• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is the bypass really any better than the sleeve?

wannabeminime

Hello, i have just had a quick chat with the local bariatric provider's advisor. She says that the results are better with the bypass. I will have a more thorough chat with her next week, but thought i would ask you guys. Is there any evidence that one is better than the other? I was leaning towards the sleeve, but now i am not so sure. I know that lots of you on here with a sleeve are doing well!

I'm thinking about booking surgery in approx 6 months time. Gives me time to save! I would have to do the rest on finance, which worries me, but i dont qualify for NHS treatment, and i am getting desperate :( xx

These are a few of my reasons for opting for the sleeve.

I wanted to be able to get my nutrition from eating the right foods and not relying on medication for all vitamins and minerals.
I was already a relatively healthy eater (just an overeater) and like the occasional treat. I didn't want to be scared of eating certain foods for fear of dumping.
I don't mind that the weight loss is slower as long as it goes eventually. I hope that this will give my body a chance to shrink more naturally with less risk of loose skin (not sure if that will happen, maybe just wishful thinking)

I have opted for the by-pass but I found the 'Weight-loss surgery for Dummies' book really informative about the different types of surgery options (even with the American bias) have a look in the local library or Ebay.

I was due to have a by-pass on the 5th but the surgeon ran out of time and offered me a sleeve instead! he said that although people may not lose 100% of the weight they might want to there are not mal-absorption issues with nutrients. I have read that some people have sleeves initially then revert to a by-pass later if they are not considered good candidates for the by-pass in the first instance.

Good luck with whatever you choose, both op's appear to change lives for the better x

There is no surgery that will guarantee 100% weghtloss,bypass doesnt only rely on medication for vitamins etc.We still absorb 50% of nutrition and calories from food,thats why we are advised to eat good protein.Not every bypasser dumps again only 50% do.I can eat anything the only side effect is loose bowel with fatty foods and flushing with high sugars.Maz x

Thanks everyone. the 50% absorption figure makes me feel slightly better about the bypass, if that is what i end up with. I suppose in an ideal world i would like the sleeve as it gives you a bit more freedom with food choices, and at least there is somewhere to go if regain occurs ie add in the bypass bit. But i dont want 2 surgeries, due to time off work, and i want my weight problem sorted once and for all. I worry that a few years down the line i will have stretched my sleeve and be overweight and struggling again. Can this happen? I guess there is less chance of this happening with the bypass??

Unlike you, Greyputy, i like treats a bit too much, and over eat. Maybe the bypass is the op for me after all. As for the tablets, the woman i spoke to today said it was just one ordinary multivit required, a good quality one, and 3 monthly B12 jabs, when all bariatric patients should have anyway?

I dont like the sound of the loose bowels Maz, although thats better than being constipated!!

I know what you are saying Dinda about the malabsorption issues, that worries me. There are a few people on here that have had/are having problems. I cant afford to be sick, i am self employed.

I am now considering putting a loan onto my mortgage. Not ideal, but i think may be the way forward.

Thanks again! xxx

good luck with whatever you decide Becky :) xxx

Ah i remember, you're awaiting the SA test as the first one was inconclusive. I really hope you get a positive result!:)
hahaha thanks mate :) xxx

I wanted a sleeve but was advised a bypass would sort my diabetes out faster. I know people who have had both the sleeve and the bypass and I can't really see any difference in the rate of weight loss for either ops. I am glad I had a bypass now as the chance of me dumping is quite high and I am a sweet fiend. I love Haribo!
Whatever you decide I think you will be happy. Good luck. :)

hi wannabethin just want to say good luck with what ever you choose.
i am hopefully haveing a bypass soon just waiting on a letter
for my opp appointment.

Back