• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm new to this site today.

Julie2

Hi everyone, there seems to be a strong L&D contingent on here but I'm not an L & D er so I hope that is ok :)
I'm 6wks post bypass op and I'm still struggling with my sweet tooth. I've been through the stage where everything must be of a pureed consistency and convinced myself that a ginger nut biscuit dunked in tea equals pureed! I am also having a problem with wind and just read on here that it is due to too much sugar and carbs - oh dear - note to self, must try harder. I don't eat meat or fish so I am also struggling to find 18 grams of protein per day. As a short term solution I've been using Sanatogen protein powder but I'm looking to find it in proper food. Nobody said it was going to be easy and I am so glad that I had the op (which was surprisingly pain free), I just need to keep my mind on the goal. Good luck to all the post op people on here and to the pre op people let me tell you that the op is the easy part so there is no need to be anxious or worried.

hey Julie, welcome to the site :) im pre op so cant offer too much advice, but it seems to be popular to add marvel to drinks etc to add more protein, good luck honey :) xxx

Hi Caren, thanks for your warm welcome. Marvel? Who'd 'ave thought it - I didn't know that Marvel contained protein. I'll be off to the shops within the next couple of days to buy some. This is great, been on the site 20mins and already I have received help.

Welcome Julie2 - don't worry, we keep the L & D'ers on a short leash! Where did you have your op?

Do you eat cheese? Low fat cream cheese is easy to add to soups / mashed potato and adds protein in a tasty way. Look at adding other proteins like pulses, tofu and quorn to your diet to add the protein element.

Good luck on your journey, and we look forward to sharing along the way.

Hi FP, (everyone here is so friendly). I had my op in London, I financed it myself because there was a waiting list of one year on the NHS, after the initial consultation, and I was feeling desperate because I'm not getting any younger and I have type 2 diabetes and mobility problems.
I do eat cheese but I'd not thought about low fat cream cheese added to mashed potato, I shall add that to my shopping list. I do eat quorn products, tofu and pulses but with the small quantity that I'm allowed including the vegetables I can't make the protein element add up to 18 grams per day.
Thanks for your encouragement, you have done really, really well. I shall look to you as one of my role models, you are the first one, so make sure to keep doing well, I'm relying on you - no pressure mind :)

Julie2, ignore vegetables, go for your tofu or whatever else gives you the protein. That is your priority right now. That and the fluids...

Good luck, oh yeah and you will probably find the biscuits n stuff don't make you dump as your a diabetic. So you are going to have to show superb willpower and not eat them.....

Hi Julie & welcome to a brilliant forum :) I'm not an L & d'er either, lol.
Check out the list below as protein is found in lots of things you may not consider. Good Luck, sweetie xx :)

Egg, large - 6 grams protein
Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz
Beans (including soy)

Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams
Nuts and Seeds

Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

Hiya Julie, scrambled egg is a high protein food... just add a bit of milk to your egg then stick it in the microwave.. and you can add a bit of soft cheese to it aswell to give a bit of extra taste.
Which hospital did you have your op... mine was Charing Cross in Hammersmith x

Hi Phatmomma, Why is it that the diabetic thing stops me from dumping with the biscuits? I love green vegetables so I'll have to keep eating them but I'll ease up on the root veg. Thanks for your advice.

I don't know any diabetics that dump. I think it's the way our bodies handle the sugar.....

And as i said before, whilst your struggling to get your protein in at this early stage you should really concentrate on that if you can....xx

Hi Julie2,

Welcome to the family

Laughing cow light cheese triangle are great in mashed potato too.

x

Hi Twinks, Thanks ever so much for listing the protein - you are a bit of a wizz at this :) I've printed it off and I'm going to stick it to my fridge. The nurse at the hospital told me that I'll never have to worry about counting calories again - she forgot to mention that counting protein grams is a must and that is as much of a pain.
You had your op a month before me and you've lost 42lb, that is amazing. You've done really well.

Hiya Julie, scrambled egg is a high protein food... just add a bit of milk to your egg then stick it in the microwave.. and you can add a bit of soft cheese to it aswell to give a bit of extra taste.
Which hospital did you have your op... mine was Charing Cross in Hammersmith x
Hi Rayne,
I'm doing the scrambled egg in the microwave thing, I'll start adding some cheese but I don't half miss the toast!
I went to the London Independent in Stepney.

I don't know any diabetics that dump. I think it's the way our bodies handle the sugar.....

And as i said before, whilst your struggling to get your protein in at this early stage you should really concentrate on that if you can....xx
Strange about the dumping. Another strange but great thing is that since the op I haven't had to take any diabetic meds.
The thing is that I'll never be able to eat any more than I do now at one meal so I've got the get the green veg in me for minerals etc.
I love your - 'I may not be chuffing Cinderella.....'

Hi Twinks, Thanks ever so much for listing the protein - you are a bit of a wizz at this :) I've printed it off and I'm going to stick it to my fridge. The nurse at the hospital told me that I'll never have to worry about counting calories again - she forgot to mention that counting protein grams is a must and that is as much of a pain.
You had your op a month before me and you've lost 42lb, that is amazing. You've done really well.

A month is quite a long time in this game, sweetie & everything I know, I have picked up from all the wonderful peeps on here :) It will soon become second nature for you. :) Are you a member of My Fitness Pal? It will help you keep track of your food intake & make it much easier for you. I was told to aim for around 800 to 1000 cals at your stage & it is very easy once you see it all written down. If I ever struggle to get enough protein, I have a Slimfast shake as they have 23grams per bottle ... trouble is they are also quite high in sugar so only use them as a now & then thing.
You will get there ... baby steps, hon xxx :)

Strange about the dumping. Another strange but great thing is that since the op I haven't had to take any diabetic meds.
The thing is that I'll never be able to eat any more than I do now at one meal so I've got the get the green veg in me for minerals etc.
I love your - 'I may not be chuffing Cinderella.....'

Are you taking Forceval & your other supplements ... if so don't worry about your veg at this stage as the vitamins & minerals in Forceval will compensate for the loss of veggies. Always get your protein in before filling up on anything else xx :)

Hi Julie2,

Welcome to the family

Laughing cow light cheese triangle are great in mashed potato too.

x
Oh Loub I've got the cheese triangles but I haven't made it to the light ones yet :)
It seems that I'll have to easy off the potato to make room for more protein so it'll have to be very light Laughing Cow on pieces of Quorn.

A month is quite a long time in this game, sweetie & everything I know, I have picked up from all the wonderful peeps on here :) It will soon become second nature for you. :) Are you a member of My Fitness Pal? It will help you keep track of your food intake & make it much easier for you. I was told to aim for around 800 to 1000 cals at your stage & it is very easy once you see it all written down. If I ever struggle to get enough protein, I have a Slimfast shake as they have 23grams per bottle ... trouble is they are also quite high in sugar so only use them as a now & then thing.
You will get there ... baby steps, hon xxx :)
I do occasionally have a protein drink (can't remember its name) that the hospital recommended.
Do you hear your stomach gurgling as the food passes through?
I'm off to find 'My Fitness Pal' to see if that will help, thanks for the tip I hadn't heard of it before.

Back