• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm new,questions for banders

kelster

Hi Everyone,
I have my appointment with the Hospital Group on the 23rd Jul and i have it fixed in my mind i want the band. I went on the cambridge diet last yr for 6mths and lost 4 stone i came off it at xmas and struggled to get back on it resulting in 2stone weight gain. I wanted to ask a few questions to experienced banders as i fear the consultant may tell me what i want to hear and want the truth from real people who have been through it, so here goes:

1. Did you experience pain after and how long before you felt normal again?
2. After the initial 3mths i have been told you can eat almost anything is this true?
3. Exactly how much can you eat? I fear i will never be able to go to a restaurant again without leaving half of it?
4. If there was no fluid in the band does this mean you can eat normally again?
5. If you wanted to can you still eat chocolate, does it mean you could only eat half of it?
6. do need to take vitamins?
7. Have you fainted or been sick much?

I think thats it, i really hate veg and wonder how i'm going to cope, i've heard you have to change your diet to all healthy food but if i could do that i wouldn't need surgery? i thought you could just eat similar to what you've always done but just can't eat as much? I really need advice from someone who has had this done, i understand how the surgery is done that seems to be quite easy to research but i need to know more than that, any help i would really appreciate.

Thanks
Kelly

1. Did you experience pain after and how long before you felt normal again? Yes but the pain is controllable and most of my pain was from trapped wind. Fell back to 'normal' after a week.
2. After the initial 3mths i have been told you can eat almost anything is this true? Yes and no. Yes you can eat healthy food that will fill your pouch and keep you filling full. No you will probably not be able to and may be advised against eating bread, rice or pasta.
3. Exactly how much can you eat? I fear i will never be able to go to a restaurant again without leaving half of it? Im over a year out now but eat out regularly, I would say my meals are starter size.
4. If there was no fluid in the band does this mean you can eat normally again? You will have some restriction from the band alone but you may not feel it properly until there is some fluid in the band.
5. If you wanted to can you still eat chocolate, does it mean you could only eat half of it? Yes you can still eat chocolate and no it doesnt mean you will be able to just eat half. The chocolate will melt and slide through the band - willpower will be needed!
6. do need to take vitamins? No you should be able to get all the vitamins etc you need with a healthy diet.
7. Have you fainted or been sick much? No sickness for me, have fainted but not band related.

I think thats it, i really hate veg and wonder how i'm going to cope, i've heard you have to change your diet to all healthy food but if i could do that i wouldn't need surgery? i thought you could just eat similar to what you've always done but just can't eat as much? I really need advice from someone who has had this done, i understand how the surgery is done that seems to be quite easy to research but i need to know more than that, any help i would really appreciate.

Thanks
Kelly

The band will help you to eat less but it is just a tool to help with your weight loss. To succeed on any weight loss journey you need to committ to a healthy eating and if you can exercise regime.

Good luck with your appointment.

Hi Everyone,
I have my appointment with the Hospital Group on the 23rd Jul and i have it fixed in my mind i want the band. I went on the cambridge diet last yr for 6mths and lost 4 stone i came off it at xmas and struggled to get back on it resulting in 2stone weight gain. I wanted to ask a few questions to experienced banders as i fear the consultant may tell me what i want to hear and want the truth from real people who have been through it, so here goes:

i was in pain a few days but thats mostly from gas pains the best way to recover is to become mobile as soon as possible.
2. After the initial 3mths i have been told you can eat almost anything is this true?

banders can normally eat as they did before once the swelling inside ha subsided, once the fill process starts then restriction starts then thats when the real learning of how to use a band comes into play.
3. Exactly how much can you eat? I fear i will never be able to go to a restaurant again without leaving half of it?

depends on the food types, slider foods you wont get restriction, the drier the food the less you can eat, its a major learning curve but yeah you can eat out i always have done.

my band is empty at the moment i can eat everything but bread.
5. If you wanted to can you still eat chocolate, does it mean you could only eat half of it?

you could quite easily eat a big bar the band doesnt stop choc, ice cream cakes ect, banders that have a sweet tooth dont make as good progress as others that dont, will powers need 100% with these food types, if you cant then a bypass is a better option for people with a sweet tooth.

1 a day multi vitamin is enough.

Banders that are sick is usually down to food not being chewed properly, it often can occur but i believe its also a major part of the learning curve.

Thanks
Kelly

Good luck on your journey Kelly x

Hi Everyone,

I felt rubbish for 5 days, after that things got quickly back to normal, just took life a little gentler to start with. Best advice I can give is listen to your own body, if you feel tired stop.

There are certain foods that you may be advised to not eat again, For me it was bread, pasta (although at 18months post op I have it as a treat and only a very small amount) and rice. Some red meats can be hard to cope with too. Once again follow the advice you are given from your provider, the band will only work if you follow a few golden rules.

If I had to sat quantity, which is hard as it depends on the type of food, I would say about a quarter to a third of my old plate size of food. When I go out to eat, either hubby and I share a dish and ask for extra plate or I do a starter and occasionally a pud (naughty I know but this is a life style not a diet :) )

Restriction would be at a very bare minimum with no fluid, if any at all so yes in thoery you could.

Yes you can. I rarely eat it now, I found my tastes have changed. I tend to like things fruity

If you eat healthy good food as a bander you shouldn't need to, but even normal healthy folk take them anyway. So the choice will be yours.

Never fainted and if I have gone a bit to fast with food I have been known to regurgitate. Its not like being sick as the food does not get past the opening to stomach

Thanks
Kelly

You will need to change your eating habits, you will need to reduce calories, do more exercise and treat the body well to make this work. Willpower will be needed during the initial adjustments too.

Banding is not an easy option, it takes dedication and pure will to make it work well but there are plenty of people on this site who have.

As Liz said if you are a true sweet toother a bypass is definitely the best option but if you are more of a volume eater, then banding will put pay to that :)

I hope this helps getting it from the horses mouth :)

Good luck with your journey.:D

I'm not a bander i have had a bypass, i have to say my willpower is pants and i had a very sweet tooth prior to my bypass. This is why i wanted a bypass, if i could lose weight via willpower alone i wouldn't be fat now :)

The bypass has given me the fear of eating sweet things as the fear of dumping has so far kept me on the straight and narrow, even when the dreaded time of the month chocolate urge hit me. Think over your options carefully and if i was you i'd discuss your eating habits with your provider before you state what preference you have for surgery. If you can afford it be guided by your surgeon...

All the good luck in the world being sent your way xx

I was sore for a few days but still managed without painkillers. I felt more wiped out by the anaesthetic for a good week or so.

I can eat most things except for bread and very dense meat. As long as you take tiny mouthfulls and chew chew and chew some more you should be ok. Everyone is different as to what they can tolerate. I can tolerate less for a few weeks following a fill.

I can only eat small portions. For example for lunch I had a tbsp of cottage cheese with a small salad - that kept me going until about 4pm when I started to feel peckish. Tonight I have had one homemade burger (no bap) with a small salad and a tbsp of couscous which has filled me right up!

Yes.

Chocolate is a "slider" food and can pass through the band very easily. I know I can eat loads of it before I would feel any restriction. I find the same with sweets and crisps.

I take a chewable multi vitamin each day. Different providers give different advice.

I have never fainted. I was sick alot after my first and second fills but this was mainly due to me eating too quickly, not chewing enough and not following the band rules! Being sick as a bander is not generally like normal vomit. It is often just a gloopy lump of spit and/or regurgitated food(sorry, bit graphic!).

Many people believe that getting a band will mean they can eat what they want but just in small quantities and still lose weight. Whilst that might work for a little while, as you lose weight it will become more difficult and although your portions are smaller your calorie intake will still be too high. You will have to commit to healthier eating and choosing good band foods. Many banders get into bad habits and live off easy to eat food e.g. high calorie foods like crisps and chocolate. You must also drink loads of water.

I knew it wouldn't be easy as I had a done a lot of research but I must admit it has been harder than I envisaged. It takes time and effort to do well as a bander so I would advise you to research as much as you can and really learn what it entails.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
I was sore for a few days but still managed without painkillers. I felt more wiped out by the anaesthetic for a good week or so.

I can eat most things except for bread and very dense meat. As long as you take tiny mouthfulls and chew chew and chew some more you should be ok. Everyone is different as to what they can tolerate. I can tolerate less for a few weeks following a fill.

I can only eat small portions. For example for lunch I had a tbsp of cottage cheese with a small salad - that kept me going until about 4pm when I started to feel peckish. Tonight I have had one homemade burger (no bap) with a small salad and a tbsp of couscous which has filled me right up!

Yes.

Chocolate is a "slider" food and can pass through the band very easily. I know I can eat loads of it before I would feel any restriction. I find the same with sweets and crisps.

I take a chewable multi vitamin each day. Different providers give different advice.

I have never fainted. I was sick alot after my first and second fills but this was mainly due to me eating too quickly, not chewing enough and not following the band rules! Being sick as a bander is not generally like normal vomit. It is often just a gloopy lump of spit and/or regurgitated food(sorry, bit graphic!).

Many people believe that getting a band will mean they can eat what they want but just in small quantities and still lose weight. Whilst that might work for a little while, as you lose weight it will become more difficult and although your portions are smaller your calorie intake will still be too high. You will have to commit to healthier eating and choosing good band foods. Many banders get into bad habits and live off easy to eat food e.g. high calorie foods like crisps and chocolate. You must also drink loads of water.

I knew it wouldn't be easy as I had a done a lot of research but I must admit it has been harder than I envisaged. It takes time and effort to do well as a bander so I would advise you to research as much as you can and really learn what it entails.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the info - Most helpful - MeJulie x x

Wow thanks to everyone who has taken the time to answer all my questions,i understand this is going to be a very difficult journey but one that will be worth it, i did stick to the cambridge diet for 6mth but then lost my job so couldn't afford it, then came the depression and sitting at home then ultimatley the weight starts creeping on, so i must have some will power to have sticked to that for so long, i just need something that keeps the weight off once you get there and off course a helping hand to get there in the first place, i did think about doing cambridge again but i know i will just put it back on again.......decisions ey? i've non stopped researching getting a bit obsessed but hey its a massive decision, thank you for helping me....xxxxxx

oooh and one more thing to add....

Weight can come back on even with WLS, it's not the permanent fix they promise.

You have to work hard weather you have a band, bypass or sleeve to maintain the losses.

But it can be done, and WLS can give you the boost.

Back