• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm new here

gemmas85

hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had their op's done abroard? i was supposed to getting mine done on the nhs but was told even though i was entitled to the op i'm not gonnna get it as my bmi isnt high enough, so im thinking of having it done privately in cyprus as that is where i currently live. Has anyone got any advice

Hi Gemma and welcome to the group.

I know a lot of people don't recommend going abroad purely because of after care etc.....

Can you just clarify what you mean by 'i'm entitled to it on the nhs but my bmi isn't high enough'?

Do you mean you're a British Passport holder but you aren't heavy enough? Sorry to ask but you haven't got much statistics on your profile...

Just wondering what your bmi is now, do you have comorbidities and where you normally live (which primary care trust) when you are in the UK?

Hello and welcome xx

Hi Gemma
I know the guidelines are for people with a BMI of 40+ but my PCT has just changed this in November. My mum was going through the process and had completed her 6 months with the dietician and should have been referred to the surgeon in Sep 09. Because the dietician did this too late and with the policy changes to now only being eligable with a BMI of 50+ she has had to go to appeal.
It really does depend on your PCT, the post code lottery strikes again.

welcome , sorry to here that hopefully you will get sorted , my bmi is 49.4 i would be devasted if i was turned away , before my appointment with the dietician my gp was really keen on me not loosing any weight. which was really easy for me to do lol , good luck with it all xx

Hi Gemma

Have you done any research into this surgeon? Successes etc.

It's not a long time to get your head around what having this operation actually will mean for the rest of your life.

I know that via the NHS you see a psychologist to discuss your weight and the op.

Personally, I'd want to do some research on the surgeon first as WLS isn't just about the operation.

Hi and welcome.

Find out as much as you can about the surgeon before you decide anything.

I would think after care would be ok though as I was on hols in Cyprus once and was very unwell with the worst cold I have ever had and went to see the pharmasist and they were brill and the stuff they gave did wonders and I felt as right as rain the next day.

All the best in getting what you want.

Welcome. I have found this forum to be really helpful although I haven't posted much. Reading other peoples experience and advice has been fantastic.

Hi,
Im new here but just wanted to say be very careful. I know how desperate you can feel with a life long weight problem, I have been overweight all my life, but just make sure you don't rush into anything. Please do some research first. Take care and Good Luck x

Back