• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 days post op

natashoorrr

Not sure if I'm drinking too much and Im a bit concerned that there isnt going to be as much restriction as I was hoping for?

Can anybody give me some pointers?

Today, I've been sipping water throughout the day.

I've had about 2/3 bottle of slimfast (split up in to three 'meals')
A tin of heinz vegetable soup that I've sived and taken all the bits out and it just about fills a mug. I have had about 3/4 of the mug and its taken me about 40 mins to do this.

Could I get some guidance as to how much people were drinking post op each time?

I think in moments like this I was told by the surgeon that my stomach capacity is only 10% more than a bypass and therefore there only 10% less chance of not losing weight and i really thought id want less than this?

You can never drink too much, and you won't feel restriction for a few months yet. Just keep doing what your doing and give your insides time to heal :)

I am just over 4 weeks post op bypass, and l still don,t have any restriction, l am having to use my head not my pouch on portion sizes!

Thanks Paula. I guess I am just getting a bit upset with myself that I had my heart set on a bypass and I tried so hard in the pre-op and they still couldnt do it.

I really need the restriction with food, that was the whole point of having the operation! I can see some sleevers on here who have done really well but I just don't feel any different!

Your only 3 days post op, don't be so hard on yourself. The anaesthetic wont have worn off properly yet, so your insides are still a bit numb. When you start eating solid food, you'll feel restriction and remember, liquid will just flow straight through.

You can get just as good results with a sleeve as you can with a bypass. Just relax, give yourself time to heal and you'll do great just wait and see xx

Thanks Paula. I guess I am just getting a bit upset with myself that I had my heart set on a bypass and I tried so hard in the pre-op and they still couldnt do it.

I really need the restriction with food, that was the whole point of having the operation! I can see some sleevers on here who have done really well but I just don't feel any different!

If it helps hun I'm 2weeks post bypass now and I don't have any restriction I can drink a long tall Sally full of liquid in 10 mins ..drink a mug of stieved soup in 20mins or eat a small yoghurt and I don't feel anything so I don't think you would have felt any different ;). If you look at my recent diary you will see that I commented about feeling just like you as I doubted that my bypass had even been done at all!! X

Trust me,when you start eating as normal,you will feel a restriction & an awfully uncomfortable feeling like you have been punched hard in the chest if you try to push your portion size.

I am 15 months out and have restriction. I can control myself most of the time and then bam I get it wrong! Concentrate on drinking at this stage and keeping hydrated.You'll be fine

Hi Natashoooooor
Had my surgery 2 days after you and home now. How's it going?

Not sure if I'm drinking too much and Im a bit concerned that there isnt going to be as much restriction as I was hoping for?

Can anybody give me some pointers?

Today, I've been sipping water throughout the day.

I've had about 2/3 bottle of slimfast (split up in to three 'meals')
A tin of heinz vegetable soup that I've sived and taken all the bits out and it just about fills a mug. I have had about 3/4 of the mug and its taken me about 40 mins to do this.

Could I get some guidance as to how much people were drinking post op each time?

I think in moments like this I was told by the surgeon that my stomach capacity is only 10% more than a bypass and therefore there only 10% less chance of not losing weight and i really thought id want less than this?
I thought actually the sleeve was smaller than the bypass pouch and as long as you didn't stretch it would remain smaller.

Did you have a sleeve? Trust me you'll get restriction! This isn't a race, take it one day at a time. I was told our capacity is less than bypassers but in any event it's what you put in yr mouth that matters.

Drink plenty, you won't really feel much restriction when on liquids but you need to keep hydrated. The restriction is more apparent when on mush and solids, and you will see/feel what I mean when you get to it.
I had much the same doubtful feeling as you, but I'm now 8 weeks post-op and managing well on small portions.

I was told by my surgeon that sleever's pouches are just a little larger that bypasser's (that don't need volume because their food is not processed in the stomach).
I too wanted a bypass and ended up with a sleeve so was as scared as you are that it may not work. But it's working and it's doing a wonderful job. I couldn't be happier!
As many said, restriction starts kicking in on mush and, much better, on solids and you will feel it!
I'm 4 months out and restriction is there to remind me that my eyes are sometimes hungrier than my stomach is!

Thanks all :) I find at the moment I am scared of having too much liquid in case I stretch my sleeve! I know it's only liquid but its getting a bit tedious now. Did anybody have a low cal hot chocolate? Like a 40cal options one as a meal?

Thanks all :) I find at the moment I am scared of having too much liquid in case I stretch my sleeve! I know it's only liquid but its getting a bit tedious now. Did anybody have a low cal hot chocolate? Like a 40cal options one as a meal?

Check the sugar content before you drink it. As one of them are quite high x

This one is 3.5g - what do you think?

I had hot choc on liquids and ice lollies.

Back