• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Implications of possibly having sleep apnoea

Hi Roch :)

Hopefully you wont have to wait to long until your tests and will be back on the road before you know it.

good luck Xx

Hi Swizzlestick thanks hun fingers crossed xx

Hi Roch - hope you don't mind me posting on here rather than pm'ing you although my personal experience is prob not relevant. When I weighed 30 stone I had obstructive sleep apnoea and certainly woke myself up snoring/snorting and trying to catch my breath, dribbling etc. I woke very unrefreshed and had to nap during the day. Once I got from 30 stone to 19 stone the sleep apnoea went. That is because I lost the weight from my face, neck and chest. When I went from 19 stone to 24 stone I didn't get the sleep apnoea returning, and luckily have not had it return as the weight regain has been on my legs, which is bad for mobility, but good because of lack of sleep apnoea. It affects people who carry weight from the belly up. My clothes size on top is 24 and hip clothes size is bigger than 32. It's the fat high up that causes it. If you can lose weigh pre-op and once post-op your weight reduces from your waist upwards, the sleep apnoea will improve. CPAP machines are very effective, but cumbersome.

Hi Pam as u know:D:D i carry my weight from my belly upwards and i carry alot of weight around my neck and chest and of course my belly being the worst place.
I have had a prob with sleeping for over 6 yrs now and recently it has got so bad am shattered and cant keep my eyes open during the day.
Tbh i dont mind using a cpac machine as i am desperate for a good nights sleep as i am finding it so hard to function and this adds to my depression big time.
Hope ur having a good week Pam, am going to buzz ya for as chat in the weekend take care hun and chat soon xxx

Hi Roch
I know a woman that had a bypass in Jan and she had sleep apnea and she was on the machine at night but she hasn't got it now . I`m sorry to hear about the car but hopefully after your surgery you`ll get your car back hun . Take care .
Margaret xx

Hi hun thanks i hope that in time maybe even b4 surgery is the the sleep apnea is under control maybe i will be able to drive depending on how severe it is or is not hoping for the later lol.
Take care hun and hope u have had a fab birthday xxx

i also have obstructive sleep apnoea, i'm a cabbie, so the implications were great for me...my other half noticed i was stopping breathing for periods during the night and was papping herself, she would nudge me to make sure i took a breath, i also snore like a male elephant seal on a 'horny turn' , again as already described by Lady_in_London, it caused by the excessive weight, predominently around the chest and neck areas....now back to me and my sleeping pattern...it was a case of sleeping all night and waking up tired, headaches, miserable as sin, all because i had been waking up to start breathing again upto 25 times an hour (that's a mild case too!!) so i was not getting a full night's sleep...went to the GP and was refered to the local hospital's sleep clinic, where i was given some gear to take home to wear overnight to test me for sleep apnoea....the results were positive obviously and i had to wait for a trial on a cpap machine, this pumps air down your airways via a nasal mask as you breath in and out, keeping a constant pressure, stopping your airways being constricted by the weight of the fat pressing down on it....the 1st night home on this trial was amazing, the other half had to check i was still alive :eek: it was the 1st time in 5 years she hadn't heard me snore!! the next morning i felt like a new man, refreshed, no headaches, not a miserable git!! since that trial, i now have a different pump, but the results are the same, a good night's kip....luckily for me, i never lost my licence, but i've informed DVLA and my insurance....now treated, there's no problem

click the links >>>>>

Positive airway pressure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obstructive sleep apnea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hope this lot helps ;)

Hi hun thanks i hope that in time maybe even b4 surgery is the the sleep apnea is under control maybe i will be able to drive depending on how severe it is or is not hoping for the later lol.
Take care hun and hope u have had a fab birthday xxx

once you get diagnosed and get the treatment on the go, you'll get your licence back in quick time ;)

i also have obstructive sleep apnoea, i'm a cabbie, so the implications were great for me...my other half noticed i was stopping breathing for periods during the night and was papping herself, she would nudge me to make sure i took a breath, i also snore like a male elephant seal on a 'horny turn' , again as already described by Lady_in_London, it caused by the excessive weight, predominently around the chest and neck areas....now back to me and my sleeping pattern...it was a case of sleeping all night and waking up tired, headaches, miserable as sin, all because i had been waking up to start breathing again upto 25 times an hour (that's a mild case too!!) so i was not getting a full night's sleep...went to the GP and was refered to the local hospital's sleep clinic, where i was given some gear to take home to wear overnight to test me for sleep apnoea....the results were positive obviously and i had to wait for a trial on a cpap machine, this pumps air down your airways via a nasal mask as you breath in and out, keeping a constant pressure, stopping your airways being constricted by the weight of the fat pressing down on it....the 1st night home on this trial was amazing, the other half had to check i was still alive :eek: it was the 1st time in 5 years she hadn't heard me snore!! the next morning i felt like a new man, refreshed, no headaches, not a miserable git!! since that trial, i now have a different pump, but the results are the same, a good night's kip....luckily for me, i never lost my licence, but i've informed DVLA and my insurance....now treated, there's no problem

click the links >>>>>

Positive airway pressure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Obstructive sleep apnea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hope this lot helps ;)

Thanks Marky xxxx

once you get diagnosed and get the treatment on the go, you'll get your licence back in quick time ;)

Have not told anyone yet as this happened today, just cancelled my insurance and left it at that as dont want to be informing any one of anything till i have a diagnosis as wont be driving now till get a def diagnosis.
What did the dvla say, i presume its diff for u as ur have a public hire license and when u were using the cpac are u considered as kind of cured in the way u can still drive without any restrictions xx

yw :D

Have not told anyone yet as this happened today, just cancelled my insurance and left it at that as dont want to be informing any one of anything till i have a diagnosis as wont be driving now till get a def diagnosis.
What did the dvla say, i presume its diff for u as ur have a public hire license and when u were using the cpac are u considered as kind of cured in the way u can still drive without any restrictions xx

now don't be rushing into things like cancelling insurance, ok so you can't drive the car...for now...get to the sleep clinic, and get tested, once diagnosed you'll get treatment, and once you use the cpap machine of a night time it no longer becomes a problem of a day time, thus the hospital will give you the all clear with DVLA, DVLA were fine, as long as i'm using the treatment they're happy, you'd more than likely have had to have had a sleep test anyways, so it's best to get this stage outta the way now, one less hoop to jump through later on ;)

? lol
Soz forgot to ask did u stop driving whist u were waiting for diagnosis and the cpac machine x

nope, the hospital were fine, they do this test thing where you have to answer some questions re how tired you are and the likelihood of falling asleep whilst doing certain daily activities, like after lunch, or watching tv, or chatting to people, i scored very low, even tho i was diagnosed, so guess mine wasn't too much of a worry to merit losing my licence straight off ;)

nope, the hospital were fine, they do this test thing where you have to answer some questions re how tired you are and the likelihood of falling asleep whilst doing certain daily activities, like after lunch, or watching tv, or chatting to people, i scored very low, even tho i was diagnosed, so guess mine wasn't too much of a worry to merit losing my licence straight off ;)

Thank you marky u have really helped me with all ur info so fingers crossed after i am diagnosed i will be able to drive again.
Did u inform the dvla right from the start and what did they say, soz for all the questions.
Me not driving now is going to make me housebound for the next few months till i get a diagnosis hence all the questions, thank you xxxx

Thank you marky u have really helped me with all ur info so fingers crossed after i am diagnosed i will be able to drive again.
Did u inform the dvla right from the start and what did they say, soz for all the questions.
Me not driving now is going to make me housebound for the next few months till i get a diagnosis hence all the questions, thank you xxxx

only told DVLA when told to by hospital, how can your doctor forcibly stop you from driving when a proper diagnosis hasn't been made, yes the symptoms are there and obvious, but till a sleep test, nothing set in stone, your doc sounds a bit of a doggy doo doo ;) right off to put me mask on and sleep like a baby!! nite for now, any more questions, just ask

Roch was cancelling the car Ins a good idea?? If something happens to your car when its parked you wont be covered, what if its stolen, has a fire, or is damaged in some way. You should really keep it insured. Insurance isnt just to cover your driving. How would you cope tomorrow if you woke up to find an empty space where your car should be :(

Roch was cancelling the car Ins a good idea?? If something happens to your car when its parked you wont be covered, what if its stolen, has a fire, or is damaged in some way. You should really keep it insured. Insurance isnt just to cover your driving. How would you cope tomorrow if you woke up to find an empty space where your car should be :(

Yes ur def right there was not thinking straight it just came as such a shock to me :cry:
Will give them a call today thanks hun xx

I was tired all the time and put it down to the diabetes and R/A. I have always snored but decided to ask for a test for sleep apnea. I had the tests and it was confirmed that I have severe sleep apnea and woke up numerous times in the night, I used to go to the loo about 8 times a night!!
The day I got my CPAP machine I slept 6 hours! I even got up to check the clock was right!!
I now regularly get a good night's sleep and feel so much better, I was told that I had to inform the DVLA but so long as I wear the CPAP for at least 4 hours a day there is no problem with driving.
I have had no tiredness problems since using the machine.
On a negative note, it is not very glamorous to wear but you cannot snore when wearing it so that has to be a bonus!!
It was the best thing that I have ever done... except having WLS!!
Hope this puts your mind at rest
Pauline:)

I was tired all the time and put it down to the diabetes and R/A. I have always snored but decided to ask for a test for sleep apnea. I had the tests and it was confirmed that I have severe sleep apnea and woke up numerous times in the night, I used to go to the loo about 8 times a night!!
The day I got my CPAP machine I slept 6 hours! I even got up to check the clock was right!!
I now regularly get a good night's sleep and feel so much better, I was told that I had to inform the DVLA but so long as I wear the CPAP for at least 4 hours a day there is no problem with driving.
I have had no tiredness problems since using the machine.
On a negative note, it is not very glamorous to wear but you cannot snore when wearing it so that has to be a bonus!!
It was the best thing that I have ever done... except having WLS!!
Hope this puts your mind at rest
Pauline:)

Mornin Pauline and ty so much for taking the time to post so early in the morning lol.
I can cope with not driving till diagnosis and getting a cpap machine that i can def manage and now quite a few of the fab MM crew have not told me they can drive when they are using their cpap machine thats fab and gives me something to hold on to.
I am the same getting up to go to the loo so many times during the night as well.
Am not bothered bout not being glamorous i only share my bed with my 16 month old staffy ga; so am sure she is not bothered how i look in the night :D:D:D:D:D
Thanks hun and have a good day xxxx

Hiya hunni, just thought would drop a line or 6 here..

I was diagnosed with sleep ap during prep for my op after filling in a short questionnaire given when saw surgeon on 2nd appointment. I had quite a high score and like you - woke several times, very groggy and difficult to wake in the morning, headaches, very drained, lethargic due ot lack of energy and could hardly keep my eyes open for long through the day. am also disabled and loved being able to go n get in the car n go for a drive with our black lab in th back n pooter very slowly while she run rings around me n OH. I was ADVISED no LONG PERIODS of driving by the lady at the C.I.S unit at the hospital (not told by GP!) so OH took over and only allowed me to drive at all after sleeping for more than 5 hrs - he wanted to make sure I was awake enough to concentrate. ( on a website I found while looking into O.S.A that sufferers are 30% more dangerous than a drink driver) OH didnt cancel insurance as I stopped driving but rather than reinstate it once treatment began, he left it. It only took me 3 week to get appointment for the sleep study and although the symptoms are there for you, there are rare occasions where the study doesnt pick up on everything (think someone else already posted their result showed they didnt suffer from it?). my results were borderline (was having 22 'apnoeas' an hour and 19 hypopneas an hour) however due to amount of other symptoms and results from the questionnaire - I was diagnosed and given a CPAP machine. yes, it helps immensely if you can 'get used' to the mask as it really does take a bit of getting used to wearing mainly due to the fact - your not used to something on your face as you sleep but the benefits are amazing. You'll wake easier in the morning, actually feel rested and because of this - you'll have more energy and feel less drained less quickly. feel free to pm me any time if you want more info.
I have a link similar to one previously posted where you can assess your symptoms and gives you a probablity of outcome of your sleep study.

remember - we're all here for you & good luck on your journey hunni

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back