• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric banding question (im so sorry its long)

honey-dd

Hi iv been overweight my whole life and after having my son i gained 5 stone lost 4. fell preg again gained 5 stone and she is 6 now and im only two stone lighter than full term :sigh:.

Every year iv said ill get back to pre preg weight every year i battle with it :cry:.

I lost 5 stone on cd and that is great but i have gained a stone and a half of that over the last 12 months .And i only lost half of what i needed to to start with.

I'm now doing slimmers world ,iv always gone to the gym so im fit and i can stay the same if i watch what i eat as in almost starve and and exercise 4 times a week it is not sustainable i know this and its hard :(.

Iv now got to the point that know i need help ,iv had orlistat from my gp and metformin as i was diagnosed with pcos and told to lose weight and metformin is supposed to help well it did but only to stay the same weight lol.

I was told in feb i would need ivf if i want more kids but i have to have a bmi of 30 or lower :( ,so i tried cd again but just cant do it anymore i just think it was great when i was really heavy but i just cant do it now so decided to just try to lose it on my own with slimmers world and leave ivf alone :sigh:.

I'm sorry this is long i suppose im just offloading but asking for some advise.

My bmi is 38 i have pcos ,both sides of the family have diabetes and both grandmas died because of it im so scared the same will happen to me :cry::sigh:. and along with the pcos iv got higher chance of diabetes ,i have long term hip pain caused by spd in my second preg ,iv asked for help with my hip but been told to go and lose weight. I was told to go lose weight it will help with the pcos but side effect of pcos is finding it hard to lose weight

I'm making an apt with my gp tomorrow to see if i can be referred for gastric banding?. But im almost certain ill get told to go away as my bmi is not 40 i dont want to have to gain a stone and a half to get that bmi and will take me ages to save the money for banding privatly.Does anyone have any idea if ill get any help or should i just try to save and be unhappy for the next two years to pay for a banding ?.

I think you should go and see what you doctor says. In most areas the primary care trusts will consider funding for people with a BMI over 35 if they have various associated medical conditions as a result of obesity and you may get in under this criteria. Be warned though it can be a long and drawn out process to get NHS funding, and be prepared to be told you need to make an effort to eat sensibly in the meantime. If they suspect you have deliberately gained more weight in order to be considered, you may find it hard to get funding regardless of your BMI.
My BMI was 41+ when I went to see my GP, but in my area this was not enough for me to be considered for funding so I went private.
Sorry if this seems negative, but you do have to be realistic - but go to your GP with an open mind and if you don't get the response you are hoping for try another partner in the practice. Good luck and let us know how you do x

All PCTs have different criteria. NICE recommends that surgery should be an option if BMI is over 30 with other weight related problems or BMI over 40 without problems. Under this criteria you may well qualify. However my PCT required my bmi to be over 40 along with diabetes or severe sleep apnoenia. I would phone your PCT first before seeing your doctor, mine has told me for ages that it wont be funded but the PCT said differently. Good luck.

Just a correction Happe, NICE guidelines say over 35 with co-morbidity factors, not 30.

Honey-dd, I've just had NHS surgery and at application my BMI was 39. I don't have heart disease or diabetes etc, but I do have significant health problems which my bariatric co-ordinator researched to demonstrate that weight loss would bring significant improvals to.

It all depends on your PCT and the person who submits the application. If your GP says no, it might be worth researching what affect weight loss would have on your health problems and going back with that written up for him to see and use in an application.

Good luck with your appointment, be honest and explain exactly how your weight affects you and all the different things you've tried. If one GP says no, try another in the practice.

Meant to add, have you looked at the BOSPA site to see if your PCT is listed?

I can understand your frustration about the weight not shifting, I look after three horses, mucking out grooming and riding them and still the weight managed to pile on.
You should defo go to see your Gp and tell him all the medical complaints you are suffering from at the moment and dont forget to include your family history of illness, and tell him how weight loss would help you long term to prevent/cure these conditions. Remember the five P's, Proper Preperation Prevents Poor Performance, what Im trying to say is go in fully informed about the surgery to give a clear arguement to your GP as to why it will benifit your health and sanity. I wish you the best of luck, have every thing crossed for you xx

Hi thank you for the replies :),i wont be going to my gp now for a week or so as my dog is now in labour and im not leaving her. two pups so far three more to go lol .

im under no illusion that ill get nhs funding in fact im expecting to be told no:(. but at least by going my gp will be aware of what i want and be understanding of my care if i need any from them after i have the banding.

i will get it done i would love to be nhs but im almost 99% certain it wont be, but all your advise has been great :)

but this week wait will give me a chance to write up what i want and all the reasons why so at least i can give that my gp as well. and whats the worst that can happen, told that i cant have funding :( but i know if that's the case my gp will try to help in other ways as she is wonderful:)

Good luck with the puppies - how exciting. What kind of dog do you have??
I think writing your thoughts down to take to your GP is a great idea, that way she will know that this is something you have thought about and is not a spur of the moment thing. Make sure you remember to let us know how you do x

Sorry to gatecrash this thread, just wanted to say that I hope your dog goes on ok and good luck with your GP. Hope that you get what you want. x

Good Luck with the puppies............

Right everything down, and go and see the gp..... as others have said go with an open mind, i never thought i would gt it, but i did...... so try to think positively and go with an open mind.... good luck and keep us all posted

hiya yep we now have all

blinkin

of them lol :eek::eek::eek:

millie the mum is tired and messy but talking to it well:)

me and my husband are tired its taken 24 hours in total and i will never ever go threw it again. im just lucky nothing went wrong all pups are fine and so is mum ,and they all look like there dad lol

my millie is a Chinese crested powder puff and there dad is a Boston terrier ,my millie went on heat and got caught by my Boston just before he was neutered so was a mistake but its all ok so far :confused:,im close to tears with exhaustion and worry i have been up all night and iv been so worried about my girl but she did very well

ill put a link up of the pups and the mum so you can see lol

and thank you so much for your replies xxxx

another quick question:D. my bmi is between 37 and 38 will i still be able to get banding done privately?. i obviously have the problems above but i dont have diabetes now, only pcos and joint pain and i know ill be able to get my gp to agree to me having one privatly . but even the private sites say bmi over 35 with diabetes and other problems ?

im going to go with whygoabroad has anyone used them ?

Hi hunny congratulations......................... I want one they are gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure some one will come along soon to reply........... please still try with your gp....... you never know

Think alice went with WGA, sure she'll be along soon ;)

Piccies are gorgous, so cute!

Hi lady called Alice went with that group and shes not really happy with how they left her in the lurch, she has her own thread where she gives the full run down and she would be much better to comment on them. The puppies are beautiful and not one white one! hope that you have had a good nights sleep.

Hi Honey,

First, congratulations on the puppies - they are gorgeous!! I can't believe they all came out of that tiny dog! Where did she put them?!

I had a band fitted with WhyGoAbroad at Dolan Park. I am pretty sure they will do it for you with a BMI in the late 30's. From what I remember, they will do it for anyone with a BMI over 35.

Just make sure you have a good support network around you. The trouble with WhyGoAbroad is that they don't offer much support after the op - you are pretty much abandoned and left to your own devices. Talk to your GP before you have the op and see if you can set up some post op support for afterwards - like a dietician or something.

Good luck,

Alice xx

Back