• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is scared im gonna get lost in the system..

cherry

hey guys so after speaking with the bairatric nurse last week she told me to ring this week for my third appointmnet at sunderland... and i was first told it was on the 4 oct but then they said id been booked into the wrong clinic....and were changing it this was what i was ringing up for today and they said nothing been booked and she has to wait for her super visor to get back and see why... and to ring tomorrow.... im so bloody scared im gonna get lost in the system.... :break_diet: im not sure whats wrong with me i feel like crying i so hope they gove me an appointment tomorrow.. sorry for ranting xxx

I know what's wrong with you. You're desperate for weight loss surgery. Your posts echo that. And this is not a dig at you. It's just an observation.

You're also not the only person to become obsessed, lots do and lots become deperate as well.

There are various types of people on here. Ones like me, it was a breeze. I went to the docs with a sore throat, was very overweight, he put me forward, wham bam, I'm done.
There are other people who are overweight and have to fight for funding and spend years fighting for it. There are others that are not as overweight but do want surgery and have to fund it themselves. There are others too.

Never apologise for wanting to talk about things and share problems. If people don't want to listen, they don't have to click :)

Kelly, My advice would be to keep chasing them as I was 'lost in the system' for over 6 months. I had a failed gastric balloon insertion in September last year, I was sent home & told I'd get a hospital appointment thru the post to discuss other options.

October & November passed & I'd heard nothing so I rang the hospital only to be told yet again to wait. I got an appointment letter beginning of December to say my appointment was January. Week before my appointment I got a letter saying they'd have to cancel my appointment & they'd send me another.

By March I'd heard nothing & was pi**ed off, disheartened, desperate & very depressed, so I rang the hospital again. Mr Small's secretary took my details & said she'd ring me back. Which she did & said I slipped through the net, bit ironic that size of my arse that I could slip through a net!! Ha, ha...

Anyways I managed to get an appointment in April & after a endoscopy I'm on the waiting list for my bypass which will be done around November time. Which is 14 months after I was supposed to have by gastric balloon!!!

Unfortunately we just have to wait & have to be grateful for the fact we've been approved for surgery at all! A lot of people don't get approved.

Take care...

Hey guys i know your all very true with what you say......i am soooo grateful and quiet frankly amazed that its happening for me that i almost cant believe it... so maybe thats why i feeling like this j mo they told me to ring tomorrow so fingers crossed ill hear something... and off subject to my hubbi is military in afghan so im very on edge at the mo anyways... hmmm sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrry think its all built on top of me xxx

You have the same fears as all of us Kelly!

Our biggest is that someone somewhere made a cock up in giving us funding and any minute now they'll notice and take it back... You won't get lost because you are not letting them lose you. You are, as Mickie said, just keen to get the surgery... We've all been there and know how you feel, and we're only a click away... Now for god's sake woman CHILL lol...

ps, totally get the worried about the hubby bit, hope he's home with you soon xxx

Thanks julie... sniff... haha ive had my little bit of self indulgence.... i need to get a grip.... hopefully tomorrow ill get some answer s :))........ i hope time goes quick for us to im coming into the 4 week..... roll on another 12 :-(( xxx

We all get bit caught up in it all. As soon as I knew I was on waiting list I started looking for a new overnight bag to take to hospital!! Ha, ha!! What the f**k!!!???

The I even started looking for the best delays on protein shakes etc., etc. Realised that if I didn't get a grip it wld be longest wait of my life... ;-P

Take care

Hi Kelly.
I hate to say this...and apologies to to other folks who've had their surgery at Sunderland and think they're fab...but they don't seem to be the best organised team in the world....I've had to chase EVERY single appointment, every single letter

(even the letter from the psychologist AFTER he gave me the thumbs up, which took him/his secretary 8 weeks to write.....and probably would've taken longer had I not nagged...and that was the one stumbling block to my getting on the waiting list....in the end I go so fed up I told them what an inefficient bunch they were and mentioned the complaint word...I'm an ex-nurse/midwife so I felt I could get away with it....but admittedly it's not the bet way to win friends and influence people! :-D )

so I completely get what you're saying. I'm afraid you really have to keep making a nuisance of yourself. Don't LET them lose you in the system!
and don't feel bad for feeling bad! This stuff is important, it's your life! we get that.
Sending hugs and hope it's better news tomorrow.
Charis xx

Thanks charis.... its so hard to not say arghhhhhhh just tell me.. but like you said doesnt win you friends haha actually when i ring i do it with one eye closed incase they go... urghhh you again haha o well here s hoping for tomorrow hey xx but i wouldnt let them lose me ;-p xx

You do need to keep on top of them, the same thing happened with me. Different hospital, same result.....I got lost in the system! I spoke to a lady from PALS and she sorted it out for me. Since then (touch wood) things have gone a lot smoother :D x

Charis, don't get me started bout SRH. Yes, they do some good work but if I told you about how I'd been treated you'd know you weren't alone :) But onwards & upwards....

if you do keep ringing you reckon there ll just be funny and make life even more awakward? thats only thing i worry about... like putting you to the bottom of the list :-/

Well that's my worry & why I haven't rang them to chase up my op date. I was put on the waiting list in April & my op date will probably be November.

Might bite the bullet & ring tomorrow to check I am actually on the list..........

o well here s good luck for the both of us!! haha lets hope one of us gets an answer xx

Thanks for that J-Mo. I'd love to hear your story. I'm kind of glad to hear I'm not ALONE but sorry you've had to put up with the rubbish too.

Listen all...sorry to sound so cynical here....but this is I think a bit of how it works....SRH has a HUGE waiting list, yes?
BUT the last gov's target waiting list time was 18 weeks....SO....how do you keep the list to 18 weeks (so as to avoid sanctions from the gov) with so many referrals?

ANSWER....you mess about, you 'lose' referrals, you 'forget' to order investigations, you forget to write letters or forget to post them or your secretary forgets to send them to the relevant surgeon........ you delay every which way you can...
and suddenly you get your waiting list down...because you keep people hanging about every way you can before they ever get on the list!

I don't in all honesty blame them, because what can they do when they have so many referrals and not enough beds/surgeons, money/nurses etc etc...its the gov's fault for imposing unrealistic targets in the first place!

Sorry, I know this is horrendously cynical and negative...but like I say, I'm an ex-nurse...I know my way around the system a bit...
and basically the way to 'beat' it, is to keep nagging. No, thy won't put you to the bottom of the list if you get verbal (politely)........they'll just realise that they have an assertive patient on their hands who refuses to be messed about.

Won't get you the surgery any faster...but at least by the time you get there, they know your name! LOL ...........and you keep yourself in the loop....because one thing I hate is to be treat like a mushroom!

haaahaha good advice tho a lil worrying well ill ring tomorrow and if i dont get answer ill just say well ill ring in few days and so on..... it was them tho that told me to ring tomorrow soooo fingers crossed.. x

Hi Kelly, I got lost in the system for a few months and it was a nightmare so I know how frustrating it is. My only advice to you is that you ring your surgeons secretary and keep a track of whats happening. If you ring her I'm sure she will know more about it than anyone as she's the one that arranges dates for the surgery.Don't feel like you are pestering her either as you won't be the only anxious patient waiting for your date. Good luckxxx

Hi Kelly, no need to say sorry. This is a massive life choice and it's only normal that you should be agitated and nervous about it. I am not saying you should pester the office, but certainly keep in touch on a regular basis. There's a few things regarding the process which I have been p..... of with to say the least, but eventually the Sld mob are all getting there, slowly but surely. Let's be honest, Sld in general is not the quickest flea in the blender, just look at the Vaux site!!! Hope to meet you at the next meeting - Paul xx

Back