• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Im not right in the head...

elffie01

Im Meellttinngg!! :)
So I have been on a mass high since Thursday and getting my first appointment, yes the very first one lol. Which i guess is normal as the excitement and details sink in, I was up early yesterday as i couldnt sleep.:sigh:

So today Im shattered and in worry mode !
Why am I worried :? cos now Im starting to think about the surgeon saying no to me having the op at all. I dont have high blood or cholesterol, nor do I have diabetes. The only things I have in my 'favour' so to speak are:
My BMI is 49, I have sore knees, sore ankles, puffed feet all the time, Im overweight (doh!) recently I have had 2 painful bouts of indigestion/reflux, Im not sure which because I have given up going to the G.P.'s as its usually down to my weight.

Now Im reading peoples sucess stories and information and I see lots of underlying problems. I dont have any of these.. will he say no?
Also I had DVT about 9yrs ago and Im wonderng if that affects their decision? Or am I just being stupid? Im assuming that the PCT have already looked at me referral before passing it to the Spire and therefore they wouldnt have passed it if they thought I wasnt a case ?
Someone give me a virtual slap, I need that high I had the other day lol

Sorry for the pathetic rant on a Sunny Sunday lol

Hi
You're not the only one who feels like this. My first appointment is Monday evening. My first fear was i wouldn't get an appointment after i asked for a referal and now its they will turn me down i don't have any problems either exept hip pain which has been diagnosed as arthritis so me and you can worry together.
A slap and a hug for you :copon: :hug99:
good luck

Hi elffie,

I think it is normal to go through the highs and lows of anticipation...

Just hang in there, every case is taken on its own merits.

You have your foot on the first rung of the ladder, some never get this far.

Fingers crossed everything will work out well for you:fingerscrossed:

Love Mini xxx

:Dthx lamornamiss, i need that and good luck for monday, let me know how it goes

Mini - Yeah I know what you mean, I d had given up all hope tbh, till my G.P. asked if i had heard anything, after chasing it up it happens so quick. Im trying to get a some questions together too but this lot on here keeps answering them lol.

I also have a carpal tunnel problem in my left hand which I have an appointment for on the monday prior to my surgeoan appointment lol, so thats not helping as Im wondering if I can one done so soon after the other lmao, Im going to be terrible till that week and its a fornight away yet :cry:
think its a combination of tiredness, excitement, frigth and to top it all its now totm !

hi i had none of those other probs i was just like you and i got a yes my bmi was 53 and they had my previos diet history so i yhink that helped ,sure you will be fine good luck at your appt thinking of you take care xx

Dont worry hun .....

i had no underlying problems when i got my funding.

i had bmi of 49 also..

no medical issues apart from a bad back..

and i got my funding .. as time went on i found out i had sleep issue and heart issue .. but i had been givin my funding before all of this..

depends on you pct i guess and where your living..

as long as you have been down everyother road and you gp thinks its best for you then there is no reason you wont get help xx

good luck on your journey, I am still waiting for a appointment I also have no underlying problems besides bad back, hip pain, and carnt walk very far without wheezing adn carnt lie on my back anymore as i feel as if i am being crushed but my bmi is 41.6 so lower than yours i am so scared of being told no, will it go in your favour if there are medical problems in your family eg both granparents died of heart problems, my nan has diabetes and artheritus(sp) and my mother will this go in my favour and how long is the journey from referral to surgery, im under ben pct by the way

thanks all for you kind support.

madstaffyblonde1 I actually went to my GP in September last year and was told at that time that the PCT were holding appointments and it would be about 6 months before I got to see anyone about it.
I chased them up last week and was told it had only just been referred to the Spire on the 39th June so quite a wait. But saying that it sounds like my funding is already in place but I wont know until I ring tomorrow.

As for the family conditions I did get a pack through from the PALS woman as info and in it was a form which asked for any family issues; the only one I have is that my mother has just recently been diagnosed with Diabetes.

One thing I will recommend though is using PALS. My PCT are hopeless but the PALS are brillint at finding out where my referral was and any info you might need.

My referral was sent from my gp on friday last and i rang walsall manor this friday and they said it had been received, do they apply for funding first or do you have to see the doctors first. I have been refered to Mr Amir Khan. My friend had her appointment through within 10 days of the referral being sent and she has just had her pre op dates come through and she is hoping for surgery in october which will have been a wait of 6 mths, we did want to do this together but my gp gave the wrong bmi for me so i was turned down the first time.

Each PCT is different in the way they work. Im no expert nor have I been through the process so my info is limited to my experience atm.
There are some other on here that have seen Mr Amir Khan so Im sure they can advise better.

Good luck though its a strnage process and not the most patient friendly one lol

thinkbethin I did ring the Spire on Friday and ask them and the woman that answered the phone said that she was certain that I already had funding. As she said ' we wouldnt have had the referral if they werent going to fund you'. So it seems so.
I am still going to ring the PALS for Bradford PCT and ask them as its all going too smoothly for my liking lol. There will be something smacks a stop on it knowing my luck lol.

Ill let you know tomorrow, Im hoping its a yes its funded reply but we shall see :)

edit: just a thought too, when the Spire rang me on Friday to book the appointment with Mr Pollard she said they had to have done the op by the 19th Oct so thats another thing that says to me that the funding is already in place, as it seems to take forever for the funding to be decided. I could be wrong though

Last edited:
Ok so this morning at 9.05am lol I rang the PCT and asked them about funding, the lady at PALS that I had spoke to the other day about my actual appointment told me that Bfd PCT has taken the funding issue out of thier process.
Basically they get the referrals in and hold them within the PCT until such time as there is funding and/or occupancy (i.e. bed space) available and then they forward the referral onto the surgeon.
So in my case it had been held since Nov and now that there is funding in place it has been passed to the Spire as there are no bed spaces.
So thats one less thing to worry about, she said that as soon as I had been for the appointment on the 30th they would then be tests done and he could even possible give me a date there and then and put me on the pre op diet !! holy cow its moving at lightening speed and Im still decorating the hallway,wanted to get it done before I go in lol better get a shuftie on :D

Hi elffie01
I had my 1st appointment at Walsall Manor this evening
Everything was ok and i will get a second appointment in 4 months. and surgery date around December /January. So now its back to the waiting game .
Can you give me a slap if i start moaning about the wait as i know lots on here have been waiting a longer time than me from referal to 1st appointment (I have been under the weight management clinic for 12 months though)

OK 3rd time lucky trying to reply lol, if i treble post ermmm apologies lol

as i said before lol, We can slap each other together till the op date :copon:
What is your 2nd appt for ?

Im writing my questions for the surgeon atm, and Im writing a list of stuff to take, even though I havent got a date and eh can stills ay no. Ill just tell him he cant say no as I have my bags packed lol

Hi elffie01
Not got a date yet as they will post my next appointment to me but i was told 4 months.
This is like a cooling off period i suppose some people like the idea of a magic cure but don't want the op when the realize how much they are putting themselves through
My hubby went a bit pale when he was told i wasn't allowed to hoovering,cooking,cleaning or any housework of any description
I'll start ringing them next month and try to get a cancellation. Hopefully they will get fed up with me and give me an appointment just to shut me up:blahblah:
:giggle:
Have you heard anymore yet?

Last edited:
No not heard anything, now Im thinking I might just ring and see if they have an cancellations for the appointment I have booked lol. You never know and Im not the most patient person in the world.

On a lighter note all of a sudden I feel like my old self. I have booked in at the hairdressers on thurs, been and bought myself a hair dye lol. I was letting it stay natural but its boring so ive gone out and got my usual bright red/auburn colour again. Its amazing what a letter and a jump forward in the process does.

See now its 5.10 and Im wondering if I should ring them now...
LOL grr naa think Ill do it tomorrow it will give me something to do
When Ive been to hairdressers ill prob get daughter to do my before pictures so heres a warning...
If the newspapers on the 30th July state death of Top UK bariatric surgeon, you know its my fault, cos I will have done my hair and had my pic taken, which i hate having done with a passion, all for nothing. !! you will know he said no to me !!!

pmsl Ill just sit on him, that will kill or cure him lol :D:4633:

Rang the hospital to see if they had any cancellations... they dont :cry: I swear I will be bald by the time I go see him. I have no patience at all lol.

I think its harder as its not miles away, that I could deal with as Id half forget it, but its only 2 weeks away lol.

Imagine when i get my date of op !!!! Ill be skitzo :gimi:

Back