• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Self-injecting blood thinners post surgery

TiaLi

I was told at my pre-op that I will need to self administer blood thinners for 4 weeks after surgery. These are taken subcutaneously rather than intravenously, so I know they don't require much "skill" as such - but I do think I would still have trouble injecting myself.

I'm not really bothered by needles per se, I don't have a fear of jabs, drawing blood etc. However, I am fairly certain I'd still have a bit of a mental block in terms of stabbing myself with a needle. I also always turn my head away when I'm given an injection, because if I see it go in, it hurts more (I'm sure that's just psychological, but...).

How did others get on with this? Did you get used to doing it yourself, or did someone do it for you?

I'm having surgery Tuesday and have my first injection to do Monday morning, honestly the needle is tiny and veey fine. It may sting but it's over in a second, if I can do it anyone can x

I'm having surgery Tuesday and have my first injection to do Monday morning, honestly the needle is tiny and veey fine. It may sting but it's over in a second, if I can do it anyone can x

Thanks Kellylou! It's not that I think it'll hurt, it is more of a mental block of actually injecting myself. Let me know how it goes Monday! And good luck with your surgery!

Thanks Kellylou! It's not that I think it'll hurt, it is more of a mental block of actually injecting myself. Let me know how it goes Monday! And good luck with your surgery!
Awww bless you, I can completely relate to that, I had to start injecting my self every day for my diabetes and I struggled, I just couldn't bring myself to stick a needle into myself, OH said he wasn't going to do it for me because it wouldn't help me in the long term, which was correct but he did hold his hand on top of mine and sot of helped me guide the needle in, it took about 2 weeks of doing this before I could do it myself, now I don't give it a second thought, I can only suggest that if you do struggle then maybe give it a try with your husband/partner/friend because it really helped me, try not to get to worried about it, you are about to embark on the next stage of your journey, look forward with great anticipation, good luck and I look forward to following your continued journey xx

Aww thanks @Bling Babe ! Yeah I guess I just have to suck it up and get used to it. Four weeks is a long time, so I can't run to my gp everyday. Thanks for the tip about having someone sort of "steer" my hand a couple of times, I'll try that. Hopefully I'll be fine after the first few tries.

...and I'm not even scared of needles - how do people who really are handle that??

I hit a block 10 days into injecting and found it hard to stab myself. I then used ice for 20 minutes to numb the area pinched skin and slowly inserted needle at a sideways angle so only went 1/4 inch deep as only has to be a little under the skin not 90 degree angle. It did not hurt going in slowly if numb enough and got easier again as could not do the stabbing bit anymore despite not even hurting. All psychological!

I was told at my pre-op that I will need to self administer blood thinners for 4 weeks after surgery. These are taken subcutaneously rather than intravenously, so I know they don't require much "skill" as such - but I do think I would still have trouble injecting myself.

I'm not really bothered by needles per se, I don't have a fear of jabs, drawing blood etc. However, I am fairly certain I'd still have a bit of a mental block in terms of stabbing myself with a needle. I also always turn my head away when I'm given an injection, because if I see it go in, it hurts more (I'm sure that's just psychological, but...).

How did others get on with this? Did you get used to doing it yourself, or did someone do it for you?
I struggled post -op, not with the fear of putting the needle in, I have no problems myself with needles and have used epi pens. My problem was I was told at the hospital that I had to discharge a tiny amount to the correct dose, and make sure i remove the air, as it was very important (dosage is calculated on weight). In my dopey state it kicked off my anxiety and I refused to do it, so they arranged for a district nurse to do it until my head was back in a place it could cope with taking in a demonstration of how it was done. The ironic thing was that the Head of the District Nurses who came to show me how to do it was injecting the full syringe (i got lots of different nurses) because she had forgotten her glasses and was wearing someone else's so couldn't see properly!!

Mine worked best in my stomach as it was the fattest part and the easiest to get it straight in. I guess you could get it ready, line it up to the skin and then look away whilst you press the plunger? You may also find that as it is you controlling it, your head may think you are also controlling the pain? They are only a tiny
sharp scratch, the pain comes from if you rub it afterwards as it makes it bruise :(

I get why you are worried, as it took me a while to deal with my fear, but I got there in the end.

I had to have these jabs when I was banded in 2004.
Only for 4 days after leaving the hospital..
Just make sure you swab the skin properly as this is one of the most common forms of post surgery infection..
like the rest have said it's fibre thin tinsy needle and once you have done the first one it gets easier ..
Not so easy if you have a genuine fear of needles though xx

My problem was I was told at the hospital that I had to discharge a tiny amount to the correct dose, and make sure i remove the air, as it was very important (dosage is calculated on weight)

Really? I thought they were all prepped and ready to go! It would be so me to accidentally give myself an air embolism instead... :D

I was really anxious about managing this too. I was very needle phobic until I got pregnant the first time and had no choice but to get on with it as they seemed to stab me every 5 minutes for 9 months :D
My needles came with the correct dose and a nurse went through it all with me before I left and it was very straightforward honestly. I did mine in my stomach too and the only thing is I rubbed the skin after because it was a bit sore but apparently that makes the bleeding worse. As with everything on this journey people are given the injections for a different number of days I think but just follow what your team say and you'll be fine x

Back