• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I know this is a silly question...

tranquil_butterfly

I have been on the liver shrinking diet - today is my 10th day. How do you know if it has worked?
I have stuck to it religiously - know I have lost weight but I know the purpose is not about losing weight.

I am worrying as my op day gets nearer that something is going to go wrong:sigh:.

tranquil

I dont think there is a way to know, actually you peeing lots?.. cos i know when the liver is detoxing that happens,,, but rest assured sweets if you ve stuck to it, it has worked and will work so your op is all go! very exciting xxx

Nothing will go wrong Tranquill.

My Sister, who is a nurse said that what happens with the liver shrinking diet, is that the liver stops producing bile as the diet progresses and begings to draw the fat off of itself as you are not taking in any fat. It is through this process that the liver shrinks. The fact that you have lost weight shows you have followed through with the diet and no doubt, just as we are all different, there is no uniformity in how much the liver shrinks.

Just my 2 pence worth

Thank you both. I think it is starting to register with me that this surgery is happening a week today. I will stop worrying and just keep going:D.

tranquil

You will be fine Tranquil. Sooner its here the better and you can stop worrying and just concentrate on getting better and having a healthier, contented life.

Thinking of you

Linski xx

You have done really well hun, Im not sure if you can tell if its shrunk or not but theres no reason why it wouldnt have :D I was scared too thinking mine wouldnt shrink and the doc said it was tiny :D Yours will be too! XX

Hunny.. you are doing fabulously!

Your surgery will be fine!

You will come out a new person..

And the end results, will give you the proof you need!

Chin up sugar! Stop doubting things..

It may seem after all you have been through to get to this point, too good to be true but hunny.. its not.. its actually happening!!

Whooohoooooo.. :D

(Im sorry ive had my boost of bovril and a home delivery with my crimbo present in from the OH, that i cant touch!)

Marie x

Thanks Lin and Jacqui. I started a few days earlier than I needed to and I cannot believe I have 6 days still to go:eek:.

It will be worth it in the end - good training for afterwards!

tranquil

I did longer on the liver-shrinking diet than I actually needed to, for the same reasons as you and I did find it helpful post-op. Like the others have said, other than a scan there is no way of telling if your liver has shrunk. Unused glucose, essentially energy from food is stored as glycogen in the liver. Each glycogen molecule is stored with four molecules of water, so when you follow a low fat/low carb diet, this stored glycogen gets used up...meaning definite liver shrinkage (plus alot of weeing usually)! So don't worry about it, just concentrate on the diet, which is hard enough! xxx

Are you excited or nervous? xx

To be honest I am not sure what I am feeling right now. Perhaps battle weary. It has taken nearly 16 months from when I was referred by my GP and I never for one moment thought I would have to go through what I did.

I have all the usual fears about surgery and I am looking forward to getting my life back - free of my blood pressure meds - or at least free of the toxic combination I have to take now. It will be nice to have more places to choose from for clothes - I hate shopping with a passion right now and avoid it at all costs. I am feeling the benefits already of having lost weight on the pre op - my walking is improving all the time. There is a lot to look forward to:D.

tranquil

It really is amazing how the small changes before the op can impact on your life and looking forward to all the life-changing positive things really does help I think. I was off my BP meds within two weeks of my op (although admittedly my BP wasn't sky-high before hand). As awful as the struggle to get your op was for you, I think it will possibly make you more succeful in the long run, as you will have the constant reminder of what it took for you to get there. I'm sure you will do brilliantly xxxx

It really is amazing how the small changes before the op can impact on your life and looking forward to all the life-changing positive things really does help I think. I was off my BP meds within two weeks of my op (although admittedly my BP wasn't sky-high before hand). As awful as the struggle to get your op was for you, I think it will possibly make you more succeful in the long run, as you will have the constant reminder of what it took for you to get there. I'm sure you will do brilliantly xxxx

Thank you:hug99: x

tranquil

TB it has worked and you will be fine...

I can't believe how close your operation is getting :) I'm getting very excitable and am here for you all the way, i cannot wait to see the new you :) xx

TB it has worked and you will be fine...

I can't believe how close your operation is getting :) I'm getting very excitable and am here for you all the way, i cannot wait to see the new you :) xx

Thank you - could not have got this far without you supporting me and keeping me going. You are a gem:hug99:x

tranquil

Back