• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Injecting yourself???

Natstar

Hi all,

I've been sent home today woo hoo and seem to be recovering well! However I just did my first injection and despite watching an thinking I did it correctly I obviously didn't as I have a little lump where I did it and it bled a tiny amount.

I think I didn't go in far enough but just wondering of anyone has any hints or tips?

Thanks!
Nat x

I've been injecting myself for nearly 2 weeks now & still don't feel like I've got the hang of it! Spoke to my doctor today & she said not to worry too much about the lumps & bruises! I have found it easier to inject the sides of my tummy easier than my legs or arms.

borogirl said:
Hi I know you need injections with a bypass, do you need these with a sleeve also? x

Yes I had to do them after I had my sleeve it's to thin your blood so your less likely to get blood clots, the needle is tiny so you don't feel it going in x

I had a sleeve and had to inject myself with anti coagulant for a month to prevent blood clots. I also had to wear surgical stockings to help prevent DVTs.

I was told to inject into my tummy. To pinch the fat together- as if that is needed! And put the needle in as far as the plastic 2 inches from my belly button. Seemed fine for me. Obviously move round that circle each time. I only had to do it for 10 days thankfully.

I was told to inject around the belly button area as there is a better blood supply.I have bruises but they soon go down.

It's a subcutaneous injection, so sometimes however gentle and careful you are it will leave a little bump and bleed a little.

Try to pinch so you inject straight down as this minimised bruises for me. Not the bleeding though ;) Also, if you read the instructions it says at least 5 cm away from belly button.

The syringes they gave me had a needle that protruded no more than about 1cm that way you can't push it in too far. As others have said pinch the skin to form a ridge and then go in straight and come out straight. try not to move the syringe from side to side when is in or you will definately bleed a little and bruise.
The injection is to thin the blood and stop you from getting a DVT and as a result you will bruise more easily while you are on the jabs. I did my thighs for 2 weeks and then moved onto sides of stomach keeping away from the entry wounds from the surgery.

The type of surgery you have is irrelevant as to whether you need to inject or not it's purely down to your team/Surgeon

Last edited:
wow i hadnt heard anything about this. u learn something new everyday. thank goodness i got over my fear of needles :) xx

hi natstar i too have to inject for 4 weeks after my gastric sleeve,no pain at all but iam a little bruised,im also suffering from a littel itchy rash around the punture sites on my tum and what with the heat we are experiancing its quite uncomfortable and hard not to scratch so i went tothe doctors and she has said its quite common and then prescribed some topical cream and some liquid anti histamine so far so good.x:D

Thanks all Ill let you know how I get on tomorrow!

Just to let you all know I managed it ok tonight and have no lump/blood!

ohh not sure I can manage injecting myself. Hadnt realised! But it seems an essential so I am not going to dwell on the thought, you guys seem to have got it down to a tea x

I was told by my nurse to pinch the skin and inject slowly....but release the pinch before taking the needle out...relatively painless, slight bruising but no bumps or bleeding!!

I have always hated needles and never in a million years thought I'd be able to do this myself, but to prevent DVT's and have this lifeline...its worth it :):)

Yep they are blood thinning injections to prevent DVT, but they need to go in at a 90* angle but can't remember why. These injections sting but if you rub & touch your stomach afterwards & I mean literally touch or rub you will bruise & whooper. Ruses to they can produce. Just try to go straight in no angles & no touching & you should be fine. (sorry just had 2 major surgeries & know quite a bit about these little injections) if that helps anyone. Good luck ? x

I have systemic lupus & Antiphospolipid syndrome, i had to inject with both my pregnancy's 8 months each then again with the bypass, My original injections were clexane and with the bypass it was fragmin, I dont know why but clexane brought me out in apple sized lumps& bruising with bleeding at the site yet fragmin was so good it was like never having a needle in your skin at all! not sure why that it but either way they both done the job bumps/bruises or none, as long as you empty the syringe inside your skin then your getting the dose so dont worry too much, also i found injecting my belly very painfull so i chose my thighs and done it very very slowly, as the others have said keep it straight when you go in and start to release the skin on removal of the empty needle/syringe x all the best xx P.s i'm needle phobic but managed these as they are life savers xx

They gave me a 10 dat course and because of my size 2 injections a day, i'm alternating from left to right on my belly, it does bruise but i'm sure it will dissapear quite quickly

Good luck xx

Back