• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Introduce myself from West London area

HelenAngelfish

:bliss::bliss:

Hey everyone,

I've been popping on the forum for a while but have been too nervous to actually post and too be honest not sure how to use this site. Lol

I applied for a gastric band on the NHS 3 years ago, and although I had a BMI of 56, I heard nothing for 3 months and my GP at the time said I was declined funding as I didn't have diabetes – This was when I lived under Buckinghamshire PCT.

Now I have moved to West London and I fall under the Imperial PCT and St Mary’s Hospital, my BMI has only lowered to 54 in 3 years.

GP (He’s great) referral - 6th November 2013
Group session - 23rd December 2013
Blood tests & heart - 23rd December 2013
Pre-assessment - 4th February 2014 to meet a surgeon and endocrinologist

It’s been a quicker process so far than I thought it would be – have funding guidelines changed? Does anyone have recent experience of St. Marys Hospital or recent referals?

It’s all been very ad-hoc and unorganised (not complaining as it’s further than I got before), I received a letter 3rd week of November with the December appointment and it said if not approved by the provider my GP will be contacted – presume I’ve been approved – Or is this the appointment on 4th February?

I took a list of questions with me to the group session, but the nurses and person giving the talk (not surgeon as previously stated it would be) and he answered as many as he could – but none of them seemed 100% sure of the process going forwards.

Anyone with experience of NHS operations, can you shed any light on the process for me?

I also feel now that a Sleeve may be better for me now (didn’t really know about it before the group session).

Firstly, as I originally wanted a band as its reversible – not sure this is the right decision for a life changing operation.

Secondly, I thought the band carried fewer risks and although the band carries lower rates of dying and the sleeve risks are ‘worse’ if they happen, the bands risks seem to be more common (my own perception).

Thirdly, the surgeon has more experience of sleeves/bypasses (makes me feel more at ease).

Did anyone else change their views on which surgery is right for them?

Hope to speak to you and share this journey with you!

xx Helen xx

Back