• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is it normal at this stage?

Keb2804

Hi

I'm 10 days post op and have been really quite hungry this afternoon for some reason. I feel totally normal inside at the moment. The restriction that I had after the op was great and II didn't feel the need to eat much or often. The last day or 2 I have felt hungry and soups, smoothies, cold drinks, etc have been going down really well. I have used my wilpower to stop and tell me enough is enough. I'm still only having approx 200g/ml soup per serving and a homemade smoothie for breakfast but am just concerned that I'm hungry and not as satisfied.

I had to admit that I have eaten 2 chicken wings as well yesterday that once they were well chewed went down with no problems. I know this wasn't the best choice but they were left over in the fridge and lets face it I haven't had the band for no reason and couldn't resist.

Do you think as I start on pureed and soft food at the weekend that I may feel fuller after a meal due to different textures or consistency or is this just normal and to be expected?

Since being more mobile I have had a dull persistent stitch type feeling in line with my umbilicus on the left hand side of my abdomen. I have read that they attach the port to a muscle that leads to shoulder and you can have a bit of an odd feeling in your shoulder and was wondering if perhaps my port has been attached to a different muscle causing the odd discomfort. I am pretty convinced it's not trapped wind as I have no problems in that department! I would appreciate anyones' thoughts.

Thanks
Kate

Hey Kate, I am 10 days post op too and feel the same. The last few days I have been really hungery and had to really stop myself from having some Chilli I made everyone for dinner last night. I think I will be having some mushies tomorrow. Some really milky weetabix for breakfast and see how I go. But I really do not feel any restriction, not that I expect to with an empty 14ml band :) but I feel like I could eat anything and it would not be a problem.

Hello Welcome to the losers side - Firstly you will start to feel hungry around 10-14 days post op because the swelling and everything starts to go down and I presume you do not have a fill just yet ( or very little put in during op) - Was you given a post op diet sheet??? Eating chicken 10 days post op really isnt the way to go , you may feel ok but your inside are healing still and you never know what damage you may do thats why I cannot emphasis enough about following your guidelines and post op eating rules its paramount to your healing. x x The stitch feeling you describe could be where the port is sighted and you may be over doing things and thats why you feel like this pulling sensation is occuring. Please bear in mind you have had a major operation and it takes a long longer then 10 days to heal inside no matter how you feel outside. & the odd feeling in your shoulder does sound like wind to me, you may not have had it str8 after the op it may have been building up as time goes on. I do wish you all the best and please for your own sake follow the guidelines you was given by your provider - if your in doubt for anything give them a call that is what they are there for with the post op care. Julie xx

Its perfectly normal to feel hungry, you have to make sure you are taking enough in to keep you going.

You should be getting in a good amount of calories from soup, slimfast etc along with lots of water / no sugar squash.

How many cals were you advised to have, could it be your not having enough?

Oh and chicken ???

Thanks. Yes I know Chicken! It was not a good choice I am very well aware of that, when it went down ok I though it would be fine but have been worried since. I find it difficult because I feel fine to remember that I've had a major op and to take it easy. It's weird I was uncomfortable still on Sunday then when I woke up Monday morning all of the discomfort had disappeared moving, coughing, sneezing hadn't hurt as it had the day before so that's when I though it would be ok.

I wasn't advised on how many cals I need but have been working on about 400 - 500 per day. Some days I haven't come close and a couple of days I've exceeded it. I haven't been having slimfast etc. I've been having homemade soups and smoothies with the occasional complan and regular multivitamin tablets.

Thats not nearly enough calories, no wonder you are hungry hun.

Get back in touch with your provider, its early days still though and see what they advise.

You'll be fine xx

Referred shoulder pain can also come from the esophegus or diaphragm being irritated as you can't feel pain at the sight it shows up as shoulder pain

Back