• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I Think I'm Officially The Worst Loser Here..Update

PinkyButtonz

Sorry this is a long one.

Thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read this.

I had my By Pass on the 27/10/2009.
My start weight was 129.4kg.
I lost some weight before the Pre-op Diet.
On the day of my op I weighed in at 114.8kg.
Post-op 18/11/09 110.9kg

I’m almost 9 months post-op.

I haven’t been around for awhile, because I’ve felt so low about my lack of weight loss. Plus I’ve been feel really ill for about 6 weeks or so. My GP not sure if it is due to the op or my Lupus. One test came back that I am very low in Vitamin D and anaemic even though I’m on meds for both.

Yesterday at my dietician appointment I weighed in at 102kg. I have lost just over 2st since my op. I know many of you may be think I have not made I life style changes, but I have. Admittedly I couldn’t get on with the protein shakes. I am slightly limited when regard exercise because I have Lupus, thought I feel up until 6 week ago, due to sickness I have been more active than I have ever been. I have been open and honest to the bariatric nurse and dietician and they see nothing wrong in my eating apart from my portions size. Which I have said time and time again I feel I can eat to much. I've always been told not to compare myself with others. I know I’m not eating as much as I was before my op, but I almost feel like I haven’t had a By Pass. When everyone was struggling to eat one Weetabix’s I’d eat a whole one and be looking for more, but guilt would stop me having another. I tried cutting my portions down but found I was hungry and started picking/snacking in between meals. After about a week of that I just thought this is ridiculous as I have never been much of a picker before, so started to eat till full and cut out the picking.

At my appointment yesterday I saw the bariatric nurse instead of the dietician. I’ve known her from day one and before my op I would ring her fortnightly with my weight loss update. Because I was asked to lose 7kg before my op, which I did.
She explained one option would be to have the op done again. I feel like that is my only option. She was going to put my case before the MDT, but then suggest she wait till I see the surgeon (not the one that did the op) on the 29th. My GP has been closely monitoring my weight loss and said I am not the only one she has come across with such poor weight loss after the op. My GP wrote to the surgeon last month and I have heard nothing, the nurse could not see the letter in my notes.

I feel like a failure but apart from starving myself I don’t know what else I can do but have the op again.

Pinkyx

Hopefully you get it sorted, its not fair putting ourselves through this and not loosing the weight its very disheartening :sigh:

Good luck

Jaffa

HI,

Well I don't know what to say, I feel guilty now because I feel as if I have done poorly with my weight loss since my op. I look at what some of the others do and compare myself.

A friend of mine has lupus and I know she was on steroid medication for a while which I know increases your weight and makes it very hard to lose. I don't know what medication you are on but maybe that something to ask your doctor about.

I have also found that if I don't take my multivitamin (which I am terrible at remembering for a few weeks on end eeekk) I stall with my weight loss very badly.

I really wish you luck and hope things improve for you soon.

Take Care

Paula XX

HI,

Well I don't know what to say, I feel guilty now because I feel as if I have done poorly with my weight loss since my op. I look at what some of the others do and compare myself.

A friend of mine has lupus and I know she was on steroid medication for a while which I know increases your weight and makes it very hard to lose. I don't know what medication you are on but maybe that something to ask your doctor about.

I have also found that if I don't take my multivitamin (which I am terrible at remembering for a few weeks on end eeekk) I stall with my weight loss very badly.

I really wish you luck and hope things improve for you soon.

Take Care

Paula XX

Hi Paula,

I am on steriods, but only a small dose (5mg) compared to the dose (60mg) that got me to over 20st.

I've been on this dose since before and during the pre-op diet and lost weight successfully. So I don't think its to blame.

I am sickly :) good at taking my vitamins as I take other meds and have them layed out daily for the week and a pill box thingy.

Thanks

I really feel for you hun. I would have the OP again, maybe the pouch wasn't small enough if you could eat more than others. A thought has just come to mind, you didn't eat and drink at the same time did you, because this could be the cause. My nurse said she didn't get told this information until she'd had surgery. Good luck hun and take with it your two stones lighter, rather than 2 stones heaver xxx

:hug99: well done for coming back to talk about it and get some support.

There is a capacity test you can do to see how much your pouch can hold. Its to do with cottage cheese and I think its detailed on the 5 day pouch test website.

Will keep everything crossed for you.

First Pinky i eat a whole weetabix with no problems, i'm sure i could manage another half but i stop at one on the rare occasion i eat weetabix, my breakfast is usually bran flakes... As others have said it may be your drinking with meals or just the food you choose slides through your pouch easily? I'm guessing your provider has thought of this already. Maybe it would be a good thing to keep a food diary for them?

I feel awful for you that your weight loss is not what you wanted it to be, i hope the surgeon can find a cause for you and rectify it.

In the meantime don't let the situation keep you away from us all on here who will feel your sadness with you and can only offer love and support xx

I really feel for you hun. I would have the OP again, maybe the pouch wasn't small enough if you could eat more than others. A thought has just come to mind, you didn't eat and drink at the same time did you, because this could be the cause. My nurse said she didn't get told this information until she'd had surgery. Good luck hun and take with it your two stones lighter, rather than 2 stones heaver xxx

No never eat and drink at the same time. It was never something I did before the op so have found it easy to stick to it after op.

I didn't want to read and not post although I'm not going to be any help.

I really feel for you. The only thing I could suggest is that you eat till you're full and then keep a detailed food diary to take with you when you see the surgeon and hopefully he'll be able to see if you're doing something wrong or your op has gone wrong somehow.

I have been on steroids before now and I know how hungry they make you feel. Admittedly I was on a very high dose at the time.

I hope you can get sorted out soon, it would be a shame to go through the pain of the op and not have the benefit of it. xx

Hi Pinky,

Sorry to hear things havent been straight forward for you. We have such high hopes when we have surgery so I can only imagine how gutted you must feel. As others have said, at least its some weight off and not on, but clearly this hasnt worked for you like it should.

Im guessing that either your pouch or your outlet is too big and needs revising. Hopefully they will recommend revision surgery for you and you then have the difficult decision about whether to go under the knife again.

Keep posting hun. Its important that pre op people see what could happen to them, however rare.

Big hugs x

Well if its any help to you pinky Ime the same I havnt lost any weight now for nearly 3 months:eek: although I have lost quite an average amount and my clothes are baggy from month to month, the scales never bladdy well budge for some reason (ime always drinking tea & juice though). I never over indulge and I have been on the 5 x day pouchy test a couple of times so I know that my pouch has not gone any bigger I dont know what it is??

Hi Pinky, am so sorry that you are feeling low - its so disappointing when the scales don't move especially after going through this operation. Unfortunately some people lose easily and others really have to work at it. I don't lose very fast - my doc says I have a very efficient metabolism (if I were a caveman that is!) in that I can survive for long periods of time without eating much at all and still maintain my weight. When I was at my heaviest I don't think that I overate and my other half used to comment that he didn't know why I was so big as I didn't eat half of what he did, I have to go very low calorie to lose weight unfortunately and most of my family are the same. I lost 2.5 stones on the Cambridge Diet so I was 14 stone 9 at the time of my op (4/12/09). I am now 11 stone 3 at 7 months post op which is a loss of 3 stone 6 post op (and as they predict a stone a month I guess I am losing half of that). I am very active and go to the gym 2-3 times a week, otherwise I think my weight loss would have been even slower. I used to get fed up with the slow weight loss but as time goes on and my weight is coming down I am thankful that I didn't lose it quickly as my skin has toned up very nicely and the only place I have saggy skin is my bingo wings. I would get your pouch checked out as it may be that your pouch or outlet has stretched. Otherwise, just keep plugging on with the controlled eating and you will get there in the end and also as it is slow you will learn good eating habits along the way. Good luck x

Update

Update.

I had thought of not bothering to update, as I was bit ticked off by two comments that I should be positive that I had lost 2st. Interesting that the comments were made by people that had not had there op’s.

I’ve always known that there would be times when weight loss would be slower than others times but mine never really took off from the get go. So I don’t think it is unreasonable to be disappointed.

Anyway I did see one of the surgeon that works with the bariatric team. She said Gastric Bypass have a failure rate of 5% for a number of reasons.
Revision surgery was discussed and I was told it was extremely difficult and dangerous and there were more increased risk.

There were two ways of doing it one was to make the pouch smaller or to reduce malabsorption. There will be test that may need to be done before any decision is made. The surgeon is going to put my case to the MDT and they will decide on the next step.

Its been 2 weeks since I was weighed by the nurse and I put on 600g, not loads I no but I wasn’t happy. I plan to try the 5 day pouch test next week.

Pinkyx

Please don't be a stranger Pinky, this is the best place to get support after speaking with your team. I wish you all the best in the investigations for a revision. let us know how you get on. xx

I hope that you hear soon on a way forward. Hopefully, there will be a solution that will help you to acheive what you want.
xXx

Hey Pinky please keep posting because I am really interested in how you get on. Try the pouch test, you never know it may help. I hope you get things sorted for you though because we put alot of hope into having a bypass and expect everything to be sorted. I never knew that the bypass didn't work for 5% of people.

Good luck

pinky please keep us updated i only had my op a few weeks back but also feel i can eat far too much and never feel full ,,i really do feel for you,

Back