• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I'm sooo disappointed and fed up now

wobblyshirl

I was due to have a bypass done on Wednesday 13th April but everything has changed. I went in last Tuesday and had my balloon removed in readiness for the op, yesterday the registrar phoned me to talk about the op and explained that i may have a sleeve rather than a bypass, with the possibility of a bypass at a later date. Today, yes a saturday, he called me again saying that he'd discussed my case with the consultant and they had decided that because i carry a lot of my weight on my stomach they would give me another balloon albeit bigger! Then have a bypass when i've lost another 20kgs.

To say i'm disappointed is an understatement, i accept that they know best, well presumably they do, but the more i think of it the more annoyed i get, afterall they've seen me enough times in clinic.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

It's just so awful being told this late in the day when i've prepared myself psychologically for the op.

:cry:

Oh no I can see why you are fed up! Can I ask what the balloon is? Have you had a previous procedure? So sorry they are messing you about, I am just starting my journey really so can't really help but hopefully someone will be along who can. Really hope it works out for you and you get some answers x

Hello, my surgeon said that the balloon carries the least risk, the sleeve a little more than the balloon but not as much as the bypass. The risks mean that the bigger you are the higher the risk. The balloon is a temporary measure to bring your risk level lower to make the bypass less risky for you.

I probably didn't make it clear that i'm already had a balloon, it was removed last week in readiness for the bypass/sleeve this week. It's just so annoying that he's examined me twice before but never mentioned that my tummy could be too big for the bypass.
Thanks for your replies.

I probably didn't make it clear that i'm already had a balloon, it was removed last week in readiness for the bypass/sleeve this week. It's just so annoying that he's examined me twice before but never mentioned that my tummy could be too big for the bypass.
Thanks for your replies.

Aaw Shirl - How dissapointing for you, fancy building up your expectations like that then changing tack.
Guess he has to think of the outcome of surgery - especially if more risk is involved.
But as you say, I would of thought he should have thought it through more, before deciding at the last minute to change his mind!

I would just say work with him for now - have the balloon fitted, I guess the previous balloon was successful in helping to shed some weight; so let this one do its job, hopefully before too long you will be at a more acceptable weight for the other surgery x :)

I don`t understand why doctors make these decisions and then backtrack .....surely they must realise the physcological impact on their patients :mad:

Take care Shirl and try to be strong and cope with whats to come!

Love Kat x

Oh I can sense how disappointed you are, and I would be too being told like this just a few days before your planned surgery.

Perhaps you can phone on Monday and ask whether this is your only option. I know of plenty of people at your weight that have had successful surgeries so perhaps they are just being over cautious.

Maybe tell them that you understand their concerns but that you have jumped through all the hoops including having a balloon and that you would much prefer to have your planned surgery on wednesday if that is still an option.

It's so frustrating kat, wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't phoned me on Friday to talk about surgery next week- no mention of another balloon then. Then the call on saturday. grrrrrr
x

I have my band fitted at 25.5 stone and I carry a lot of weight on my stomach - I always say my stomach enters the room before me - then me - then my bum!

Hi i know how you feeling (like s----) mine was cancelled 2 days before last july and the more you think about it the less sense it makes.

I know someone who had the sleeve and was heavier then ur weight shows now. The mind boggles.....All the best for u tho xx

Last edited:
Apparently its because i've a lot round my abdomen, I guess they are doing their best to give me the safest option. Just that their timing is terrible.

Hi, I had my pre op the week before last. My surgeon told me that although I am having the bypass he may have to change the operation to a sleeve during surgery. It is apparently all about the amount of room he has to operate in the upper half of the tummy (the joining area behind the liver) He will not know until during the surgery. I will be mortified to wake up and find I have got a sleeve instead of a bypass. He said it is all about the room the surgery needs to complete safely. He said the very best I can do to help things is to stick to the milk diet rigidly. Hence I have been on it longer than necessary!!
Hang on in there, it will be so worth it in the end and as frustrating as it is at least they are taking the safest option for you

Sue
xx

Hun, I really feel for you. I am all belly and went in for a bypass on 1st April but ended up with a sleeve. Surgeon said it all depends on room. Why dont you give him a call this morning, and ask if he can do the sleeve instead of another balloon? If he is now saying sleeve then bypass why cant he do the sleeve on 13th? I will never get a bypass as surgeon was worried about medication I take and the malabsorbtion etc, im not going to let it upset me anymore....Ive been given this sleeve to help me andmy god am I going to use it :) good luck hun, let us all know what happens..x

Back