

We all face the unknown every time we pop a pill in our mouths...

I know your family are going to be worried about you too...but this is your call...you have to be the one to make up your mind about this...

You just have to weigh up what's right for you and how you feel right now.......(and don't forget, you can change your mind right up till the day)

You did not say when your operation is, but if it's possible see if you can have a chat with your surgeon; With all the media attention he and his team will understand your concerns.

Good luck with everything...I'm sure it's just last minute nerves...xx

(((hugs)))

My sympathies to the family concerned.
A post above stated the the surgeon would now know more that before due to the situation.
When a tragedy such as this occurs, in any type of operation, including and excluding bariatric surgery, there are investigations, meetings, reports written, and everyone involved in the surgery analyses and learns from the situation, and the post above is correct in saying that people in the hospital learn about what happened and are more aware of the situations that may make it occur in future.
You should really ask for an appointment with either the surgeon, or the Head of Surgical Services and voice your concerns. He or she will explain everything you want to know.
We can all understand your concerns, and basically you have to weigh up what you think your future years would be like in weight and lifestyle if you don't go for surgery, and what they would be like if you do go for surgery, once you have been reassured about surgery. You have to do this for you. When you do speak to the surgeon or Head of Surgery, perhaps take along one or two family members/friends, who you can trust and know they will keep calm and rational during the meeting.

Back