• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im going to get a band!

honey-dd

Hi i came on this bit a few weeks ago asking about a band and now im going to have one (found the money mums paying bless her )im going to ring WGA today to book a consultation:)

im nervous already so wanted to ask a few questions if you dont mind asking

iv read that you can only have a gastric banding if you have a bmi of 40 or over?. well my bmi is 37.5. but i have pcos and joint pain and struggle to lose weight have done for years. im told to lose weight for my pain and the pcos but i just cant get it off and keep it off

i also have a high risk of diabetes so i NEED to get this weight off .

to be truthful that's the only thing bothering me at the moment im going to go with WGA and have read somewhere you can try and get help threw your gp for after care as WGA don't do much after care has anyone had any help from there gp ?.

and last but not least stupid question but will the band work ! .im scared ill use my mums money and have high hopes of getting down 5 stone or more and it not happening one of those nightmare things that im worrying about lol

hugs xxx

Hi,

As far as I know the BMI level for private is much lower. NICE guidelines say 40, or 35 with co-morbidities or weight related problems (like your joint pain). I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem.

As to will it work, well that depends on you! Livvy always describes her band as a tool, and I think thats a great way to look at it. Yes it will work if you use it properly, but if you don't then, it's just going to sit at the bottom of your toolbox and get rusty :D

I think it would be a good idea to see your GP sooner and ask for a dietician referral. That way you're in the system before the op and more likely to stay in it.

iv read that you can only have a gastric banding if you have a bmi of 40 or over?.

has anyone had any help from there gp ?.

and last but not least stupid question but will the band work !

Hi and welcome to minis.

As you are going private, I can't see them having a problem with them doing your band as long as your BMI is over 35.

Re - GP support, you need to ask your gp hun. At the end of the day you are having the op done privately, and although your gp will know about the op, you will still have to arrange your own fills etc - they will not be done on the NHS for sure.

As for the band working - well that is up to you. As my consultatnt delicately put it to me if you exist on a diet of liquidised mars bars then no it wont work!! You still have to control what goes in your mouth - the band does not do that bit for you!!

Sorry if this sounds negative, but you need to go into this with your eyes wide open and a realistic attitude - although for me the band has been great, it is not a magic cure and you and only you can work with it.

Good luck and keep posting to let us know how you get on x

alliecat, hiya was not expecting nhs to fund my fills :),lol only iv heard that some gp's will help with wound care and dietitians.and dont worry about sounding negative i want all views ,im not expecting to lose weight eating crap now so i would not do it with a band its costing to much its just that i dont want to fail so im nervous it wont work being negative and all that lol

shelbell,im contacting my gp this week to let her know my plans i think she will help if she can as my gp is great and like you say best to get that sorted

my apt is the 19th of sept at 3.30 and im nervous already but excited and hopefully i can have the band not long after that

(they rang today spooky :confused:,s i was going to ring them so paid my cons fee,and i asked about after care and the fact that id read that the after care had not been great.but that id read the surgery and before hand is great.

she told me that due to one surgeon being off things had been tight and along with an increase in banding due to fern Briton and so on ,that they had to do discharges over the phone ,but as the surgeon is now back and things are calming down these will stop. but ill get a x ray to make sure it's in the right place and discharge notes detailing what iv had and so on, so i can take it to any private surgery for a band fill when i needed it but i can have it with them if i want )

Hi Honey

I went private for my op too and before i decided on a bypass i was going to go for a band, its worth looking at all the different organisations set up and what there aftercare consists of, i went through Healthier weight and i can remember reading that they offer x amount of band fills in the first year as part of the package, worth remembering that your going to need 3 + fills in the first year, then if your ill you may have to have the band let down and re inflated post, and if you fly you will have to have your band deflated, as a band fill costs £80 upwards your post op costs are going to spire. I know you can go abroad and have the op, i'm not sure what aftercare they offer (if any) and i cant comment on how good the operation is as i opted for a UK company and had mine done here. I think reading between the lines the aftercare you get is the key to success, not just access to medical personel following the op but dietry care longer term.

Hope this helps a bit

Richard

hi honey i had my op 5days ago with WGA.. my aftercare package im having with WLS its a fantastic package and the reputation is great also livvy had hers with them.
do you know what your surgeons name is? mine was mr sigguston very nice man

charliegirl thank you xx i am really excited :)

Richard ,hiya:), i have looked in to it over the last few months and i think money wise WGA is what a can afford. i can afford the re fills myself and could of gone more expensive but i dont want to use to much of my mums money as she spends a lot on me lol. and next year if i lose my weight she is taking me my husband and kids and her and her partner to OZ for three weeks so like i said i dont want to much from her as she spends so much on me as it is lol. and to be honest what iv read has been fine about WGA i just need to get as much help and advise as i can re after care.

e.green69. wow how are you doing what was it like ?.Can i ask you about WLS and what that is about ?i forgot the surgeon's name but the one you said sounds familiar to be honest i was to busy getting excited lol

ohh and they have said my bmi is fine

and if any of you remember i asked on her about the band a few weeks ago and on the same day my dog had pups well iv put some new pics on my photo thingy as there three weeks old now (still not sold one .starting to get worried ill be stuck with 10 dogs lol :D)

Hi honey dd,
Well done on getting your date for your op, I bet you can' t wait.
Take care. I can't really help with any banding questions because I'm having a FTT with MR soon on the NHS but if I can help, I will
Trina xxxxxxx

hi the WLS is weight loss surgery group and if you go onto their website wlsgroup.co.uk and click on aftercare there is an allinclusive package and a pay as you go package. they have clinics all over the uk so there will be one near to you i expect. if you look at my blog on first page it gives you a run down on day of my surgery at dolan park.
hope this helps you

Hi,

Just wanted to say that even if you go private then your BMI still has to be over 35 with health problems related to obesity to qualify for surgery. This was true to all the companies "I" researched in Europe. My surgeon in Belgium still referred to NICE guidelines for his UK patients, and these were included in the literature I received before and after my bypass. I know a lot of people are "anti" going private and abroad, and you do have to do your homework. But I chose the surgeon, would have gone anywhere! Considering 2 of the UK ladies I was with were nurses, (1 a Matron) it speaks for itself!

I went private to Belgium to the wonderful Dr Dillemans. I live in Germany anyway, so it really wasnt going abroad for me! There were so many people having obesity operations there from the UK! Like my surgeon said, he is saving the NHS a fortune! Its a shame though that so many people do have to go private, you are certainly very lucky and priviledged if you do get NHS funding. Yes, I am a bit jealous!:rolleyes:

My surgeon is just a phone call away, and I have the use of 3 dieticians. I know for Gastric banding, he has clinics in UK for fills etc. Most companies that use Dr Dillemans also have excellent aftercare packages too.

The only downside is that my doctor here (MOD) will not give me much care related to my bypass. But this would be the same if I had ANYTHING done private. I'm not sure what will happen when I return to the UK, and go back to the NHS system, as far as I am aware its the same. Its no problem to me, I have access to all the medical care, and latest technology I need here. I have to say though that my GP is very impressed with what has been done, and very impressed with the surgeons letter to him, explaining the operation and what I need to do and when.

I have had a great experience so far.

xxxx

Hi Honey dd,
I had a bypass so can't help a lot. Sorry. I know that the concerns both physically, financially and emotionally are similar with both ops. As long as you research fully and compare notes with everyone on minimins then you'll be Ok. Wishing you the best of luck.

i got my info threw and surgeon is Mr sigurdsson .anyone know about him or had there surgery by him ?

Trinaweena, thank you xx

e.green69.im going to give that a read and iv looked in to the wls and im thinking of using them x

Silver Shoes,my bmi is over 35 but under 39 and i was told i qualify without medical reasons so dollan park must be a little more relaxed about the NICE guidelines .xx

Thaialina thank you xx

hi i had mr sig and he was very nice man with lots of humour which was great.. give WLS a call they are lovely and helpfull. they will ask you when your date is and ask you what clinic is best for you e.t.c

Back