• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

4 days post op thoughts

Jillybean8

Please be aware that these are my thoughts right now and I am aware that when I feel better and see progress, my thoughts may change. I'd never had an operation before and it was stressful. I wish I had had more information.

Tuesday - checked in at 9. Put in gown, and wheeled down to waiting area at 10.
Left alone crying til 12ish
Woke up to the anaesthetist yelling Breathe, breathe.
Taken to Intensive care. The nurses who moved me onto the bed were a little too strong and whacked my head off the headboard.
8pm friends came to visit. They were allowed in for an hour. Intensive care bed was really comfortable but the machine they had me hooked up to which took my blood pressure with a sleeve on my right arm was really strong and the next day I couldn't close my hand as my fingers had swollen to sausages and the hand was bright red with white knuckles. The machine was also connected to sleeve things on each calf which inflated and deflated all night to prevent thrombosis. So... no real sleep but things were ok.

Wednesday - Anaesthetist came to give the all clear for me to be moved up to the ward. I as lucky and got a room to myself. People can visit from 7 am to 10 pm so as soon as I was in a room which was 2:30pm I had visits and things were ok. A friend stayed over night with me but neither of us got any sleep as nurses were in and out all night.

Thursday - Low Moral. Desperate to sleep. uncomfortable. Had a few wanders up and down the corridor with my drip and drainage pot. Sick of my life. A doctor came in and said maybe I could go home but then saw I still had a lot of blood coming out of the drainage tubeAnother friend stayed and the nurses weren't in and out between 12 and 6 am so we both got some sleep.

Friday - Morale much better. Wandered up and down the corridor more happily - just with drainage pot. No drip today. No pain. Just discomfort. Got set free at 3pm. Home - excited for my own bed.
Had problems putting the injection in my leg which prevents thrombosis. Have to do this every day for 30 days.

Saturday - Too uncomfortable to sleep. Really fed up. Injection has made a big lump in my leg and is all squishy. I got scared and went to the local doctor. Doctor and nurse were really nice and assured me everything was progressing well, my wounds were healing and I just had to be patient.
Feeling much better today but scared of today's injection. Friend came and showed me how to do it at an angle and did it for me and didn't feel a thing.

So.... all in all the food intake is going well. I tolerated soup and juice in hospital. I'm now on a diet of alternating actimel type stuff and tiny protein shakes made with semi-skimmed milk. 8 little meals a day and water. I've only managed half a litre so far but i still have a couple of hours.

At the moment if given the choice, I don't think I would go through it again, however I am sure that in a few months when there is progress, I will feel more positive.

There is so much stuff they don't tell you - like... you breathe with your lungs and with you stomach too so they gave me a machine to practice breathing and I had to do it a few times every hour to get my lungs up to a certain capacity - which I did.

Taking the drainage tube out is the strangest most horrible feeling (apparently mine was in really deep) but the sensation goes away quite quickly.

I'm still not sure what I feel about the whole thing.

I didn't do it for aesthetics - I did it because I have diabetes type 2 and I really want it gone. This has been good so far. I was having an injection at night of 60 units, another of a different type in the mornings and a pill in the mornings. The doctor has taken away the morning pill and morning injection and I am only using 30 units at night. The Doc said to reduce this little by 2 at a time until my sugar stabilises. I am really happy about that and looking forward to being able to come off the meds when I have lost enough weight. The doctor is happy about it too :)

OK I have tried to be really honest about everything here. I'm sure things are different in other hospitals. (I'm in Spain) I know the pre-op diets certainly seem to vary wildly.

Hugs and good luck to everyone.

Glad it's over for you and you are back home. It gets better I promise, just give yourself time to heal and it will improve.
Keep hydrated and the rest will come.
Good luck and I will hold you in my thoughts

Glad it's over for you and you are back home. It gets better I promise, just give yourself time to heal and it will improve.
Keep hydrated and the rest will come.
Good luck and I will hold you in my thoughts

Thanks! Much appreciated! I see you have had wonderful results! That's good to see.

It does get better. Like you I had never had surgery before and the experience left me a bit shell-shocked. It was definitely more painful and a longer recovery than what I thought it would be. I regretted it every day for two months (I had a lot of issues with severe food aversion, difficulty swallowing and constant nausea), until I ended up in hospital again. Once they fixed me up then things turned around.

Until you are back feeling relatively "normal" again, it can be a very draining experience. For some people that only takes two weeks - for me it took two months. But it does get better, just hang in there.

Two months is a long time for you to be having those difficulties. I keep having to tell myself it's not even 6 days yet and I need to be patient. I really really just want to be back to being ME.

Completely understand. The early days are indeed very tough, but you just have to push through. Take it easy, get lots of rest and be kind to yourself. Feeling down and weepy is also very common, it is a side effect of the anaesthesia.

Like I said - I regretted it every day in the beginning. I was convinced I had made the biggest mistake of my life and that I would never recover. But today, 8 months later and 11 stone lighter, my perspective is obviously wildly different.

Hang in there x

TiaLi oh god thank you so much for telling me that. I thought I was the only one who was regretting it. I don't think I would do this again. I am aware this may change in the future but 5 days post op is still.... bad. I also didn't know this weepiness was a side effect of the anaesthesia.

Even when it isn't a first surgery, it is still a challenge. Everything you are feeling is normal. I had knee replacement surgery at the beginning of October (my goal for having WLS) and despite having experience of major surgery I wasn't prepared for this! I was the biggest baby in town for four weeks!! I can now see the benefits and it isn't so bad.

Keep focused on the benefits to your diabetes. I was diabetic too pre-op with lots of meds and my glucose levels have been normal every since. No more Metformin and what a difference that has made to how i feel and the benefits were felt quite early on. :)

Have you got support out there in Spain (sorry haven't read many of your posts as i haven't been on here much in past couple of months) or are you just there for the surgery?

Even when it isn't a first surgery, it is still a challenge. Everything you are feeling is normal. I had knee replacement surgery at the beginning of October (my goal for having WLS) and despite having experience of major surgery I wasn't prepared for this! I was the biggest baby in town for four weeks!! I can now see the benefits and it isn't so bad.

Keep focused on the benefits to your diabetes. I was diabetic too pre-op with lots of meds and my glucose levels have been normal every since. No more Metformin and what a difference that has made to how i feel and the benefits were felt quite early on. :)

Have you got support out there in Spain (sorry haven't read many of your posts as i haven't been on here much in past couple of months) or are you just there for the surgery?

I live in Spain. Yes, the diabetes was the reason. I'm off the metformin now. What differences have you felt since coming off it? I didn't realise there would be changes with dropping that - I'm happy to hear you say they are good ones!

Yes I have lots of friends round me giving me support. They are being really great.

I live in Spain. Yes, the diabetes was the reason. I'm off the metformin now. What differences have you felt since coming off it? I didn't realise there would be changes with dropping that - I'm happy to hear you say they are good ones!

Yes I have lots of friends round me giving me support. They are being really great.
I was less tired, clearer headed, I stopped having constant UTI's and my muscles ached less. I hadn't realised until my GP mentioned something after the op, that they were the reason why i felt so ill a lot of the time. It was a very welcome unexpected benefit. Once the scales start moving and you drop dress sizes like you would never have imagined this rough time will be a distant memory. Good to hear you have lots of friends to support you. :)

That's interesting. Less tired will be very welcome. I haven't noticed my head being fuzzy but I wonder if I will notice it get clearer.

Please be aware that these are my thoughts right now and I am aware that when I feel better and see progress, my thoughts may change. I'd never had an operation before and it was stressful. I wish I had had more information.

Tuesday - checked in at 9. Put in gown, and wheeled down to waiting area at 10.
Left alone crying til 12ish
Woke up to the anaesthetist yelling Breathe, breathe.
Taken to Intensive care. The nurses who moved me onto the bed were a little too strong and whacked my head off the headboard.
8pm friends came to visit. They were allowed in for an hour. Intensive care bed was really comfortable but the machine they had me hooked up to which took my blood pressure with a sleeve on my right arm was really strong and the next day I couldn't close my hand as my fingers had swollen to sausages and the hand was bright red with white knuckles. The machine was also connected to sleeve things on each calf which inflated and deflated all night to prevent thrombosis. So... no real sleep but things were ok.

Wednesday - Anaesthetist came to give the all clear for me to be moved up to the ward. I as lucky and got a room to myself. People can visit from 7 am to 10 pm so as soon as I was in a room which was 2:30pm I had visits and things were ok. A friend stayed over night with me but neither of us got any sleep as nurses were in and out all night.

Thursday - Low Moral. Desperate to sleep. uncomfortable. Had a few wanders up and down the corridor with my drip and drainage pot. Sick of my life. A doctor came in and said maybe I could go home but then saw I still had a lot of blood coming out of the drainage tubeAnother friend stayed and the nurses weren't in and out between 12 and 6 am so we both got some sleep.

Friday - Morale much better. Wandered up and down the corridor more happily - just with drainage pot. No drip today. No pain. Just discomfort. Got set free at 3pm. Home - excited for my own bed.
Had problems putting the injection in my leg which prevents thrombosis. Have to do this every day for 30 days.

Saturday - Too uncomfortable to sleep. Really fed up. Injection has made a big lump in my leg and is all squishy. I got scared and went to the local doctor. Doctor and nurse were really nice and assured me everything was progressing well, my wounds were healing and I just had to be patient.
Feeling much better today but scared of today's injection. Friend came and showed me how to do it at an angle and did it for me and didn't feel a thing.

So.... all in all the food intake is going well. I tolerated soup and juice in hospital. I'm now on a diet of alternating actimel type stuff and tiny protein shakes made with semi-skimmed milk. 8 little meals a day and water. I've only managed half a litre so far but i still have a couple of hours.

At the moment if given the choice, I don't think I would go through it again, however I am sure that in a few months when there is progress, I will feel more positive.

There is so much stuff they don't tell you - like... you breathe with your lungs and with you stomach too so they gave me a machine to practice breathing and I had to do it a few times every hour to get my lungs up to a certain capacity - which I did.

Taking the drainage tube out is the strangest most horrible feeling (apparently mine was in really deep) but the sensation goes away quite quickly.

I'm still not sure what I feel about the whole thing.

I didn't do it for aesthetics - I did it because I have diabetes type 2 and I really want it gone. This has been good so far. I was having an injection at night of 60 units, another of a different type in the mornings and a pill in the mornings. The doctor has taken away the morning pill and morning injection and I am only using 30 units at night. The Doc said to reduce this little by 2 at a time until my sugar stabilises. I am really happy about that and looking forward to being able to come off the meds when I have lost enough weight. The doctor is happy about it too :)

OK I have tried to be really honest about everything here. I'm sure things are different in other hospitals. (I'm in Spain) I know the pre-op diets certainly seem to vary wildly.

Hugs and good luck to everyone.

You’re not alone in how you are feeling. The first 2 weeks post op, all I did was cry day and night. I was emotional and I had so much regret but it honestly does get better. I will be 5 months out on 04.12.2017 and I am the happiest and healthiest I’ve been in my adult life and it is the best thing I’ve ever done. Concentrate on your fluids and get plenty of rest, the best is yet to come x x

Laaux,
Thanks. It's nice to know that other people had these hassles too. I still feel emotional but no crying so far today - although my friend was going to watch Thelma and Louise tonight and I vetoed it.It's still hard to get down all the water i am supposed to but it is getting easier.
You have had amazing results and the same start weight as me so that gives me hope.

Hugs. Thanks!

Update -

Yesterday was 1 week since the op and I had energy! I went to the shop. It was amazing to start feeling myself once more. Today I am tired again but at least I know that things are getting better! I'm so much happier now than I was a couple of days ago!

So glad your feeling better. Just keep doing what your doing and you will feel better each day.
It's normal to feel tired you have had major surgery, I think because we have just a few small wounds we forget what been done inside.
Keep well be kind to yourself and keeping you in my thoughts.

So glad your feeling better. Just keep doing what your doing and you will feel better each day.
It's normal to feel tired you have had major surgery, I think because we have just a few small wounds we forget what been done inside.
Keep well be kind to yourself and keeping you in my thoughts.

Thank you so much. Tomorrow - I shall be good and rest!

Back