• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

To diet or not to diet - that is the question...

Spikeyjaycee

I've been reading a lot of the posts on the site and would be interested in other people's view points about how you felt waiting for WLS.
I was referred by my GP at the end of July and have been told by St Richards Hospital in Chichester that it would be Jan 09 before I hear anything about an appointment to see Shaw Somers.
The thing is, because I know I'm going for this WLS my brain seems to think I can, and should, eat everything in sight whilst I can! I'm finding it more and more difficult to get about, my health is getting worse cos of the weight but my brain is saying "Stuff it - enjoy it while you can!" I KNOW that when I have the surgery, it will trip the switch in my brain to make me stick to better eating - its just at the moment my 'trip switch' has gone AWOL! Does (did) anyone else feel this way? Your comments are gratefully welcome! Thanks. Julie

hi i felt similar while waiting but be carefull, as if you are over eating because of the thought of weight loss surgery and not being able to eat after it, theres always a chance funding may be refused and then you will have regained more weight, eating lotts of bad foods while waiting for a decision. Try to be sensible until you get a definate yes or no.

liz x

between seeing mr somers and pre op app i put on a stone but i cant say i regret it i enjoyed eating the foods i knew i would no longer be able to when i had band fitted

I admit to eating what I wanted prior to getting funding, for me it worked out well, I did put a stone on but felt that I had had "my fill" of the things I would not be able to eat afterwards, I do tend to be a healthy eater anyway so did not go overboard and found towards the end I had had enough of food so was glad I did it...xx

As I play the waiting-to-go-back-to-the-hospital game, I find I am more lax about what I eat than normal. And Christmas is yet to come. But! I will not feel guilty when I have my last full size Christmas dinner on the 28th December, because next year I know it will be teeny-portions - or mush!

... my brain seems to think I can, and should, eat everything in sight whilst I can! ...
Does (did) anyone else feel this way? Your comments are gratefully welcome! Thanks. Julie

Very normal! I was lucky (!) as I didn't have to follow a pre-op diet so that was a "Last Supper Time" to the extreme! I think you will find many go through the same thoughts, which i why/how we got to our size in the first place with the unhealthy approach to food in this way I guess :confused:

Hi,

I must be odd, because I lost wait between seeing the surgeon and starting pre-op! I used the time to start listening to my tummy, acknowledging when I started to feel full and stopping eating. I still ate cr@p, like KFC and Pizza etc, but not in the huge quantities I used to!

As a result, I lost 5lbs, and by the time I had surgery felt in tune with my stomach which has been great post op.

Because i went private the turn around time between making the decision to look into WLS and meeting my consultant was only a few days, when they weighed me i felt disgusted with myself and humiliated that i'd let myself get to this state, between the consultation and op (3 weeks in total) i lost a stone in weight, i hated myself and felt i'd totally let myself down and everyday i had to wait for the op burned deeper into me, i just couldn't wait to get on with it. So i'd pretty much given up food when i made the decision to undergo WLS, i guess i'd conditioned myself to a degree.

Also worth remembering that the more you can lose while waiting is less you will have to lose after the op - also means your healthier for the op and aid your recovery time !

Since seeing my consultant about 2 weeks ago I have lost my appitite, and haven't ate half as much as i used too. and I have lost 4lbs up to date and on Monday I start my 5 day pre Op shakes and soups diet, so i will probably lose even more by Next saturday,
But Tommorrow night I am Having My last Chattanooga Pepperroni Pizza & a nice Big bar of chocolate washed down with a big glass of Ice cold milk lol (I don't drink) but Love milk, so It will be my Very Last Supper!!

Back