• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Implications of possibly having sleep apnoea

I don't get a good nights sleep either, I snore like a pig and can sleep for 3 hour during the day after 6-7 hours of a night, As soon as i get up in the morning I want to back to sleep.
I had to have a sleep apnoea test done It can back as normal, no one was more surprised than me.
But at no time was i told not to drive.
I would phone your GP and explain how much you need the car and can he try to get the appointment Quicker (I waited 9 months before my appointment)
As you haven't been diagnoised with sleep apnoea there shouldn't be a problem with driving UNLESS you feel unsafe (do you feel sleepy when you are driving or had moments when you thought you were unsafe to drive)
Phone the DVLA and ask them for advise (be careful they can revoke your licence if they feel there is a problem)
Good luck

Same here, I was never told not to drive. On the score test I think I scored 9 and it about 15 that they are more concerned about.

My sleep study came back negative. I never feel sleepy while driving and if I did I'd give up driving.

forgot to mention what everyone else has, used to pee for england of a night time, up and down like the blue bottomed fly, don't get up at all now, plus the tossing and turning has stopped too...it's like this WLS.....till you have it treated you think ''now why didn't i sort this sooner''

The test is very simple, you just have to attach a machine to your waist, put a sticky on your waist, one on your chest and a tube under your nose for one night, dead easy.

Wow all i had was a thing like a big watch that went on my wrist and a finger thingy like they use for blood gases. In fact it was so small it fitted in a pencil case

My father had sleep apnoea for years, despite being skinny, and he was never advised not to drive and he was under all sorts of docs. His docs did eventually stop him driving due to heart problems but never for the apnoea. Are you sure they've given you the right advice - falling asleep unexpectedly and suddenly is narcolepsy (which you definitely can't drive with), not apnoea.

Anyway, hope they can sort it out for you soon, a good nights sleep is one of the best things in the world.

Could the sleepiness during the day be because you nap in the day. If someone does not get a good night's sleep they may have naps during the day or immediately on returning home from work. I think if someone who wakes unrefreshed in the mornings, and possibly doubts the level of sleep apnoea they have, may not be having a deep sleep due to sleeping during the day. Could that be the case?

Hi Glad you have had lots of advice. Yes, the mask takes a bit of getting used to but make sure you get a comfortable one, I now have quite a small one which is great, the first one I had blasted out a gale force wind into my eyes and I changed it thankfully, keep nagging till you get a comfortable one it is so worth it, I was getting around 70 apneas an hour! Now I only wake up once or twice and that is normally due to the cat jumping on the bed!!!! Good luck Pauline

Just been reading all these replys, they are all interesting.
I also have very bad nights waking up, fidgeting, going to the loo, I can then barely keep my eyes open through out the day, I usually put my waking up down to waking up in pain due to my health problems with my spine, so on waking I usually take an Oxynorm (stronger than morphine) this is a fast acting medication Im so used to them now that I don't think its them that make me sleepy, as I take so many other medications including the slower acting pain med Oxycontin I have been on these at least 7 yrs.
I take my parents to a stroke club once every 2 weeks and one of the activitys is Bingo, I fall asleep when I play this dribbling as well, I never win lol!
On a serious note Like many others here I fall asleep during the day it can be morning afternoon or both, I always wake up feeling like I have not finished my night off!
Im sure when explaining all this at my first appt they may want to check me out or maybe just put it down to my pain which is what I think it is. Oh and my husband and kids do say I snore, I disagree, but secretly I know I do as I woke myself up once I was so loud and woke up laughing because of it heeheehee.
xxx

Hi I have had sleep apnoea for years. Your story sounds very familiar. I was never told not to drive whilst waiting for investigations. Just to not drive for long periods and not to drive if too tired. Using the CPAP machine has made a vast differance to my life. Not am I more alert, but I also manage to read books in bed without falling asleep. Hope you manage to get tested soon.

Rebirth

Back