• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

i swallowed chewing gum yoday 4 days ater post op

fatidol

FATIDOL
Yes by mistake i swallowed chewing gum whilst shopping in Tesco today, I was ok but dont advise it i did'nt mean to, it's just my breath is not good on this diet and when i go out i get concious of it, i will have to get a spray i think

Last edited:
Have you tried sugar free polo's? I've used them all the time since my op, I also smoke and am very consious of bad breath. I know lots of people use gum, but isn't it supposed to make you hungrier? All the chewing tells your brain to get your stomach ready as it's expecting food, or something along those lines. lol

I recently bought some 'dry mouth spray' in Boots, as a poster on here recommended as one of the things they were grateful they'd taken to hospital with them...on the same shelf was some fresh breath spray in a little bottle, no calories & it's got a real kick, maybe that would help? xxx

ok mental note to oneself no chewing gum!!
Gail i've just seen your a smoker, did u give up b4 your op, & if so how long for?

I did give up before my op as it was one of the conditions of having it.

I was so paranoid about my surgeon thinking I still smoked that when my good friend offered to drive me to the hospital at 6:30 a.m. in her own car I asked her not to smoke incase I smelled of it!

I stopped for 4 months and did really well until I was on the liquids stage after my bypass. If I couldn't eat for 3 weeks I had to have a cig or I don't think my family would have survived it! lol

I started smoking again at 10 days post op. Sorry I did now, but I will try again.

Thanks for the reply Gail, i've smoked (not heavily) for 24 yrs! i started when i was 14, i had recently given up for 12 wks, my op is due september so i've been trying to keep my weight off but with the not smokin it wasn't happening, so you've guessed it i've started again which has been good for the weight but not for me, i'm frightened that they're say NO OP! so i know i've got to find my willpower again & stop!! sorry for hijacking the thread but i didn't think there was another smoker on here!!
I will get my willpower back...........

ladies, you should try the e-lite cig's its nicotine free but feels like the normal cig. only you have to charge it time to time. it also has smokes like the normal cig. when we smoke regularly and try to quit our brain needs something similar to cigs and the feeling of smoking comes from there. i think e-lite should be ok as it doesn't comtain the harmfull nicotine.

Farzu, thanks for that tip i shall look into that

Both smoking and chewing gum (increases saliva & gastric juices) can cause stomach ulcers, which you're more susceptible to after a bypass ;)

I've heard many times that chewing gum is a no no after gastric bypass! As twiggie says it stimulates stomach acids which can cause ulcers which i imagine will be blooming agony.

There are sugar free sweets you can buy (think they're sucra) if you really need to suck something while you're out. Personally i think carrying a sports bottle with fluids in would be the best idea, i don't leave home without mine. In fact i had my soluble meds in it last night when i went to a wls meeting. Nice little cocktail it was too :) xx

Oh, and what if the gum had stuck over your pouch entry point? You'd have been in trouble then......

I know i have dumped the gum, how did you do at you weigh in?
Linda

Thanks for the reply Gail, i've smoked (not heavily) for 24 yrs! i started when i was 14, i had recently given up for 12 wks, my op is due september so i've been trying to keep my weight off but with the not smokin it wasn't happening, so you've guessed it i've started again which has been good for the weight but not for me, i'm frightened that they're say NO OP! so i know i've got to find my willpower again & stop!! sorry for hijacking the thread but i didn't think there was another smoker on here!!
I will get my willpower back...........

I'm also a smoker. At my pre-op appointment I was told not to smoke for 24 hours before the op day. I started smoking again 3 days after the op, and the lady opposite me (same op too) had smoked e-cigs before surgery and was smoking real cigs 2 days after.

I think that the fact I'm giving up food as my crutch is enough for now, and the hospital physiotherapist agreed that trying to change too many things at once was probably asking for failure.

I wouldn't stress too much about it as you can always quit once you're used to your new post-op lifestyle.

Of course if you think you can do it go for it :)

Thanks Poppycorn, there are so many anti smokers around that i get scared to admit to this habit!!!!

i've had gum since day one...i have no problems with it, just don't swallow it preferably, altho i used to pre op...you ***** it out anyways, but wouldn't worry too much tho

No offence intended but just because you've done something for a while and so far received no problems it doesn't mean they won't come at some point!

All the advice i've read re chewing gum says don't do it, so i won't be doing it!

Back