• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

INDIVIDUAL FUNDING PANEL

janeyf

Hello everyone,

It's been a good while since I last posted here. My request for funding has been rejected three times since I was originally referred by my GP in December 2009 to the Weight Management Service with Stockport PCT. My starting BMI was 50.3 but they said I had no co-morbidities when it came time to apply for funding later in 2010. I continued to attend the Change your Life meetings that were held monthly and appealed to the PCT. Anyhow, after a lot of tooing and frowing and researching and getting PALS involved etc. my appeal was put to the Individual Funding Panel in July last year. They came back to me stating that it was decided that following my G.P.'s further report, that I DO have co-morbidities BUT they didn't feel that I had shown enough committment to loosing weight and if I could show them that I could loose weight and sustain it for 6 months, they would go back to the panel and ask them again. I only managed to loose 11lbs. I have been on absolute pins waiting for the post, only to find out today from their office that although my case was put forward, no decision has been made yet until the next panel meeting in 2 months :eek:

I am just beside myself with the stress of it. Has anyone else been in this position with the funding panel ?

Every area seems to do things differently don't they. I have never been near a hospital about my weight loss let alone spoken to a surgeon. I just feel as though they are taking the complete poo and am so fed up.

Jane x
I

I'm sorry to hear that. I can't understand why you have been declined surgery though. The nice guidelines clearly state that if you have a BMI over 50 weight loss surgery should be offered as a front line treatment, even if you don't have any co morbidities.

Unfortunately each PCT make up their own criteria which may or may not bear any resemblance to NICE guidelines. And even then, some PCT's are refusing people who meet their own criteria.

My PCT seem to make it up as they go along. It seems as though they are constantly buying time for something. I mean it is surely either yes I have lost enough weight to satisfy their requirements or no I haven't. What is going to take 2 months to think about ????

It may be because your just over a BMI of 50. Do you and your GP have any evidence of attempt to lose weight? e.g weight watchers, slimming meds etc? Also you should meet the criteria anyway if you have co morbidities.

Possible they are trying to allocate the funding elsewhere if they can first. I would ask for a freedom of info request as to why its taking so long maybe?

They have had all the history of my attempts at weight loss over the years and what problems I have as a direct consequence of my size etc. I have provided them with all sorts of evidence from different articles and have argued the toss with them about how they keep on changing their criteria. My previous efforts have been chronicled in past posts. At first they refused surgery on the grounds I did not have any co-morbs. After my 3rd appeal they decided I did have co-morbs but hadn't proved to them that I had changed my eating habits and wanted another 6 months to see if I could prove I had. If they say no again I am involving the Health Ombudsman because obviously having the required BMI and them now admitting that I do actually have co-morbidities, they surely must be up to no good with the funding monies. I bet they've got a bloody timeshare in Tenerife they all use with the money !!!

I've now heard from the funding panel that although they can see I have made some effort to loose weight (11 lbs) , it was not the 10% they has asked for. They want to see me again in another 6 months Ggggggrrrrrrr

Well I suppose its not an outright no. I will really have to get my ass in to gear these next months and then hopefully they can have nothing to throw back at me.

Oh I do feel for you......it is so STRESSFUL isnt it! I was turned down twice but I had a lower bmi than you, even though mine did say 45 with co morbidities and I have sleep apneoa. It is very very depressing getting those letters and in the end I thought sod it and tried to get a loan......which I managed (after more stress lol). I was turned down again for funding in Feb and am now a week old sleever! If there is anyway you can manage to get funds it certainly is better for your mental health.......and I'm sure you save the money you paid out in the long run by saving on your food bills!! I know everyone can't self pay but having the NHS make you jump through loops and loops and loops isn't fair sometimes!

Hi ClairyB,

Thanks for your reply. It is a long, long road isn't it. I could really kick myself though because I shouldn't have given them a reason to turn me down. I should have made much more effort get the amount of weight off that they requested i.e about two and a half stone. It is barmy that we are only at this stage because of our inability to lose weight on our own, but you have to lose weight to get the surgery :rolleyes:
Anyway on with the next 6 months

Back