• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Impatient........

Spikeyjaycee

Hi everyone. I've been accepted for funding for WLS and have been referred to Shaw Somers at Chichester. I spoke to his secretary and she said it would be January 09 before they contacted me with an appointment.
What I'd like to know is whether anyone else was referred to him via the NHS and how long it was between initial referral, first appointment and actual surgery. I keep focussing on the positives (ie funding approved etc) but everyday I wake up in this body gets harder and harder. I feel like a car engine running on virtually empty and the nearest garage is miles away!!! Sometimes I wish I could go to bed at night and never wake up in the morning cos then I'd be rid of this body once and for all! Does / has anybody else feel/felt this way?
Thanks for listening.
Julie x

Hi Julie. Congrats on the funding, that is a big step in the right direction so well done. As for wait time, unfortunately no two doctors or patients have the same experience regarding wait time.

That said, waiting for the new year for your appointment doesn't seem too long. There are less hours available this time of year so January is to be expected for your appointment. Don't worry, most of us suffered and survived the waiting game. It is made all the worse by knowing that you can change how you feel about your body but for now you are stuck waiting.

Chin up, you passed the first hard bit and it should only get easier now. Take this time to enjoy the knowledge that next year is your year to make a change. Are you going for the band or the bypass? Which ever one you go with you are taking steps to improve your life, be proud of that and use this time to get your head in line with the journey you will take your body on!

Best of luck and keep us posted!;)

im under mr lovely somers:) i was refered last oct had appointment in march for consultation once all funding was in place and had op in sept this year it should have been july but they all went on hols lol i dont know what the current wait is but i know his clinics are always busy but believe me definatly worth the wait the whole team including christine the secretary are brilliant

hi congrats on your funding, the waiting is the hard part but at least you know you have funding and the op will take place, I think nationally the average waiting time is about 5-6 months but you are half way there keep your chin up and theres always loads of support on here if ever you feeling really empty.

oooh sorry can't help on the waiting time but had to say how lovely mr summers looks, I've watched him doing his surgery on the Discovery Health and always thought he was dishy lol sorry to hijack your thread :cool:

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Phatgirl - I was keen on the band but now am leaning more towards the bypass cos of my sweet tooth and the possibility I might revert to old ways with the band. The bypass is permanant and will sort me out once and for all I hope. I guess that's something I'd have to discuss with the surgeon.
Serenitylove - its good to hear from someone who has been treated by Mr Somers.
I guess I just have to bide my time....its just so hard!!! LOL

:)I know how you feel, waiting sucks. There are good points to both the band and the bypass. I think we all knida know which one is the right choice for our individual bodies and journey in the end. Make sure you know everything you can ahead of time. It really helps you deal with challenges after surgery if you know what to expect.

We have a nice variety of bypassers and banders here on minimins that you can look to for advice. Best of luck & ask any questions you like. The time will move faster than you think!;)

Back