• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Introduction and a few other questions

DanR

Six Month Post Op
Good Evening All!

After lurking for quite some time (not to mention going through all of the posts in the forum!) I've decided it's about time to delurk and introduce myself.

So, I'm Dan, a twenty six year old guy from Portsmouth who is (hopefully) starting out on his wls journey.

I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember and have tried various diets, cutting down, exercising, dieticians and medication all with temporary or no results.

So a few weeks back I bit the bullet and asked my GP to refer me to see Mr Somers and (after reminding her that I have sleep apnoea and therefore meet Portsmouth PCT's guidelines for co-morbities) she agreed!

Today I received a letter from Spire Southampton saying that I have an appointment in five weeks time with Mr Jamie Kelly, so my first two questions;

1.) If I've been offered an appointment does this mean that I have funding or will I have to apply for this if Mr Kelly thinks I'm a candidate?

2.) Has anyone else been operated on by Mr Kelly?

I'm erring towards having the bypass if I'm given the choice as I think this better fits my eating habits but we shall see :)

This is beginning to turn into war & peace so I'll stop for now - thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Dan

Welcome Dan, I myself have just stopped lurking and am soooooo glad I did, everybody is so lovely.
Good luck on your journey xx
Steph xx

welcome Dan
there are a few from ur area who will no doubt be along to answer you questions just wanted to welcome u your in the best place for all things on weight loss surgery
all the best with your journey
regards Steve

Just wanted to say:welcome2: to minis sorry i can't help you but i am sure someone will be along soon who can

Welcome! I am not in your area but wanted to welcome you.

Welcome!! You've come to the right place as there is always someone here with a helpful word or confidence boost!! Good luck!!

hi dan i cant help with your questions but i wanted to say welcome to minis xxxx

026.gif

Hi Dan, I can't help with your questions as I'm in another part of the country. However, welcome to MM and good luck with your WLS journey.

Hi Dan and welcome

I live near to Winchester. My surgeon is Mr James Byrne. He operates out of the same team as Jamie Kelly at The Spire in Southampton. I have already had a band but am having a bypass on the 1st October (I will explain later!) Mr Byrne mentioned that there will be another surgeon in on the op and that it may be Mr Kelly.

When you attend your app't you will probably also see the dietician Rhoda.

I will be interested to see how long you have to wait from referral to surgery as I know NHS funding is very hard to come by in this area - unfortunately, I'm private.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your journey.

Sorry i can't help with your query, but i wish you every success on your journey and congratulate you on finally coming out of the shadows...

Welcome to minis, a mine of information x

Good Evening All!

After lurking for quite some time (not to mention going through all of the posts in the forum!) I've decided it's about time to delurk and introduce myself.

So, I'm Dan, a twenty six year old guy from Portsmouth who is (hopefully) starting out on his wls journey.

I've struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember and have tried various diets, cutting down, exercising, dieticians and medication all with temporary or no results.

So a few weeks back I bit the bullet and asked my GP to refer me to see Mr Somers and (after reminding her that I have sleep apnoea and therefore meet Portsmouth PCT's guidelines for co-morbities) she agreed!

Today I received a letter from Spire Southampton saying that I have an appointment in five weeks time with Mr Jamie Kelly, so my first two questions;

1.) If I've been offered an appointment does this mean that I have funding or will I have to apply for this if Mr Kelly thinks I'm a candidate?

2.) Has anyone else been operated on by Mr Kelly?

I'm erring towards having the bypass if I'm given the choice as I think this better fits my eating habits but we shall see :)

This is beginning to turn into war & peace so I'll stop for now - thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Dan

Hi Dan

I have not had any operation as yet but wanted to hi and welcome to Mini's where you will get some great support from everyone.

(((hugs)))

Hi Dan
sorry can't help with your question i live in Glasgow but travelled to Manchester for my bypass (private) i just wanted to say welcome to minis it's a great gang to be part of and there is always someone who will come along and help. I'm only 2 weeks post op and it's one of the best decisions i've ever taken, Good luck with your journey x

Wow, I have to say that I wasn't prepared for quite so many responses, Thank you everyone :).

Well I spoke to my GP's surgery this morning and after holding for ten minutes the receptionist said that it looked like I had funding but then again it could've been a smudge on the form instead of a tick and she didn't want to get my hopes up!

So I 'phoned Mr Kelly's secretary who told me that I do indeed have funding :party0049: I really can't believe it was that quick or simple - knowing how Portsmouth PCT are I had geared myself up for a real fight. At least I've finally found a use for my sleep apnoea - aside from looking (and sounding) like Darth Vader!

I'm currently jumping between disbelief, apprehension and smiling like some kind of idiot, I know four weeks is nothing in the scheme of things but roll on September 23rd!

Hope everyone is okay.

Dan

Hi Dan...welcome to Minis :)

that's great news that the funding is in place...bet the next few weeks can't come round quick enough:cool:

Hiya Dan,

Wahoo another southerner :D

I am from Winchester the same as nicola (I will get there one day) I've also had the bypass with Mr Bryne (whos brill if you want anyone get him!) I haven't experienced Mr Kelly but Mr Bryne, Mr somers and Mr Kelly all have the same secretarial office so I'm sure they're equally as good, you could always request another doctor if you so wished. I had a private bypass but I'm sure the gp wouldn't have referred you privately when you blatenely stated you qualify under NHS pct funding. You could always call your gp just to verify this? Hope you get it in hampshire etc they are really rubbish down here for giving it on nhs hence me and nicola are private.

Clare x

Back