• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Indigestion/Reflux

Need2Slim

Hi. I'm just wondering if many people have opted to go for a bypass instead of a sleeve due to Reflux or indigestion?

I already get indigestion occasionally anyway and I know having a gastric sleeve makes it worse. Is it bad enough that people wished they has the bypass instead? Or do you just get on with it? I really don't want the bypass at all, it's just to invasive for me

starryeyed

I suffered with it badly post op but was fine a few months after and I don't take any medication for it now as it doesn't effect me anymore. I know a lot of people have stayed on the tablets but I guess I'm one of the few who isn't. I'm a year and a half post sleeve.

Maria61

Hi. I'm just wondering if many people have opted to go for a bypass instead of a sleeve due to Reflux or indigestion?

I already get indigestion occasionally anyway and I know having a gastric sleeve makes it worse. Is it bad enough that people wished they has the bypass instead? Or do you just get on with it? I really don't want the bypass at all, it's just to invasive for me
Hi Danielle I chose bypass due to reflux and during surgery they found I had a hiatus hernia which they repaired. This has sorted the reflux so win win me. Good luck with your decision xxx

Need2Slim

I suffered with it badly post op but was fine a few months after and I don't take any medication for it now as it doesn't effect me anymore. I know a lot of people have stayed on the tablets but I guess I'm one of the few who isn't. I'm a year and a half post sleeve.

Ooh I hope I get as lucky as you then starryeyed ☺ Did you have it at all before the op?

Need2Slim

Hi Danielle I chose bypass due to reflux and during surgery they found I had a hiatus hernia which they repaired. This has sorted the reflux so win win me. Good luck with your decision xxx

Thanks for replying. I'm glad you don't get it any more, thats great. I hope that's not what causes mine

FeeBee

I had quite bad reflux for years before I had the sleeve. I opted for that for several reasons not least because potential malabsorption with a bypass would have messed with a lot of other medications I'm on and will always be on. Plus I have bowel issues and had various procedures so fiddling with them wouldn't have been great for me. I tried coming off my antacids 3 months post op and the symptoms came back within a week so I went back on the meds. One more tablet doesn't make a difference and what I have noticed is I get no break through symptoms like I used to. If you'd rather have a sleeve and don't mind taking an antacid a day then I'd go for it if your surgeon agrees.

Need2Slim

I had quite bad reflux for years before I had the sleeve. I opted for that for several reasons not least because potential malabsorption with a bypass would have messed with a lot of other medications I'm on and will always be on. Plus I have bowel issues and had various procedures so fiddling with them wouldn't have been great for me. I tried coming off my antacids 3 months post op and the symptoms came back within a week so I went back on the meds. One more tablet doesn't make a difference and what I have noticed is I get no break through symptoms like I used to. If you'd rather have a sleeve and don't mind taking an antacid a day then I'd go for it if your surgeon agrees.

Hi Feebee, thanks for replying, the only reason I wouldn't go for the gastric sleeve is the Reflux/Indigestion. If you say you had it before and still went for the sleeve it makes me happier to know that is still probably the best option. I just do not like the idea of the bypass at all. I used to be on omeprazole/lansoprazole after having my gallbladder out, but haven't taken them for years now. Hopefully my surgeon will let me have the sleeve (if he agrees at all)

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @DanielleTJ, another sleever who also suffered with it pre op!

I started to get reflux and really bad acid while my band was still in. They emptied it for me and the symptoms were just as bad, so after another year the band went. I then had to take omeprazole twice a day for three months, then down to one a day which I continue to take at 13 months post op.

I have had no bad attacks since I was taking the two a day, so all is well. I'm not sure if I'll have to remain on it long term and I must ask when I go for my check up in a few weeks :D