• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Inspiring read for Banders !!!

lovebug

Official Lap Bander !!
Hi Guys, Just found a website and on it a girl has written her blog...the most interesting thing is how she has got on 1 year later...worth a read !!:D
"Saturday, September 29, 2007

As promised, here is a summary of the inaugural year of Bandit Girl:

• My band is but a tool
  • I have a love/hate relationship with it. There are days where I can’t imagine and don’t ever want to be without it. And there are others I curse it as I struggle to swallow a sip of water or a teaspoon of yoghurt
  • It took 8 fills and £720 to get my band reasonably adjusted but not necessarily perfect
  • My scars are all but faded
  • I occasionally get port pain - especially if I'm doubled over for a while or slouching
  • I lost a total of 25.3kg (55.7lbs) in one year
  • My friend who had surgery the same day weighed more when we were being rolled in theatre but has lost more than I have (and is significantly smaller!) in the same time frame. Truthfully, I am sometimes envious. But then I give myself the proverbial kick, wish her every good thing and realize that everyone’s journey is unique. I now fully appreciate that each person’s body will respond differently. I am so thankful that the surgery and lifestyle changes have been this successful so far
  • I would like to lose another 12-14kg (26.4-30.8lbs) … I don’t have a time frame in which to achieve this
  • My BMI has dropped from 37.6 to 29
  • I have lost 4 dress sizes – from a 22 to a 14 but bordering on a generous size 12 fit
  • I’m not so small I don’t recognize myself – other people seem to think changes are dramatic
  • My bra size has gone from a 42DD to a 32H
  • When it comes to picking clothing items with the heinously vague sizing: S, M, L, XL .. I am now a medium
  • I have given away 6 large black bin bags of clothes including an evening gown which cost me £160 … I never got to wear it … it still had it’s tags
  • I have lost a shoe size
  • I have discovered I have cheek & collar bones
  • I have extremely small wrists and fingers
  • Rob insists my head has got smaller … go figure
  • I have less cellulite on my thighs – it’s still there but you now have to get up close and personal to witness it
  • My boobs still droop but not nearly as much as they use to
  • I no longer have an apron tummy but I will always have a bit of a rounded tummy – wash board abs will never be mine
  • I lose a considerable amount of hair and tend to bruise easily if I don’t regularly take a multi-vitamin
  • I take more pride and time in myself – regular hair and beauty appointments, purchasing quality make up and underwear that makes me feel like a goddess even in my unflattering work trousers
  • I will more than likely have cosmetic surgery to tidy up the aftermath
  • I cannot eat bread. Or muffins. Or chicken. Or steak. Or fries.
  • I can only occasionally eat pasta
  • More often than not I struggle with yoghurt
  • What I can eat today does not necessarily mean I can eat tomorrow
  • I have had two major, kick arse chokes in the past year
  • These days I very rarely choke or spit/slime … but trust me, it took almost a year to get a handle on
  • I am not always hungry but eat anyway
  • I am still learning to listen to my body
  • When relatively well adjusted, I eat about a cup/cup & a half of food at a time
  • When I’m too tight, I’m lucky if I can eat two mouthfuls
  • If I over eat, I get hiccups, sneezes, watery eyes or shoulder pain. Sometimes it can be a combination of all of these!
  • Most of my medications and supplements have to be in liquid or dissolvable form otherwise they get stuck in the stoma which then feels like I’m having a heart attack
  • On days I still struggle with eating too much chocolate
  • Nutella does not constitute a food group
  • I do drink the odd bubbly beverage – alcoholic not softdrink
  • I can now run
  • I enjoy kick arse yoga
  • My body shape changes significantly when I am regularly running and doing yoga
  • I now have room to move in an airline seat
  • I occasionally go for a colonic to ensure that my bowels are healthy but generally speaking, I am regular in the elimination department. I don’t need laxatives.
I don't profess to be a completely reformed individual who follows all the rules to a 'T' but I have bumbled by and got some decent results.
I am still learning stuff.
But looking back - the ups, the downs, the good, the bad, the ugly - if I had to live life over, I would definitely have surgery all over again . It was the best decision I ever made.

posted by Dee @ 7:16 PM "

Wow thanks for that Olivia - how inspiring!!

I really hope that I am in a similar place this time next year. No actually, I hope I will be announcing that I am pregnant this time next year! Then I can get fat again but for a good reason.

I am having a bad day today, thinking I'll probably be one of the 10% of people for whom the band doesn't work. Do you ever worry about that? The girl who wrote that blog said she went from size 22 to size 14. I am size 22/24 now... I find it almost impossible to believe I might be wearing a 14 in a year... Am I on my own in having doubts?

Thanks Olivia for posting that...

Xx

Your not alone. I think that way too but people who don't succeed is because they do not use the "Tool" correctly. If your not allowed to eat something....don;t ! its simple! Why sabotage your chances. I know our journey won't be easy but hey...we've got a better chance than most on a diet !! I will be a size 14 by next year...i can assure :) nothing is going to stop me and nothing can stop you either...only what you eat and once you have that tool to help you.....i'll come shopping with you and we'll be prancing around our favorite stores trying every 14 on just for the sake of it ! Stay strong my friend....we'll get there....WE HAVE TOO !! xxxxx

Your on !! Put it on your calender and we'll work towards it!! Seems like ages away .... but its not....will give us time to tone up too...Muffin tops over trousers ....A thing of the past! Picture it , picture how u will look and keep that in mind. Picture what people will say as they see u lose weight, picture the summer when you can just wear a T shirt and not feel so uncomfortable. Picture yourself as the slim healthy mother one day...( My incentive too ...schhh!) we'll do it ...just keep the dreams in mind because over the next 12 months they aren't dreams ...THEY WILL BE REALITY !! I'm not naive or someone who thinks above reality...BUT THIS IS REALITY! We are on the road to SLIMBLEDON !!! he he xxxx

What a fantastic post - thanks for sharing that!! :cool:

Wow Livvy (my fellow bandster to be!!)- great read!! Fabby post - although it mainly makes me feel excited, it makes me feel a bit nervy too at what we are about to put our poor little (or not so little lol)bods through!!

Just one question - can I join in the gang for the size 14 shopping trip!!!!!! (God, I just can't imagine that right now - not been near a 14 since I was at school - I was a size 22 when I left age 16!!)

Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the Size 14 challlenge is on !!!!!!!! ha ha I understand your fears i have them too but at the moment were on the UNKNOWN side....not long to go and we'll be on the "Losing Side" and all will be revealed . I've just tried to remember times i've felt nervous or worried and in most cases it because i don't know what to expect or its something so new to me and i always assume the negative and usually find once i'm in the situation its not half as bad as i thought ha ha so i'm using that to calm my nerves and think logically.
Maybe think back to things you've been worried for and see if if the same feelings applied ? xxxxx

Woo Hoo - shopping trip for bandsters next July then!!! Sounds like a plan! Start saving now girls - we are going to need whole new wardrobes!!!!!:):):):):):)

On the whole I am not too worried, the whole nervy thing has not set in for me yet... It will be when I go in I think that I will start thinking OMG, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it!!

great posts Livvy :) you seem to be chock-a-block full of positivity at the moment!

Back