• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

opinions please??

farquar

Basically ive been told to stop on liquids for the first four weeks of my sleeve... Ive done nearly two weeks and im really missing soilds and stuff other then soups!! Lol i feel ready for the mushy stage but dont want to push my stomach before its ready to be. How long is everybody elses liquid stage? Should i be a good girl and wait? Or follow what my body is saying?? X

Don't be tempted.to do anything other than what you've been told to do. If you cheat now (even a little bit) you'll think it's ok to do it again at a later date. The diet sheets not there as a punishment it's there to get you and your body into the right state ready for the changes that are ahead of you.

You should always follow your provider's advice im afraid. I only had to do 2 weeks liquid before 2 weeks purée and then 2 weeks soft. I feel your pain but stick with it and enjoy the weight loss.

Ok. I will stick to it, just gota be strong :) just only so much soup you can eat lool just i was shocked when most peoples are 2 weeks but 2 weeks isnt that long considering if got the rest of my life to live. Come on will power!! Already did 6 weeks pre op diet lol Thanks though. Hope your both ok? Xx

Get yourself some ice lollies, hot choc, slim fast, choc yogurt/mousse. My op was in July and I couldn't bear soup in week 2 when it was boiling. Don't worry about calories during this phase as you can't get much in anyway. I am 4 months since I started my pre-op diet and nearly 5 stone off. Loving it!! How is your recovery going?

tealovingsleever said:
Get yourself some ice lollies, hot choc, slim fast, choc yogurt/mousse. My op was in July and I couldn't bear soup in week 2 when it was boiling. Don't worry about calories during this phase as you can't get much in anyway. I am 4 months since I started my pre-op diet and nearly 5 stone off. Loving it!! How is your recovery going?

Ive fort about ice lollies but there not on the strict list ive been given but did think about making home made 1s?? Not aloud yogurts or mousse lol recovering is going well. Im up n about and doing things just abit stiff sometimes. Woow 5 stone off! Thats amazing :) how are you finding it now? Xx

Yours sounds much stricter than mine! Why can't you have yogurt if you can have soup? I made lollies with sugar free squash for my pre op. they were fab. I love my sleeve. I can eat anything just not much of it x

tealovingsleever said:
Yours sounds much stricter than mine! Why can't you have yogurt if you can have soup? I made lollies with sugar free squash for my pre op. they were fab. I love my sleeve. I can eat anything just not much of it x

I nooo!! Lol i can even have jelly. Doesnt make any sense but if thats what they say to do. I do struggle with really cold things but its getting easier but lollies do make the diet sound fun. Better then the oxo and marmite. Eughhh x

My provider's advice was only 2 weeks of liquid post op, then 2 weeks mushy before starting (very well chewed) solids in week 5 post op.

It must be tough if your provider has given you much stricter rules to follow, eeeeek !!

Sharonimo said:
My provider's advice was only 2 weeks of liquid post op, then 2 weeks mushy before starting (very well chewed) solids in week 5 post op.

It must be tough if your provider has given you much stricter rules to follow, eeeeek !!

Yehh 4 weeks liquids, 4 weeks mushy then on solids. Long time but guess they wana be sure everythings healed x

Basically ive been told to stop on liquids for the first four weeks of my sleeve... Ive done nearly two weeks and im really missing soilds and stuff other then soups!! Lol i feel ready for the mushy stage but dont want to push my stomach before its ready to be. How long is everybody elses liquid stage? Should i be a good girl and wait? Or follow what my body is saying?? X
could of wrote that myself I'm
In the same boat, had my sleeve op on the 5th October so only just over a week x

Please don't believe your body at this stage.
Your body's habit is solid food and it asks for it but you know you have an healing stomach to take care of.
My guidelines were 1 week of clear fluids and 2 weeks of full fluids before pureed.
It's hard because, by the end of the day, everything you drink tastes the same but its worth the effort. The better you treat your stomach in these early days, the better you will be able to eat afterwards.
Take care!

It's ridiculous that plans vary so much. Has anyone looked into peer reviewed research into whether there's any benefit for the longer versus shorter?

I'm on fluids for 5 days, then puree for 2-3 weeks dependent on how I feel, then soft 2-3 weeks, then add in normal foods slowly. I've had a sleeve but exactly the same plan was given to a RNY patient as we were seen at the same time.

I was also shocked at the amount of artificial foods being advocating by dieticians and had hope for healthy suggestions.

I think my body will very readily tell me if it's too soon for puree like it will if it's too soon for soft foods. I had this done and it's hurt a great deal, I am not going to mess up.

I think there's absolute room for discussion with your provider about why they suggest this length and if they can give you an answer you're satisfied with then great. Speak to them and see what they say.

It's ridiculous that plans vary so much. Has anyone looked into peer reviewed research into whether there's any benefit for the longer versus shorter?

I'm on fluids for 5 days, then puree for 2-3 weeks dependent on how I feel, then soft 2-3 weeks, then add in normal foods slowly. I've had a sleeve but exactly the same plan was given to a RNY patient as we were seen at the same time.

I was also shocked at the amount of artificial foods being advocating by dieticians and had hope for healthy suggestions.

I think my body will very readily tell me if it's too soon for puree like it will if it's too soon for soft foods. I had this done and it's hurt a great deal, I am not going to mess up.

I think there's absolute room for discussion with your provider about why they suggest this length and if they can give you an answer you're satisfied with then great. Speak to them and see what they say.

Sorry but I don't think this is good advice at all. Having been sleeved 2 years ago and have actually gone through the lengthy "return to eating programme" I have to say it's there for a reason, if you are just going to listen to what they say and then do what you want because you don't agree with it then why bother going in the first place.
These People know what they are talking about they don't suggest these things just to be difficult. Part of the reason for fluids/mushy, is to hep the stomach heal and part of it is to help retrain you to eating smaller portions. Yes your body may tell you that you've overdone it but at that point it may be too late.
If you do as they tell you it is more than likely going to work for you. If you do as you see fit and ignore their professional advice then you will only have yourself to blame if you fail.

I think the advice about getting in touch with your team was best. My team moved me to solids early as I was doing so well. But I would never have done it without their say so.

Sorry but I don't think this is good advice at all. Having been sleeved 2 years ago and have actually gone through the lengthy "return to eating programme" I have to say it's there for a reason, if you are just going to listen to what they say and then do what you want because you don't agree with it then why bother going in the first place.
These People know what they are talking about they don't suggest these things just to be difficult. Part of the reason for fluids/mushy, is to hep the stomach heal and part of it is to help retrain you to eating smaller portions. Yes your body may tell you that you've overdone it but at that point it may be too late.
If you do as they tell you it is more than likely going to work for you. If you do as you see fit and ignore their professional advice then you will only have yourself to blame if you fail.

Did you even read my post? Absolutely nowhere did I say don't follow your plan. I wasn't giving advice either. I positively encouraged the poster to get in touch with their own team to discuss it.

I was making the point that providers vary wildly and there's a massive gap in science based evidence about post-operative diets. I illustrated it by giving the plan I've been given (which I'm sticking to) as a comparison to the OP's diet and there is 100's of others posted about the forum.

Having reasons and evidence means people make informed choice about their own health and we all need to do that to fully consent to what's happening, not just sign a form. "These people know what they're talking about" is an odd statement relating to such a wide variation of post-op diets given to people. It must mean some don't.

I'm sure each provider does favour their own but asking them for the reasoning why they chose that one is not a bad thing if it leads to a deeper understanding.

Of course I read your post why would I comment without reading it?
The line "if they can give you an answer you're satisfied with then great." infers that if they give you an answer you're not satisfied with then it's not great.
Maybe you should read your own post!

Gosh it all varies so much, each team I guess tries different things and they seem to be working for their patients so they must all be good. My team has stated 2 weeks on liquids, 2 to 3 on puréed, 2-3 on soft then gradually introduce a new food and texture at a time. I've gone through a lot to get here, so there is no way I'm going against their advice. It's hard but it will be so worth it in the end! X

The diet information sheets I’ve been given vary from those mentioned too. I presume they vary based on the most up-to-date evidence at the time they give the advice.

I would always follow the advice given, my bariatric team said the longer on liquids and soft, the higher chance of success in the long run – And less chance of complications such as leaks. I will not be allowed ‘solid’ foods until week 12.

Week 1- 4 liquids
Weeks 5 - 6 pureed
Weeks 7 – 12 soft
Week 12 introduce solid foods, slowly chewed and in tiny portions

I presume I will be tempted to ‘cheat’ – as I wouldn’t have got this massive if I was able to follow a diet plan, but gosh, I have the fear of God in me that if I don’t stick to that plan, I’ll get ill.

I’m sure you’ll stick to it, whether it’s 4 weeks or 12 weeks, it’s nothing for a healthy life in the long run. J xx

The is similar to my info, in on liquids for 4 weeks and so on
I have had primula cheese which is not liquid but is wry soft! So fingers crissed apart from that I've had smoothies yogurt soups and water so far I'm 2 weeks post op

Back